FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

The "What Knife Should I Get?" Sticky

Moderator: T-man

<<

Boomdiggity

Post Tue May 22, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: should i get this?

You know, now that I think about it... The knife I have looks kinda like a knock off the twist. Really the knife was a gift from my and he doesn't use Balisongs So I guess it was sorta fault, but I won't blame him. I know the twist its a good knife, but I dint like the design of it..
<<

Quintocer0s

Post Tue May 22, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: should i get this?

Switchfeathers wrote:They're apparently quite solid knives,

About as solid as zamak handles can get. They're ccc's in my opinion. Get something made with a good metal, or no metal at all like bears b200's. They even dropped in price nowadays, I'm going to grab one for myself when I can justify buying another knife.
<<

c-mon96

Post Wed May 23, 2012 8:04 pm

Re: Kimura V 51 Morpho

Iv had Both and I think both are great but to me the kimura 2 is the better choice mainly bcus when my bm arrived it was missing 2 screws holding the g10 together but more importantly iv been like literally abusing my kimura everyday at work for nearly 2 years and iv yet to have a single problem with it if you oil sharpen and tighten it, the kimura will last you a lifetime... But thats just my opinion.
<<

petrichor

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:59 pm

Re: The "What Knife Should I Get?" Sticky

I'm in a similar position as Boomdiggity with the fake Jaguars being sold out. I'm a beginner and don't want to spend a lot of money on a nice knife before I'm certain this is a hobby I want to pursue. Is there a website other than Blade Play that sells the Classic/Deluxe Jaguar?

I saw JJhamilton recommend a MTech Twist from keywestknifeworks.com but they seem to be out of stock at the moment. I found this listing though, http://www.knife-kingdom.com/The-Twist- ... -15-BK.htm anyone buy from that site before? Is it reliable?
<<

Klockwyse

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:37 pm

petrichor wrote:I'm in a similar position as Boomdiggity with the fake Jaguars being sold out. I'm a beginner and don't want to spend a lot of money on a nice knife before I'm certain this is a hobby I want to pursue. Is there a website other than Blade Play that sells the Classic/Deluxe Jaguar?

I saw JJhamilton recommend a MTech Twist from keywestknifeworks.com but they seem to be out of stock at the moment. I found this listing though, http://www.knife-kingdom.com/The-Twist- ... -15-BK.htm anyone buy from that site before? Is it reliable?

Not sure about where to find genuine jags, but you might want to look into m-tech twists, they're pretty similar.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5545&p=55085#p55085
<<

petrichor

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:19 pm

Klockwyse wrote:Not sure about where to find genuine jags, but you might want to look into m-tech twists, they're pretty similar.

http://brokenbrains.us/arena/viewtopic. ... 085#p55085

I'm not looking for genuine Jaguar knives, those are probably too expensive for me. Likewise, your sales post for MTech Twists is kind of steep. I don't really want to pay more than $30 (shipping included). I want a cheap beginner knife to see if I even like flipping but not so cheap the handle snaps, y'know? For example: if this wasn't out of stock I would have bought it http://www.bladeplay.com/item--Silver-J ... luxe--6183
<<

Klockwyse

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:10 pm

petrichor wrote:
Klockwyse wrote: I don't really want to pay more than $30 (shipping included). I want a cheap beginner knife to see if I even like flipping but not so cheap the handle snaps

Good luck bro.
<<

c.wigum

Post Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:15 am

petrichor wrote:
Klockwyse wrote:Not sure about where to find genuine jags, but you might want to look into m-tech twists, they're pretty similar.

http://brokenbrains.us/arena/viewtopic. ... 085#p55085

I'm not looking for genuine Jaguar knives, those are probably too expensive for me. Likewise, your sales post for MTech Twists is kind of steep. I don't really want to pay more than $30 (shipping included). I want a cheap beginner knife to see if I even like flipping but not so cheap the handle snaps, y'know? For example: if this wasn't out of stock I would have bought it http://www.bladeplay.com/item--Silver-J ... luxe--6183

Anything below the cost of a Kimura is rubbish and won't last including the M-tech Twist, which has a tendency for the pivot screws to strip pretty quickly.

