need advice on my b200

Moderator: T-man

<<

Quintocer0s

Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:47 pm

Re: need advice on my b200

Caseychan wrote:
Quintocer0s wrote:
Klockwyse wrote:For cheaper knives such as the bears we use a product called "loc-tite"

Oh, I must have forgotten that I didn't have to loctite my benchmades.

well thats certainly relevant to this topic. :|

Letting smurfs think that only cheap knives need loctited is definitely the best course of action.
<<

Caseychan

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:57 am

well, since this isnt the official loctite thread, and since in my first response i said i already knew about loctite, id say its been covered. besides, this is about me and my specific knife. whos gonna read this thread as a guide for loctite and another knife?

especially considering my original post didnt even ask about loctite.

okay, to anyone reading this thread about blade play and oiling on a b200 trying to find out whether or not you should loctite your bm51, you should.
<<

JAKMAN32

Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:27 am

Caseychan wrote:
JAKMAN32 wrote:I just ordered a b200 trainer model I'll let u know how my fit and finish is and you'll have something to compare to :TU:

thanks jak! the finish is awesome on mine, i just think fit is a matter of adjustment and lube. great knife,though. :pirate1:

Well I just got my b200 trainer today....

Bad news I got a first production run and it has some minor defects. First one of the tang pins is deformed and sits on a sideways slant thru the blade. Two of the g10 slabs are thinner than the other two. One of the tang cups is damaged from the off center tag pin I mentioned above. And one of the spacers is slightly thinner than the other.

Good news I called bear ops customer service and they asked me to ship it down to em to be looked at, glad they are eager to please their customers. The only thing I can grip about is they didn't give me a shipping label to send it to them for free.

First impressions: ignoring the defects and looking at this knife objectively... Damn this thing blows a twist out the damn water!! Thicker, wider, and longer than any Bali I've handled to date, feels good in the hand and the g10 slabs are tank like in how sturdy they are. Out the box this thing has minimal handle play I'd say about half of the g10 slabs depth of play. Flipped it for an hour before putting it in the box to ship it back and it's pretty damn smooth. I'm a beginner flipper at best so I can't really give the best critique on how it compares to other bali's.

Side note: I took some pics of the defects but my Internet wizardy isn't high level enough to figure how to post em, if any one could help with this I would appreciate it, I know noob status. :pirate_SPANK:
-Jack
<<

JJhamilton

Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:19 am

First time ive heard of hose kind of defect with the bops, curious of how bear handles it...keep us informed...
<<

Caseychan

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:10 am

mine's flipping really nice. The tang pin DOES have a weird slant cut to it. the pin itself is straight, but the ends are cut at 45 degrees.

It felt a little off balance until I added the pocket clip to the safe handle. now it swings smooth and fast.
<<

Caseychan

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:25 am

note the angled cut ends on the tang pin.
note the shiny area where the tang pin has worn the handle. This is the same on both sides.

Don't care. still badass.

open images in new tab to see the whole pic. not much else to see, though.
<<

JAKMAN32

Post Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:37 pm

So I finally got my b201 bak from bear ops. After a long delay due to the fourth of July vaca they had, and the head of their maintenance department leaving the company. They found my knife cleaned up the defects and sent it out priority next day air :TU: . I have to say their maintenance ppl are awesome I received a phone call and a guy walked me through all the parts they replaced and told me it would be in my mail box in two days, he didn't disappoint! They replaced both tang pins even tho only one was defective, and put all new handle slabs on it, and after some factory locktiting it was inthe mail and home in no time. I'm very impressed with bear ops and I'll be ordering a b400 soon as funds allow, looks like I got some shifts to pick up at the oil shop haha, icant bring myself to dip into the cash I have reserved for my alpha beast preorder :mrgreen: my whole collection is goin to be brs designed bali's lol.
-Jack
<<

Caseychan

Post Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:44 pm

NICE! thanks for the update!

My b200 is still swinging nice!
<<

Dyslexic

Post Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:20 pm

Nice. I'm curious as to see how the handles and tang cups will hold up with the steel spacers and tang pins. After months and months of abuse. I don't see the G10 outlasting say a Kimura. But, I have my hopes up that it will last a while. Please keep this thread updated.
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night. May becom a wolf, when the wolfbane blooms and the Autumn moon is bright"
<<

JAKMAN32

Post Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:53 pm

Dyslexic wrote:Nice. I'm curious as to see how the handles and tang cups will hold up with the steel spacers and tang pins. After months and months of abuse. I don't see the G10 outlasting say a Kimura. But, I have my hopes up that it will last a while. Please keep this thread updated.

Sadly the tang pins are quite short, they ate into my g10 slabs within the first couple days. The handles touch in the open position, and the spacers contact the blade, I have the trainer model so no biggie on it touching but I'd be worried about a live blade version. Think I'm gonna try my hand at making my own liners for it see how it turns out.

As for flippability it's a great knife tho light years ahead of my twist. BRS can design a damn good flipper :TU: and very affordable. I have high hopes for the b400 :D
-Jack
<<

Dyslexic

Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:31 am

I knew that the handles were going to touch eventually. I'm more concerned about the overall durability of the knife after months of flipping. You know the B400 is out already right? Over at JD, quite a few people sent theirs back because it just wasn't what they expected. The aluminum was really soft. Had some QC problems. Not a lot of people were very satisfied with the knife. Not that it's -BRS- fault. They just designed it. It was Bears fault it fell through.
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night. May becom a wolf, when the wolfbane blooms and the Autumn moon is bright"
<<

Caseychan

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:03 pm

I've been flipping mine very hard (3-4 hours a day) and the handles don't touch in the open or closed position. the back of the blade at the tip did wear a small dent in the spacer, but nothing terrible. the pins don't really wear into the g10 bad in the cups. in fact, the cups are quite silver now from metal being left in them from the pins. my knife has very little play and I've only adjusted it one time-right after I got it. for a hundred bucks, its fantastic.
<<

Dyslexic

Post Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:08 pm

Caseychan wrote:I've been flipping mine very hard (3-4 hours a day) and the handles don't touch in the open or closed position. the back of the blade at the tip did wear a small dent in the spacer, but nothing terrible. the pins don't really wear into the g10 bad in the cups. in fact, the cups are quite silver now from metal being left in them from the pins. my knife has very little play and I've only adjusted it one time-right after I got it. for a hundred bucks, its fantastic.

I love you! Hahaha just kidding man. But, thanks for the update.
<<

Caseychan

Post Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:52 pm

lol no problem.

Just for grins today I took my b200 apart and cleaned it up and oiled it, and reloctited it. The wearing into the cups hasn't actually progressed for awhile, almost like it had to wear down to where the pin would sit completely in the cup. maybe .25mm of wear in the worst spot. I DID notice on the side that the back of the blade touches the spacer, there is almost NO cup wear whatsoever. This leads me to believe that it's just a problem with blade/spacer dimensions. If the spacer had a mill or so removed, they wouldn't come in contact with each other. Having said that, I'm about to be in the market for a metallic handled bali because this g10 is too slippery for one trick and sandpaper on another. Might step it up and find a 42 or something.
Previous

Return to The Knives We Flip