FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

need advice on my b200

Moderator: T-man

<<

Caseychan

Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:09 pm

need advice on my b200

i got my new bear ops b200 today, and when i opened the knife, i literally had to pry it open. i had to adjust the pivot screws before i could get both handles to open. i worked it for awhile and got it to start swinging, but the only way i can get it to swing smooth is adding a lot of play. will adding oil hurt the g10 at all? should i just flip it and try and break it in? im not dogging the knife. this thing is very nice for under a bill. has anyone played with these things and bearings? i know theyre relatively new. any help would be appreciated. thanks guys..
<<

Klockwyse

Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:16 pm

Re: need advice on my b200

Welcome to the arena.

For cheaper knives such as the bears we use a product called "loc-tite" to prevent the pivots from loosening and falling out. This is applied to the threads of a screw, then tightened just right and left alone for 24 hours. That's probably your best bet. You can buy them at hardware stores or order it. This is the one you want (The BLUE) http://www.amazon.com/Threadlocker-Resi ... B0002KKTHW

Also, knife oil will not damage the g10 in any way.

Hope that helps.
<<

Caseychan

Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:23 pm

thanks, i already knew about loctite. I am more concerned about friction vs play at this point. i think adding a little oil and getting the copper to smooth up will do quite a bit. thanks for the response. ill oil it up and see how it goes.
<<

JJhamilton

Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:33 pm

Oil will not hurt anything and is needed to be done to all balis time to time....as far as the the play in the handles, alot of people has mentioned the b ops has alot of handle play...tighten it up as much as you can while allowing enough that allows the handles to move free and that will be the best you can do other than buying some thicker washer maybe and installing, or other mods...but the knife has been touted as a good flipper and some have sais better than the kimuras, which have very tight tolerences in the handle.....and from the specs i could see why
<<

Caseychan

Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:48 pm

yeah, thats why i bought the b200 instead of the kimura. im not sure at this point if i made the right choice as i have never flipped a kimura, but i think ill be fine with this for now. im sure once its broken in and oiled ill love it. im very impressed with the blade quality as well.
<<

JJhamilton

Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:57 pm

I wouldnt stress it ..i sometimes wish i had a b ops...most that stay in this hobby grow a collection
<<

JAKMAN32

Post Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:18 am

I just ordered a b200 trainer model I'll let u know how my fit and finish is and you'll have something to compare to :TU:
-Jack
<<

Caseychan

Post Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:15 am

JAKMAN32 wrote:I just ordered a b200 trainer model I'll let u know how my fit and finish is and you'll have something to compare to :TU:

thanks jak! the finish is awesome on mine, i just think fit is a matter of adjustment and lube. great knife,though. :pirate1:
<<

Quintocer0s

Post Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:36 am

Klockwyse wrote:For cheaper knives such as the bears we use a product called "loc-tite"

Oh, I must have forgotten that I didn't have to loctite my benchmades.
<<

Caseychan

Post Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:13 am

Quintocer0s wrote:
Klockwyse wrote:For cheaper knives such as the bears we use a product called "loc-tite"

Oh, I must have forgotten that I didn't have to loctite my benchmades.

well thats certainly relevant to this topic. :|
<<

c.wigum

Post Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:41 am

Loctite isn't just for cheaper balisongs..... it for ALL balisong's including high end customs.

Their will be more handle play in a B200 than a Kimura... roughly about the same amount as a 42. But the handle dimensions and balance is alot better imo.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

Caseychan

Post Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:57 am

c.wigum wrote:Loctite isn't just for cheaper balisongs..... it for ALL balisong's including high end customs.

Their will be more handle play in a B200 than a Kimura... roughly about the same amount as a 42. But the handle dimensions and balance is alot better imo.

thanks for the response. i appreciate all relevant input. the balance is great. im getting used to the longer handles. i think once its dialed in and flipping smooth it will be perfect. i guess the fact that its on the lighter side means the handles will flip slower, or with less momentum atleast until its broken in. right now the play is about as much as im good with. one channel lines up with the others grip, so im happy.
all in all, im very impressed with the quality of this knife, especially the 14c blade(satin). this is a flipper/occasional carry for me that wont open much more than mail and packages. so i dont have a use for 154cm. and i was a little worried about the g10 flexing, but its more rigid than any open channel sandwich ive seen. cant really get the grips to pinch together at all.
<<

Caseychan

Post Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:32 am

Alright, update. Got home from work and ripped it apart, polished the washers and blade and oiled it, looks like they already had loctite on it, I put new on. put it back together and got the play down a little more, and now I can hold it horizontally, open it and allow a handle to drop and it swings back and forth effortlessly. I will wait the 24 hour cure time to flip it but it's worlds better already. Also I noticed the blade has "First Production Run" etched into it really lightly. I don't know if these first ones are bad or good but this one gets my thumbs up. :respect:

Thanks guys!
<<

JJhamilton

Post Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:15 am

Sounds like you got it ready for business, if your unhappy with it later let me know i might buy it off you so you can try a different knife.
<<

Caseychan

Post Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:13 pm

JJhamilton wrote:Sounds like you got it ready for business, if your unhappy with it later let me know i might buy it off you so you can try a different knife.

thanks, ill keep that in mind.
Next

Return to The Knives We Flip