FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Good, inexpensive balisong specifically for flipping only

Moderator: T-man

<<

carlosj116

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:56 am

Good, inexpensive balisong specifically for flipping only

Looking for a quite inexpensive bali for flipping only, as i live in the uk, looked into lots of different makes and apart from an Mtech Twist or a Kimura, what would be the best knife to buy around the $100 mark? not heard much about the bear ops B200, is it a good flipper? (i prefer medium to heavy weight)
Thanks,
Carl
<<

Switchfeathers

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:29 am

Re: Good, inexpensive balisong specifically for flipping onl

I've heard Kimuras make good flippers if you don't mind risking stitches from having your hands sliced apart by their razor sharp blades. They do have a tendency to rust, though, thanks to their bead-blasted finish, so if you get one, be sure to polish it up.

Other than that, The Exiled Cutlery FU42 makes a good flipper, if a crappy work knife. It doesn't have a great blade or anything, but it's strong and can take a beating, has a latch that stays out of the way and looks pretty neat. Plus it's a good inch longer than the Kimura. Had mine around 4 weeks now, 4 weeks of abusive "flipping" (sic: dropping on a hard wood floor.) and the blade isn't even chipped.

Either will put you back anywhere from $100 to $150 depending on which specific model you get.

Although be warned, if I'm anything to go on, then simply admitting you own the FU42 will cause everybody here to start insulting you for stupid reasons, so take that for what you will.

Really it's down to taste, if you've done flipping before with a CCC, decide if you like heavier vs lighter, longer vs shorter, thicker vs thinner and crappy blades vs with ridiculously sharp blades. Then chose either the FU42 or the Kimura.

[/flameshield]
<<

c.wigum

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:28 am

carlosj116 wrote:Looking for a quite inexpensive bali for flipping only, as i live in the uk, looked into lots of different makes and apart from an Mtech Twist or a Kimura, what would be the best knife to buy around the $100 mark? not heard much about the bear ops B200, is it a good flipper? (i prefer medium to heavy weight)
Thanks,
Carl

Yeah man, the b200 is a pretty decent flipper. I prefer it over the Kimura or BM51 for flipping. Some have had issues with the QC with theirs but mine is pretty decent.

If you want the fu42 I'd advise saving $60-70 and just buying a 42 clone.... they're the same thing.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

Malcolm Reynolds

be the malcolm

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:02 am

Switchfeathers wrote:The Exiled Cutlery FU42 makes a good flipper, if a crappy work knife. It doesn't have a great blade or anything, but it's strong and can take a beating, has a latch that stays out of the way and looks pretty neat. Plus it's a good inch longer than the Kimura. Had mine around 4 weeks now, 4 weeks of abusive "flipping" (sic: dropping on a hard wood floor.) and the blade isn't even chipped.
[/flameshield]

c.wigum wrote:If you want the fu42 I'd advise saving $60-70 and just buying a 42 clone.... they're the same thing.
here we go again :roll:
rms+Image= :poop:
:pirate1: + :taco: = :taco_pirate:
<<

JJhamilton

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:30 am

ilovebalisongs wrote:
Switchfeathers wrote:The Exiled Cutlery FU42 makes a good flipper, if a crappy work knife. It doesn't have a great blade or anything, but it's strong and can take a beating, has a latch that stays out of the way and looks pretty neat. Plus it's a good inch longer than the Kimura. Had mine around 4 weeks now, 4 weeks of abusive "flipping" (sic: dropping on a hard wood floor.) and the blade isn't even chipped.
[/flameshield]

c.wigum wrote:If you want the fu42 I'd advise saving $60-70 and just buying a 42 clone.... they're the same thing.

Actually the fu. 42 is a little higher than, considering you have to buy a file so you can mod the handles so it will open......just saying
<<

Switchfeathers

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:36 am

JJhamilton wrote:
ilovebalisongs wrote:
[/flameshield]

Actually the fu. 42 is a little higher than, considering you have to buy a file so you can mod the handles so it will open......just saying

Because that totally happens to every single FU42 and wasn't an isolated issue with my one knife.

Y'know, just like how every alpha beast has a faulty screw, and every single Bear and Sons knife has a badly sized latch.

Honestly, I'm regretting even mentioning that tiny little defect, it's being blown out of proportion.

In regards to the OP, go either the Kimura, the FU42 or the B200 depending on your tastes. I'd avise you not to stay in a discussion like this for too long, though. Opinions will be thrown around and getting caught up in the middle of it all is just unpleasant.
<<

JJhamilton

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:28 am

Brother if i bought a knife for $100+ and HAD to file the handles down to operate it i would have sent it back.....never have any one had to send any of the other knives back for any defect like that.....a missing screw and kershaw will send you the entire set...i know because they sent me 3 sets becuase of one screw i lost.......a screw is a minor issue....reforming the handle is a major issue, you finished making the $100 knife for the manufacturer....put down the kool-aid its effecting your resoning and confusing new people to the hobby...im glad yoir happy wih the knife...but find one case with a K, BM, and especially an Alphs that someone had to finish fo :oops: rming a handle....really
<<

Switchfeathers

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:44 pm

JJhamilton wrote:Brother if i bought a knife for $100+ and HAD to file the handles down to operate it i would have sent it back.....never have any one had to send any of the other knives back for any defect like that.....a missing screw and kershaw will send you the entire set...i know because they sent me 3 sets becuase of one screw i lost.......a screw is a minor issue....reforming the handle is a major issue, you finished making the $100 knife for the manufacturer....put down the kool-aid its effecting your resoning and confusing new people to the hobby...im glad yoir happy wih the knife...but find one case with a K, BM, and especially an Alphs that someone had to finish fo :oops: rming a handle....really

I can't just "send the knife back". No matter what knife I have. I could have a goddamn BM42 and wouldn't be able to send it back.

