FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

The "What Knife Should I Get?" Sticky

Moderator: T-man

<<

Silent Jay

Post Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:39 pm

Re: Need some help here guys

DreadlockBrazil wrote:I was looking some Bradley Kimura branded balis. Are they worth it? It seems they are generelly heavyer than the other balisongs.

For the price, they're worth it. In my opinion anyway.

Also, you might wanna introduce yourself: viewforum.php?f=13
Image jay
Looseyfur wrote:...spouting his wacky charlie sheen warlocks speech

15 of ?
It's just how we /roll

<<

CDR_Glock

Post Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:08 pm

Are they worth it? For the cost, heck yes, they're worth it. I'm biased against the K1 and I prefer G10 insert versions because they're thicker and heavier making them better for control. They cost as much as limited editions but they're more worth it.

I'm not into polished bladed or black colored Kimuras.
<<

linos

Post Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:42 pm

for a beginner i don`t think you can beet the Kimura...but if you are used to BMs it can be pain in the ass to adjust...the handles feel so thin...
<<

MPSecare

Post Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:43 pm

If you want an inexspensive good flipper, get a kimura.
Can't vouch for the bear yet get back to me in a few :mrgreen:
<<

MelbinoRhino

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:52 am

Knife Suggestions.

Hey everyone, I have been wanting to get a new knife. Don't get me wrong I like my Kimura alot but I don't like it for an edc(plus the fact that it's a little too heavy for what I love). I was looking at the Benchmade 51, it's a little expensive but I might be able to get it by christmas; then came the Bear Ops new balisong. I was wondering which one of these would you suggest I get? I'll try to get them by christmas so I still have time. Does anyone else have another suggestion though, for a balisong? I know the 51 is about 200 dollars so that one would seem harder for me to get. So please, suggestions are greatly appreciated! :D
<<

CDR_Glock

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: Knife Suggestions.

The G10 Kimura is superior as a flipper. Who cares if it's "heavy"? It's 1 oz heavier.

The street price of a 51 is $130 used to $185 new.

Nathan Dewey makes a great knife, the Fiend, under $100. His nicest knife is $180.

Since the Bear B200 is rustic (less refined), the nonblack blade is better. You can sand it and it will be a great performer.
<<

fluKeKe

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:52 pm

All of the knives mentioned here are great

Heavier:
Kimura
ND Fiend

Mid:
B200

Light
Morpho

In the end it comes down to what your comfortable with. I have seen people swear that they enjoy flipping the 51 morpho over a 42. Whichever knife you choose, just give yourself time to get used to it because each knife will flip differently.
<<

Kenny_Powers

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:00 pm

Go with the 51 you wont regret it i just got one they are nice
<<

MelbinoRhino

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:20 pm

Well my MAIN compaint with the Kimura is that it slips right out of my fingers. It's not much about the heavyness but the texture of the knife. I take it G10 knives don't slip as much right? If so my choice would be between: the Fiend, BM51, and B200.

My inclinations (mostly because of price)
#1 - Fiend
#2 - B200
#3 - BM51
<<

CDR_Glock

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:53 pm

MelbinoRhino wrote:Well my MAIN compaint with the Kimura is that it slips right out of my fingers. It's not much about the heavyness but the texture of the knife. I take it G10 knives don't slip as much right? If so my choice would be between: the Fiend, BM51, and B200.

My inclinations (mostly because of price)
#1 - Fiend
#2 - B200
#3 - BM51

I compare the relative sizes of the G10 Kimura, 51 and B200 on my channel.
<<

Bladejunkie

Post Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:46 pm

Re: The "What Knife Should I Get?" Sticky

The OP needs an update imo, lots of new knives out there that aren't mentioned and prices on the 4x models (as well as others) have changed.
3rd place OKCA 2012
<<

hadesminion13

Post Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:16 pm

Need New Balisong Advice

Alright, sorry that my first topic is asking for help, but I don't really know who else to ask about this kind of thing.

Here's my dilemma: I am trying to pick out a new knife, and my budget is anywhere from 0 - $200, although I'm trying to keep it less than 150. Now, I've done my homework and have read that the Kimura is a pretty nice knife, especially for the price, but it looks weird in my opinion, then I found the Bear Ops B-200, and I like the look of it but I need to know if it performs as well as the Kimura, and that's in all areas. The more information anyone has on every little difference the better, but from what I hear they're both pretty good, the B-200 seems to have a bit more play though.

