FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Balisong.com-Are they any good?

Moderator: Bladejunkie

<<

Parknight

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:02 pm

Balisong.com-Are they any good?

Hey guys! I was considering buying a bradley Kimura, when I stumbled across balisong.com. These knives seem to be hand made in the Philippines and composed of some decently high quality materials. So I am wondering, Should I go through and get the Kimmy, or should I try one of these instead? Does anybody know if they flip well at all, or if they are terrible? let me know please!!
<<

MoreBeef

Beefin it.

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:16 pm

Re: Balisong.com-Are they any good?

they are Filipino Hand Made (FHM) balisongs, and while they are good quality, for the kind of flipping that gets down around here you would probably want the kimura. It's a matter of durability and adjustability. The FHM balis are usually fairly robust, but require a bit of breaking in, and then they can get loose. Therein lies the problem, with pin type pivots you cannot tighten (or loosen) them precisely, and after a certain amount of time they are a lost cause.

that said Balisong.com is run by Armand Palacio, who is a great friend to the balisong community, and it is a solid website that you can trust ordering from. He also owns and runs http://www.palacio.ph for the more modern style balisong, they are a lot more expensive, but truly semi custom pieces.
Could be worse...I could be on the short bus with the other donut punchers.
Well dingalingong my dangalonglinglong.

11th place FAToC 2010!
I got your ass next year cocksmokers!!!
<<

Helix

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:51 pm

MoreBeef wrote:they are Filipino Hand Made (FHM) balisongs, and while they are good quality, for the kind of flipping that gets down around here you would probably want the kimura. It's a matter of durability and adjustability. The FHM balis are usually fairly robust, but require a bit of breaking in, and then they can get loose. Therein lies the problem, with pin type pivots you cannot tighten (or loosen) them precisely, and after a certain amount of time they are a lost cause.

that said Balisong.com is run by Armand Palacio, who is a great friend to the balisong community, and it is a solid website that you can trust ordering from. He also owns and runs http://www.palacio.ph for the more modern style balisong, they are a lot more expensive, but truly semi custom pieces.

+1

I've got a couple. They're good, but if you want a flipping knife that is fluid and durable right out of the box, go with the kimmy. Maybe pick up an FHM from Armand later. It's nice to have a good FHM in your collection if you're really into balis and he provides good ones and is a great guy....but like I said if you were to choose one over the other to buy first, I'd say go with the kimmy.
Shaclack clack! Image
<<

Parknight

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:20 pm

Helix wrote:
MoreBeef wrote:they are Filipino Hand Made (FHM) balisongs, and while they are good quality, for the kind of flipping that gets down around here you would probably want the kimura. It's a matter of durability and adjustability. The FHM balis are usually fairly robust, but require a bit of breaking in, and then they can get loose. Therein lies the problem, with pin type pivots you cannot tighten (or loosen) them precisely, and after a certain amount of time they are a lost cause.

+1

I've got a couple. They're good, but if you want a flipping knife that is fluid and durable right out of the box, go with the kimmy. Maybe pick up an FHM from Armand later. It's nice to have a good FHM in your collection if you're really into balis and he provides good ones and is a great guy....but like I said if you were to choose one over the other to buy first, I'd say go with the kimmy.

TYVM both of ya :)
<<

harimau

Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:04 pm

Palacio's balisongs are great and he's been in the business for a long time, but if you're interested in an FHM, check out my site. :) We both carry knives that were made by the same families, but my knives often have custom inserts and my prices are better. My shipping's also a lot faster, and I have a lifetime warranty on all of my products. (end of website plug). :)
Pinoy Steel: balisongs, balicombs and a whole lot more! http://www.pinoysteel.com
<<

CDR_Glock

Post Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:37 pm

I have 2 incoming from PinoySteel. I will let you guys know how they are.
<<

CDR_Glock

Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:36 pm

I got my Balis from Jay. Stainless spearpoint and a brass trainer. Little play in either of them. Break in for Brass >> Stainless. Brass is classy. Stainless is gorgeous. I have 9 FHMs with a special order from Jay at Pinoy Steel. Jay is a good guy and he can have any permutation made. I personally favor wood over bone. Bente Nueves are the best for sheer size. Bigger is better!

Excellent construction and price! Kimuras are good but FHMs are thicker. Bente Nueves are the best EDC in my opinion. Next up with be a 33cm Cocobolo in a Bowie.

Return to Trusted or Busted