I live in Australia, getting knives into this country requires a bit of subtly, I can't imagine the amount of tedium I'd need to go through to get one out, and then back in again, from an official company no less.

It was a tiny problem, it took less than 20 minutes and zero dollars to fix. And the knife already operated fine without the fix, it was just tighter than I liked.

That's the difference between me and you, I suppose. I fix my own damn problems instead of crying to some company about them. Or at least, that's the impression I'm getting from you. If you lose your shit over such a minor issue.

I'm getting sick and tired of people pointing at one tiny, easily fixed defect with one, individual knife and then trying to use it to say an entire line of models is shit.
<<

JJhamilton

Post Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:34 am

There is no reasoning with you, obviously its a lost cause. And im not going waste my time trying to bring you out of this ignorance. Look at any cheap $30 cast Bear and son and the pivots line up for goodness sake....i dont know how much evidence you need that shows the knife is not worth more than a Kimura. You continue to hide behind the thought that if someone points out the flaws of the knife they just have a personal issue with the maker....not true and you seem to take ot to heart.considering you take the time to type curse in your replies. What you are taking from what everyone is telling you is we are picking on you and making fun of you....we are trying to help you and others from getting screwed. Grow up quit taking the time to type in curse words to emphisis your ignorance and listen, most of the people telling you this knife is not worth it are much olser than you and have had balisongs and other knives before you were even born....we know more about them than you not from beinv more intelligent but from experiemce.....i was flipping losing breaking cheapp ccc when you were still drooling on your bib......think about that.....and now i wash my hands of it
<<

c.wigum

Post Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:42 am

JJhamilton wrote:Brother if i bought a knife for $100+ and HAD to file the handles down to operate it i would have sent it back.....never have any one had to send any of the other knives back for any defect like that.....a missing screw and kershaw will send you the entire set...i know because they sent me 3 sets becuase of one screw i lost.......a screw is a minor issue....reforming the handle is a major issue, you finished making the $100 knife for the manufacturer....put down the kool-aid its effecting your resoning and confusing new people to the hobby...im glad yoir happy wih the knife...but find one case with a K, BM, and especially an Alphs that someone had to finish fo :oops: rming a handle....really

I wouldn't bother arguing with him, the guy is an idiot.

His review on the FU42 speaks for itself, if anyone buys one after watching that.... well they get what they deserve.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

Wheelman185

Post Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:15 pm

Just go to one of the Chinese websites for a 42 Clone or if you don't even care about a blade, snag a BBBarfly for about 20 US. The BBBarfly is a rugged awesome flipper. It's an EDC for me at work bc I bartend so yeah!
-Wheel

Just started flipping? Hard to find decent Balis in the $30-$60 range? The Search Ends Here!

Don't hold out for a BM42! Take that $400+ you are planning on spending and go get in line for an Alpha Beast! You won't be disaponted!
<<

Switchfeathers

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:46 am

c.wigum wrote:I wouldn't bother arguing with him, the guy is an idiot.

His review on the FU42 speaks for itself, if anyone buys one after watching that.... well they get what they deserve.

Because everybody who disagrees with you is clearly an idiot, c.wigum. The world obviously revolves around you and your clearly massive intellect.

Hell, why don't we just promote you to Supreme Ruler of All Balisongs? Clearly you know exactly what you're talking about all the time and have never been wrong, ever.

I mean, it's not like your hatred for JB could possibly get in the way of your thoughts on the knife he sells, could it? I mean, you're definitely the most unbiased person ever!

Cause' y'know. Not like I'm basing my review on actual use and evidence or anything. I'm clearly just making up bullshit in order to trick people into wasting their money. Because that's a totally logical and smart idea and benefits me greatly.

This is why I didn't want to even upload that fucking review. People like you.
<<

JAKMAN32

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:36 am

Pls upload a review of the fu42 it will only add to the immense knowledge of bali's on the Internet. Let ppl decide for themselves. Just do yourself a favor and lock you comments section on YouTube, swallow your pride and let ppl bitch. Haters gonna hate bud let them gators gate, you can choose to ignore anything u wish too FYI. That aside I'm excited for a review, especially the handle dimensions compared to a real 42. Should be interesting to say the least.
-Jack
<<

Viceroy

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:36 pm

I wish I knew more about knives so I could do an objective, helpful review of my FU42.

Switch, I would like to see your review of the knife.
<<

JJhamilton

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:35 pm

Viceroy wrote:I wish I knew more about knives so I could do an objective, helpful review of my FU42.

Switch, I would like to see your review of the knife.

Its at youtube go take a look, see for yourself what he thinks about it. And post an introduction.

Return to The Knives We Flip