What I'm looking at:
Kimura: www.bladehq.com/item--Bradley-Kimura-IV--5563
B-200: www.bladehq.com/item--Bear-OPS-B-200-B4 ... ife--10102

My above-all choice was the Spyderco SzaboFly because of its unique look, even though it's not very balanced, but I'm 16 and can't get (not even gonna ask) my mom to open up a PayPal just so I can get a knife (I'd need a PayPal because they're out of production and even if I found someone selling it for around 160 - 200 bucks on a forum like this one I'd need to make sure or just trust that they're not some shady guy selling a knock-off or whatever, then I'd need to pay them. (All 3rd party vendors such as Blade Ops and BladeHQ are completely sold out of the SzaboFly, so there's no chance there, but if anyone knows an online vendor that does still have some SzaboFlys in stock, or when anyone will get more of them, please let me know)

All I have currently is a CCC and a Kris-style FHM from Balisong.com (That's still frickin' stiff, I can't manage to break it in, also kind of need help with that) so I don't know much about the subject. Hell, I didn't even buy either of those, they came as gifts from my father (Who I'm not on good terms with right now, so I can't talk to him about it or anything, or even ask exactly what knife this is, it has wood and bone inserts, and a Kris-style blade that is somewhat sharp on both sides, but not that sharp, it only cuts me when I get lazy and just flop it around when I'm trying to loosen it and slap it against my hand too hard).

Thank you very much for reading through this long, drawn-out dilemma, and I'd appreciate any sort of help whatsoever that anyone can give me with this.
<<

Nardath

Post Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: Need New Balisong Advice

theres a pretty big thread on "which knife to get?"
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=522
but in ur situation, i wouldnt try to get a szabofly, its not a solid flipper.
if anything go for the bear and son. b-200. kimura is good and is liked but alot of people,
but if you can afford that little bit of extra, i heard the b-200 flips like a charm.
ImageImage
Third at FATOC 11'
Looseyfur wrote:the lord satan invents all tricks then he gives them to top flippers in the form of superpowers to be manifiest into reality from the nightmare realm.
<<

FkeSpydrFly

Post Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:12 pm

Re: The "What Knife Should I Get?" Sticky

The OP needs to update alittle more than just this thread...
fke
<<

hadesminion13

Post Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:26 pm

Re: Need New Balisong Advice

Yeah, I saw the thread on it, but it never specifically mentioned the b-200, which is the main item in question since not much people talk about it or recommend it.

I know the SzaboFly isn't a very good flipper, I've heard about it's very heavy bite handle and the difficulty with rollovers, but its design just gets me, something about the shape of it I guess.

I can definitely afford the B-200, in fact the Kimura is a bit below what I expected to be paying for a new (non-CCC) production knife, that's why I saw the price and heard some people's opinions on it and figured I'd ask other people about their opinions on the B-200 vs the Kimura. So definitely the B-200? Do you know any specific advantages/disadvantages it has to the Kimura? It's not that I don't trust you, it's that I want as much facts and opinions on these two knives as I can get before I make the purchase. If you have another knife in the 100 - 175 price range you think is better than both of the knives mentioned above let me know, I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you very much for your help, and I hope more people can throw their opinions in too.

EDIT:
I just found a website called NicNac.net, and they sell a lot of limited balisongs that most places seem out of stock, and they have some high quality stuff for really, really good prices. Now, my question is, does anyone know anything about this site? Here's an example link:

http://www.nicnac.net/home.html?target= ... lang=en-us

That's a polished Kimura, and no one else has that in stock, actually any polished Kimuras in stock. I love the look of some of them, but since no one else has them in stock I'm kind of wondering why nobody buys from this site (Or maybe they sell them used, not sure).

If anyone can verify this site, let me know, because they have a few products I'm interested in, but it seems too good to be true, especially the prices of said products.

Also, I guess really the main thing in question about this site is that I saw the SzaboFly for sale. It is at no other website, so I wanna know if you guys think that this is a fake or a scam, or if this is legit and I should buy it before someone else snatches it up, the price is pretty low, which makes me a bit more nervous:

http://www.nicnac.net/home.html?target= ... lang=en-us

There's a complaint here, but it seems over-the-line and there are plenty of (possibly fake) replies claiming it is a competitor's reply and is completely false:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/hobby-shops ... -3df29.htm
http://www.complaintsboard.com/complain ... l#comments
http://www.ripoffreport.com/hobby-shops ... -xe5fd.htm

Thanks, again, and sorry for the very long, drawn out posts, guess I just have a lot of questions that Google hasn't been able to answer lately.
PreviousNext

Return to The Knives We Flip