FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Kimura or Bear ops b-200?

Moderator: T-man

<<

Monticue

Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:07 am

Kimura or Bear ops b-200?

I don't have the money yet but I want to know which one when to get when I do have the money. I want to know things like which is more durable and which is better with aerials.
<<

Klockwyse

Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:33 am

Re: Kimura or Bear ops b-200?

The Kimura is built like a tank with very tight tolerences and durable materials. If treated well it could last a lifetime. However, it is pretty heavy and the handles are too short and square for ideal flippability. I've never handled a b200 but i hear they flip considerably better, but are of lower quality construction.

Hope that helped.
<<

Monticue

Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:07 pm

Thanks, anybody else got opinions?
<<

Quintocer0s

Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:52 pm

I have a kimura 1 and had a coupla kimura 5's. The 1 is fun to flip for a bit but I never liked flipping the 5.
<<

The Jack of Clubs

Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:32 pm

I have the K-5 and B-200 (among others), I think the K-5 is a much prettier knife, has much better tolerences, and is as smooth as good coffee. The B-200 is ugly, too big to carry, but an amazing knife for flipping, (except it pinches). If you want a knife to learn or practice flipping and nothing else, B-200. If you want a knife for giggles, looks, and tightness (?), Kimura. My personal opinion. My Smallfly came in recently, been flipping that. A tad awkward. I went to flip my Kimura (learned almost everything I know on that knife), it felt like a brick. I never noticed just how slow and lumbering it is until I got used to a lighter knife. I prefer to flip my Kimura though, it is harder, but it is much smoother.
"More than anything else the sensation is one of perfect peace mingled with an excitement that strains every nerve to the utmost, if you can conceive of such a combination."— Wilbur Wright

<<

The Jack of Clubs

Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:38 pm

Sorry, didn't even read your question. :oops: Durable for what? Practice over a bed, couch, pillow with a piece of cardboard over it so you don't cut it and dropping it won't be a problem. Durable for EDC? Get a Smallfly or 32. As far as aerials, twirls, ladders, other tricks that don't require much momentum the B-200 is better. For momentum baseds like Helix and BT8B, the Kimura is my preferred. Personally I'd recommend a live blade B-200 if you are just learning. Live blade is half the fun. Why fly if there is no chance of crashing? May as well pick up Flight Sim then. Trainers just don't thrill like a live blade. You can tape it if you keep having trouble anyway.
"More than anything else the sensation is one of perfect peace mingled with an excitement that strains every nerve to the utmost, if you can conceive of such a combination."— Wilbur Wright

<<

Monticue

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:28 am

What I meant by durable is if I dropped it on concrete what would be the worst damage. also I was wondering about the arch fiend how does it compare to the others?
<<

Chiv

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:36 pm

Personally I own a Kimura V and a Damascus bear and sons. I've been looking into picking up a b-200 as my next primary flipper. I love my bk5 dont get me wrong, but I like to flip my bear so much more.
I feel bad for everyone who isn't me.
<<

Quintocer0s

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:21 pm

Monticue wrote:What I meant by durable is if I dropped it on concrete what would be the worst damage. also I was wondering about the arch fiend how does it compare to the others?

I think the most you'll get from dropping it is scratches and chips in the blade. I drop my knives over concrete all the time (though I at least crouch down while flipping over anything hard) and I've never broken anything or had anything worse than breaking the tip off my 42 in dairy queen.

The g10 handles would probably take the least amount of damage from concrete. My 51 seems that way at least.
<<

balifreak23

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:17 pm

I own a the k3 and I love the thing, It is built like a tank and kershaw is a phenominal company. if you lose anything that company will take care of you. I have no experience with the b200 but i do own a bm51. i fell that the kimura has better tolerances and i can pretty much guarantee that it will have extremely better tolerances than the b200, though I have heard they have improved. i have not dealt with bear and son, so i have no idea about their customer service. also one is super light and ones more on the heavy side, so depending on these things you should be able to decide what kind of knife you would like. either way both knives should be a pleasure!
Seriously though if you wanted advice on how to fight.... go with the Bitch Slap as he won't be expecting that and it would be funny as fuck.
A full force slap across the chops then run like the wind.
Bitch Slap my friend.. it never fails. - c.wigum
<<

JJhamilton

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:06 pm

If you want the best flipper go with the b ops.....the Ks are great built knives but not well balanced or shaped for flipping imo......fit and finish are excellent on Ks and durability second to none, but i have grown to despise flipping them and now use my B51 as my primary. If you do go with the Ks i would go with the K1 if nothing but handle shape and atleast go with the rounded handle styles and stay away from the models that have the long slits
<<

HollowPsyche

Post Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:04 pm

Quintocer0s wrote:
Monticue wrote:What I meant by durable is if I dropped it on concrete what would be the worst damage. also I was wondering about the arch fiend how does it compare to the others?

I think the most you'll get from dropping it is scratches and chips in the blade. I drop my knives over concrete all the time (though I at least crouch down while flipping over anything hard) and I've never broken anything or had anything worse than breaking the tip off my 42 in dairy queen.

The g10 handles would probably take the least amount of damage from concrete. My 51 seems that way at least.

Yeah, you can actually flip in Oregon. I love that about that place. Haha.

Return to The Knives We Flip