FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

thoughts on trainers

Moderator: T-man

<<

slashncut

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:38 am

Re: thoughts on trainers

yeah those are mean bastards, got shot in a place where you dont want to be shot and on the fingers from a short distance by such a gun, OUCH
FATOC 2009 first place
FATOC 2010 first place
FATOC 2011 first place(shared)
<<

Matnotah

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:37 am

for me flipping a trainer is just a different discipline, which can be a complement to balisong flipping. You're not flipping a bali if it does not cut. Point.

anyway I'm not saying flipping a trainer is not interesting, it's just different. It's not only safer, you can do more tricks that with a regular blade. For example you can do rollovers on the edge (which takes a lot of skill and balls to do with a real knife).

To me there's just no point comparing trainers and balis, they are just two distinct disciplines.
third at IBTC 2008
Second at FATOC 2009
In 2010, I kick your asses !!!
<<

feenxfire

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:26 am

Matnotah wrote:For example you can do rollovers on the edge (which takes a lot of skill and balls to do with a real knife).

....ok.....you lost me.

I thought I've been doing rollovers for a while now....but I guess not if you're calling them hard. What do you mean by that?

-Stuart
<<

Matnotah

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:11 am

I meant doing rollovers in the configuration where your index is between the handle and the blade (like for the charlie chaplin) but with th edge in contact with the skin. OK, maybe you don't call that rollovers but twirls, I don't know I've never learnt the fuckin' terminology
third at IBTC 2008
Second at FATOC 2009
In 2010, I kick your asses !!!
<<

Jason

Owner

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:30 am

yep, chaplins are a form of rollovers (as far as I can tell). Think also of the first thumbover in the 8ball, where the spine of the blade rubs around the thumb.

It's possible to do that with the edge instead, but you have to move the knife in a larger circle by moving down the handle a ways (towards the latch). The idea is to roll just the bite handle around the thumb (just out of range of where the edge wants to lie) instead of the bite handle + tang (where the edge will most certainly find the thumb).
<<

feenxfire

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:42 am

O ok. That's what I was thinking.

I think, personally, there ARE people who use trainers and DO NOT use them as Bali Knives. People such as Balian. They do tricks and shit with them that you wouldn't be able to do with a Bali. It irritates me..... :evil:

- :evil:
<<

Jason

Owner

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:53 am

Yeah, at that point one might as well be twirling a stick. Not that there's anything wrong with that - those penspinners can do some interesting stuff, some of which I'm trying to translate to bali's.

For example, this: http://www.zippyvideos.com/7227202657309476/armm_roll/

Oh yeah, it's possible. :twisted:
<<

Looseyfur

Full of Smiles and Sunshine.

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:51 pm

brokenbrains wrote:Yeah, at that point one might as well be twirling a stick. Not that there's anything wrong with that - those penspinners can do some interesting stuff, some of which I'm trying to translate to bali's.

For example, this: http://www.zippyvideos.com/7227202657309476/armm_roll/

Oh yeah, it's possible. :twisted:

I have borrowed moves from penspinners... its a good source for new trick ideas.

Loosey.
"Loosey will throw down meat grinders in his wheelchair".
~Faultyply

Slaver: what is -=BRS=- ?
DeadPuppy: the future for balisongs

i blew the lid off of balisong-techniques.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Previous

Return to The Knives We Flip