If you want a cheap Bali that will last the best option is a Kimura for $80 or if you know the right person.... the Twists are being sold for about $40 with upgraded hardware that won't strip... or you could buy one yourself and upgrade the pivots yourself.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

Klockwyse

Post Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:41 pm

c.wigum wrote:Anything below the cost of a Kimura is rubbish and won't last including the M-tech Twist, which has a tendency for the pivot screws to strip pretty quickly.

If you want a cheap Bali that will last the best option is a Kimura for $80 or if you know the right person.... the Twists are being sold for about $40 with upgraded hardware that won't strip... or you could buy one yourself and upgrade the pivots yourself.

petrichor wrote:I don't really want to pay more than $30 (shipping included). I want a cheap beginner knife to see if I even like flipping but not so cheap the handle snaps, y'know?

I'm by no means claiming the twist is in the realm of quality as a kimura, it does however fit this description fairly well. I would recommend he jump for a kimura but not everyone's budgets are the same.
<<

c.wigum

Post Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:37 am

Yup... just pointing out that the twist is unlikely to last unless the hardware is upgraded.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

newflipper

Post Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:01 pm

Need a Cheap Knife Comparable to BM51

I would like to purchase a cheap knife the same weight as my BM 51. This would help me practice during those times I can't afford another cut on my fingers. Suggestions?
<<

Pennywise

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Need a Cheap Knife Comparable to BM51

newflipper wrote:I would like to purchase a cheap knife the same weight as my BM 51. This would help me practice during those times I can't afford another cut on my fingers. Suggestions?

I think You should just duct tape your blade, that way You can get used to the weight of the 51and you dont need to spend more $. Of course You could just send that bm51 to me and get something else :lol:
<<

newflipper

Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:31 pm

Need a Cheap Knife Comparable to BM51

Looking for a cheap knife comparable in weight to the BM51. It would help me practice while my wounds heal. Any suggestions?
<<

Klockwyse

Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:46 pm

Re: Need a Cheap Knife Comparable to BM51

Not many balis are as light as the 51 if that's what you meant. Here are your main options in decreasing price

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Bear-OPS-B ... ife--10102

http://www.bladehq.com/cat--All-Items-- ... ra?x=0&y=0

http://brokenbrains.us/arena/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5545
<<

wolfen

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:12 am

I'm conflicted. I have flipped crap balis for a long time. Finally have a decent job and can plop down up to 5 bills or so on a good flipper. Problem is, of course, the forever beloved 42 is hard to find and the Alpha Beast is MIA for the foreseeable future.

I can get a BM62 shipped today, but the asking cost is $300. I also don't like the lack of spring latch. That's really my only gripe with it other than the actual cost. I can also of course get a readily available BM51. It looks nice and is considered by most to be a good flipper, though I know the weight is really low and having only flipped SS balis before, it might be a little bit too low for me. I also like the 42 spring latch style more, but have been leaning towards the 51 for a while now.

My other option is to wait out a BM42. I see them posted fairly often, however I am a little wary with people dealing online if they have low post counts (like me, lol, but at least I'm the one paying). I can spot the fakes and scammers pretty well, though. I also know the 42 isn't the best at everything, but is a very good jack-of-all trades standard, so don't worry about me having unrealistic notions.

The final option is to just buy a kimura or something else relatively cheap, but not too cheap, then wait out the Alpha Beast.
---

What am I to do? So many options.... How likely would I be to find a 42 at a gun/knife show? One is going to be in Columbia next week and will be fairly large. Is the 62 a good enough replacement for the 42, or a decent but inferior shadow? Can the price justify it?
PreviousNext

Return to The Knives We Flip