FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Official Counterfeit Knife Thread

Moderator: T-man

<<

Rothman

Post Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:44 pm

Re: Official Counterfeit Knife Thread

Another update on the Twist clones.

They may lack the clean cut sharp edges of the original but once modified, they are better. Using 5/32 piovts and .020" PB washers from Knifekits these things rock! You will have to loose the stacked washers for singles but it is a very solid knife afterward. The 5/32" pivots and washers are a direct swap, no machining needed. These things are a little harder to find now, I got mine for $9 a piece and now their $12 or so only if you buy 7. I guess word has gotten out.

I originally thought that the 3/16" conversion would give alittle more surface area and therefore less play. I would have to say that the 5/32" pivot swap is just as good.

I also recently purchased a BM40T clone and a BM42 clone. The 42 clone is not too bad and will be modified with the same 5/32" pivots as the Twist. The 40T however, sucks. It has a very cheap non-hardened tang pin that crushes and deforms with just a few basic flips. The 42 model actually has a hardened tang pin and is worth the time to modify. I'll report back when the modifying is complete.
<<

Viceroy

Post Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:30 pm

Thanks, Roth. I have an original Twist by Mtech and I want to mod the screws and washers. Could you show us which ones you think work best?
<<

Wheelman185

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:47 am

I sell modded clones if you're interested. :D
-Wheel

Just started flipping? Hard to find decent Balis in the $30-$60 range? The Search Ends Here!

Don't hold out for a BM42! Take that $400+ you are planning on spending and go get in line for an Alpha Beast! You won't be disaponted!
<<

Rothman

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:58 am

Viceroy wrote:Thanks, Roth. I have an original Twist by Mtech and I want to mod the screws and washers. Could you show us which ones you think work best?

These are the pivots...
http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_i ... ts_id=2189

and the washers...
http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_i ... cts_id=496

I would personally keep the original stacked PB washers if you have a real Twist and just do the pivots. The original Twist has machined precision washers. The Twist clones have horrible stamped washers with huge burrs.

Takes all of 5 minutes and a couple bucks to make the knife so much better.
<<

Viceroy

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:07 pm

Excellent. Thanks, Roth. How many washers should I buy?
<<

Wheelman185

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:02 pm

Viceroy wrote:Excellent. Thanks, Roth. How many washers should I buy?

Bare minimum 4, but I'd get like 6-8 incase you lose one.
-Wheel

Just started flipping? Hard to find decent Balis in the $30-$60 range? The Search Ends Here!

Don't hold out for a BM42! Take that $400+ you are planning on spending and go get in line for an Alpha Beast! You won't be disaponted!
<<

mackey

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:15 pm

bumping an old thread

found the clones being sold on aliexpress but the seller lists "good" quality and "high" quality. the difference being $10US.

while i'm waiting for the seller to send pics of the HQ (if they do), the GQ pics look like the clones most people are familiar with; aesthetically anyway.

my plan is to pick up a 42 clone and use it as a beater once i get the pivots and PB washers from knifekits so i'm deciding which to get; HQ/GQ?. i have kimura 7 on the way from BHQ as i save for a BRS AB

HQ (no pics just benchmade logo):
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/BM-High- ... 05595.html

GQ (low res pic):
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Good-Qua ... 57627.html

*edit* there's a few more sellers but all just have the BM logo for the product pic
<<

Jason

Owner

Post Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:52 pm

mackey wrote:found the clones being sold on aliexpress but the seller lists "good" quality and "high" quality. the difference being $10US.

while i'm waiting for the seller to send pics of the HQ (if they do), the GQ pics look like the clones most people are familiar with; aesthetically anyway.

There are 2 versions of these clones now: The regular channel-style, and a newer cheaper sandwich-style.

The sandwich-style only has one cylindrical spacer, and isn't very stable. It also gives you one more bad connector to worry about. Considering it usually costs about $10-$15 less than the channel-style, it's probably the "GQ" you're looking at.
Previous

Return to The Knives We Flip