FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

The "What Knife Should I Get?" Sticky

Moderator: T-man

<<

JJhamilton

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:42 am

Re: The "What Knife Should I Get?" Sticky

If i were you id buy a bear ops for now and preorder an Alpha Beast. Even though i have bothe a bm51 and 2 kimuras......the 51 is now my primary flipper and i have grown to despise flipping the kimura. I even have a 62 on order. If your wanting cheap fix for now id say a Bops, or if you want to step up in price range the 51......the 51 gets a bad rep over its weight, and im guilty of helping...but if you give it a chance it will soon prove you wrong. Id almost advise you to stay away from the Ks unless your looking for quality under $100.00.....excellent build but flipper they do not impress....the Bops fit and finish are know for lacking, but make good flippers....my 2 cent and id like change
<<

wolfen

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:19 am

Thanks for the info. I may actually have a 42 lined up if I can get a reply from the seller. If not I may just grab a 51 and then an Alpha Beast later. It seems the 51 is probably the best still in production choice overall.

Edit: Got a 42 on JD from Darkstar2520. Woot. I finally get to see what all the fuss is about. :P
<<

Piper Maru

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:00 pm

Well if you are new to flipping a BM62 has a few things in its favor. The fact the BM62 is heavier you can see the tricks you are doing much more clearly. Although it might be kinda heavy to some at first but it has very good dynamics and most people get used to it fairly quickly (but everyone is different).

The BM51 is a great balisong, but clearly is a much lighter option. Moves will go a lot faster so sometimes learning a new move can be a little more unnecessarily difficult. Although when accompanied by a heavy balisong so you can get the feel for both weights the BM51 really shine.

The BM42 is very well balanced and is a great choice, as you can start with the middle balanced balisong then chose to move to a BM62 or BM51.

I have not yet used a AB although while it is heavier it is made for flipping. Everything about the AB is about dynamics and performance. It is a great balisong in every way (I have been told).

A kimura will be more along the lines of the BM62 in terms of how it feels. Granted the BM62 is a lot nicer, but both flip rather closely although I find the BM62 to be better.

The bear ops I have not yet used but it is designed by BRS so you know it has flipping in mind, and you cant go wrong with it.

Although you have found a BM42, but more then likely you will buy a few others off this list.
<<

mangledkangaroo

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:06 pm

The 51?... Or the 62

Hello everyone! Im saving up money for a Benchmade Balisong! It'll be a while since i never get money but Ill save up! Which one do you guys prefer? The 51? Or the 62?
<<

Duthos

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: The 51?... Or the 62

I've been thinking about the same thing and I think I'm gonna go with the 51. And they try to get it modded with some SS scales and custom colored liners.
<<

Zach

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:18 pm

51, its a better flipper, easier on your hands, and a good edc.
<<

mangledkangaroo

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:21 pm

Zach wrote:51, its a better flipper, easier on your hands, and a good edc.

Well i cant reallly EDC because im only 14 and i live in California. LOL. But im looking for a good flipper, and i guess you can say collecting too. The only thing im worried about is the weight and blade ware. Im getting a lot of that on my K3. I think they are rusts spots. But back to the point, the 51 is about 3.3 ounces i believe and also it uses a D2 tool steel as well. Would that rust at all?
<<

fancysauce

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:50 pm

D2 will rust within the first month unless you keep it oiled
<<

mangledkangaroo

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:32 pm

fancysauce wrote:D2 will rust within the first month unless you keep it oiled

How often should i oil it? Every other day or so? And would wd-40 work for oiling it?
<<

The Jack of Clubs

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:47 pm

Get a 51. I live in a building with a guy who owns both a 42 and a 40T. I have been flipping his 40 quite a bit lately, and personally I prefer the 51. A HUGE step up from my K5. I also own a B200 trainer for outdoor flipping which is also something you should take into consideration. The 51's D2 will rust less than your Kimura's bead blast. I use Hoppe's gun oil on all of mine, but any oil ought to work. I haven't heard a great deal about the 62, but...

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/showt ... -on-the-62

Calvin's review on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCRweVRe ... re=related
"More than anything else the sensation is one of perfect peace mingled with an excitement that strains every nerve to the utmost, if you can conceive of such a combination."— Wilbur Wright

<<

mangledkangaroo

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:21 am

The Jack of Clubs wrote:Get a 51. I live in a building with a guy who owns both a 42 and a 40T. I have been flipping his 40 quite a bit lately, and personally I prefer the 51. A HUGE step up from my K5. I also own a B200 trainer for outdoor flipping which is also something you should take into consideration. The 51's D2 will rust less than your Kimura's bead blast. I use Hoppe's gun oil on all of mine, but any oil ought to work. I haven't heard a great deal about the 62, but...

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/showt ... -on-the-62

Calvin's review on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCRweVRe ... re=related

Well the b200 is like 100 dollars. It took me a long time to get my k3. And even i didnt get it. My friend got it for me. So i wont be getting an expensive balisong anytime soon.. But if i were to get a trainer, would i be able to legally carry it in California at the age of 14?
<<

The Jack of Clubs

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:14 am

Law stuff is funny. In theory it isn't a knife, so just be respectful of people when you are flipping the trainer, and you SHOULD be fine. That said, I'm in engineering school, not law school, so I don't actually know, this is merely an assumption.
"More than anything else the sensation is one of perfect peace mingled with an excitement that strains every nerve to the utmost, if you can conceive of such a combination."— Wilbur Wright

<<

c.wigum

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:14 am

Lies!

I've had mine for over a year, never oiled it and it doesn't have any rust.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

Masharp81

Post Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:35 pm

c.wigum wrote:

Lies!

I've had mine for over a year, never oiled it and it doesn't have any rust.

I guess it depends a lot on climate from what I hear. If you're in a dry climate you prob dont have to worry as much. I'm in Florida where we have Vietnam style humidity, so I'm not taking any chances. I try to oil my D2 blades once a week, but always oil every other week. There's definitely no harm in it. Just a quick rub with some 3-in-one on the blade.
<<

Daffiestlime

Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:34 am

I'm tired of my CCC, and I'm looking to buy a proper balisong now. I've been looking at the Kimura (especially the 2 and 5), the Mtech Twist (which would obviously need some modding) and the Bear Ops B200 (Larger, maybe too thick?). Does anyone have any experience with these knives, or maybe any other recommendations for roughly $100?
PreviousNext

Return to The Knives We Flip