FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

User: Arth - SCAMMER (What a Scam Looks Like)

Moderator: Bladejunkie

<<

Zebra

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:14 pm

User: Arth - SCAMMER (What a Scam Looks Like)

I posted wanting to buy a BM42, and this idiot attempts to scam me. Here are the details.

He contacts me less than an hour after I post my WTB:

Here are the pics he linked me to.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/00624e.jpg/
Image[/URL]

... this immediately seemed to good to be true - the pics seemed to be of an authentic BM, but they were too authentic. They look almost like promotional photos. you know - direct from Benchmade? of course not quite the quality... so I continued to speak with the seller.

At this point - I just wanted to agree on a price, before I started getting all paranoid, so I got that out of the way.

He responded fairly quickly.

Mint Razor Sharp? These knives are a couple years old as you all know, so this seemed to good to be true. Also - he was fine with $325.00. Didn't even put up a fight. It was only $25.00, however, so I continued to speak with him.

With a price agreed on, I started to probe him for some assurances that this was a solid deal.

His response was more than unacceptable.

For his vouches he links me to some random eBay account - with thousands of positive reviews and the same name (more or less) as his account on here.

This is the eBay account he showed me.

It had no visible history of ever dealing with any sort of knives / outdoor products of the kind ever. But I still entertained the notion of seeing this to the end. By now, I was extremely hesitant to continue the talks - but I really wanted a BM42 - so I wanted to keep this going until I was sure.

As for the second link he posted... He said that he couldn't show me the visible proof I had asked for with the knife, because he already packed it. To show me he really did this. He sent me this picture.

Because, clearly this box says it all... "See, here's the box. You can trust me." (He didn't say that but he might as well have.)

I wanted to play this out until I couldn't any longer. I asked if he could ship to CT.

He replied...

Davis... @ Japan.com.... Japan.com?! what the hell is japan.com....? I found nothing on google pertaining to this - and it just seemed very very strange to me. I never trust these sort of email domains. On top of that - He gave me that email completely out of context - so I didn't even know what it was...

This made me very very suspicious - so I decided to look at his account page (yes, yes, I know, I know. I should have done this first probably. Also I should have seen if he introduced himself... I'm new to that whole concept of formal introductions on forums - so I didn't think to look into it at first. w/e I did in the end.)

this is what his account page looked like.

Not sure if you can see but it says he joined the forum Apri 29th (yesterday) - the same time i posted about a BM42.

I then confronted him about my findings.

He responded quickly, and rather convincingly - but I still was not willing to give this guy a penny.

He then sent me another message saying:

^^ this I saw right through. His attempt to seem like an understanding, honest seller.

I then pursued the most obvious form of verification that I had overlooked.
The ebay account he linked me to.

no response from him after that.

Soon later, I received this private message from eBay.

Of course this made me absolutely sure it was a scam (not that i would've given him my money anyway. Too little assurance - too fake pictures - too good to be true)

hope you enjoyed this little tale. I thought it was pretty amusing.

-Zebra
Last edited by Zebra on Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

feenxfire

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:37 pm

Re: User: Arth - SCAMMER

:TU: :TU:

Awesome post, dude! I enjoyed it thoroughly. And I'm glad you weren't one of the unlucky few that do get scammed by these guys. Glad to see you kept your shit together in the face of a NIB BM42.

I can only hope others will learn from this.

:clap:
<<

Looseyfur

Full of Smiles and Sunshine.

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:57 pm

deserved a sticky...

read and learn noobs.
"Loosey will throw down meat grinders in his wheelchair".
~Faultyply

Slaver: what is -=BRS=- ?
DeadPuppy: the future for balisongs

i blew the lid off of balisong-techniques.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<<

Bladejunkie

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:11 pm

Looseyfur wrote:deserved a sticky...

read and learn noobs.

QFT
3rd place OKCA 2012
<<

senseicharles

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:58 pm

I got this very same reply to a post I left! It's as though I you just gave me a play by play of what was about to happen to me! It can't get better than that. Good looking out! :blush:
<<

JJhamilton

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:13 pm

What a prick.....knowing so many people are really trying to find a b42 and leaching off of peoples desires....suggestion ...most of the forums ive been apart of required you to give you telephone and address before using the markets....only administration would have it but it migbt would help detour some od the scams...just a thougbt
<<

Zebra

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:09 pm

No problem guys! Yea it was some fun putting this post together haha.

Hopefully this will help prevent others from getting scammed.

A lot of times the little things are the most obvious.

The second i saw that Japan.com domain - I knew this guy was full of nonsense.
<<

Mittens

Post Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:57 am

Re: User: Arth - SCAMMER (What a Scam Looks Like)

Dude as soon as you saw the Click-N-Ship label on the box you should have known, how the fuck would he get a Click-N-Ship if he doesnt know where its even going yet. herpin'n'derpin, good post though.
<<

Piper Maru

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:27 pm

Mittens wrote:Dude as soon as you saw the Click-N-Ship label on the box you should have known, how the fuck would he get a Click-N-Ship if he doesnt know where its even going yet. herpin'n'derpin, good post though.

I thought the same exact thing, thats why that paper is covering the address.

Also this is a really great post, nice detective work.
<<

Mr.Bali-SongGuy

Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:04 am

Also look out for a guy who goes by russeljohn@gmail.com.. he tried to scam me once, and i've seen posts of other people saying they almost got scammed by him to. They need to be stopped!!! :pirate_ANGRY:
The BM 42 is a God.
<<

Daffiestlime

Post Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:32 am

A nice little tip for you guys; if you go to Google Images and press the little camera button next to the "search" button, you can search using a picture URL, or a picture from your computer. Really useful for checking if that picture is anywhere else on the internet.

Return to Trusted or Busted