FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Kimura question

Moderator: T-man

<<

Schismyst

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:31 pm

Kimura question

I know a lot of you guys think they are a hideous monstrosity, but personally I like a few of the styles. Especially for the smooth action and price, lol. This will most likely be my first 'real' bali, so I figure it's a good jumping off point. My question is actually about the blade/finish on them. Do you guys know of one that holds up better than the others? I'm not a huge fan of the bead blasted, I have a couple CRKT bead blasted finishes and after a couple months I've noticed surface rust. I haven't completely made up my mind yet, so if you guys have some suggestions I will gladly consider them! A couple things: I like the heavier flippers, I've got a CCC at 4.6 and that seems like a damn feather. I'd prefer something that isn't an ugly brick, like the Bear Ops b200 just looks...plain. I hear a lot about buying a Twist, which I was open to.. but I just got clearance from the wife or, "She-who-rules-the-house" as she is known around here to spend around 100 on it. Thanks in advance for reading and any help/advice!
<<

Klockwyse

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Kimura question

I'm pretty sure there's a black DLC kimura option. My bead blasted k5 is good so far too.
<<

Schismyst

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:40 pm

Yeah, I've seen the black finish, I hope that will hold up and not chip or rub off. I would be inclined to believe it would be a higher quality finish, considering the company and cost.
<<

JJhamilton

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:26 pm

I only use kershaw knives at work, mostly a blackout and i do plumbing for a living. The current one i have now is 3 years old and the finish hasnt flaked or chiped...thats not to say you can scratch it off...but it takes alot of abuse.
<<

balifreak23

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:40 pm

I have a k3 and it hasnt shown any rust so far and ive had it for about 6-8ish months. Just use a good oil ( i use ballistol all over the knife except the pivots, and wipe it dry. ) then it should be fine.
Seriously though if you wanted advice on how to fight.... go with the Bitch Slap as he won't be expecting that and it would be funny as fuck.
A full force slap across the chops then run like the wind.
Bitch Slap my friend.. it never fails. - c.wigum
<<

HollowPsyche

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:30 pm

I've got the K7, it used to rust a bit, then I started letting it soak in WD-40 every night while I slept. You don't need to do it that often, you could probably get away with once or twice a week. That's what I've been doing. My friend has the K3, and never oils it, and it hasn't rusted at all. They're fantastic knives, and if you're really thinking of buying one, and haven't yet, I suggest you do so. :TU:
<<

kool ranqe

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:18 am

I've got the k6 and i've had it over a year now, no rust and holds up great. I don't soak it, and i've only cleaned it once(although i havn't played with it in awhile). Great knife for the price.
<<

Walle273

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:57 am

After getting annoyed with my K2 rusting and having to oil it up all the time just to get dust and other shit sticking to the blade, I decided to polish the blade and the inside of the handles. the only down side is that, its a $100 knife and if that is a lot to you, which it is to me, then it is kind of hard to mess with, without being a bit afraid that something is going to go wrong, so I suggest just get the knife and flip/use it for a while and see where it takes you, if it rusts I suggest tooth past or some finer polish on a piece of paper towel. but they are great knives and hold up really well, the only other knife that I can think of in the price range is the nicer bear opps knifes, but I dont know how well they hold up.
"FATOC is fun.
so are cartoons."(Looseyfur)
<<

savage12k

Post Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:24 pm

Walle273 wrote:After getting annoyed with my K2 rusting and having to oil it up all the time just to get dust and other shit sticking to the blade, I decided to polish the blade and the inside of the handles. the only down side is that, its a $100 knife and if that is a lot to you, which it is to me, then it is kind of hard to mess with, without being a bit afraid that something is going to go wrong, so I suggest just get the knife and flip/use it for a while and see where it takes you, if it rusts I suggest tooth past or some finer polish on a piece of paper towel. but they are great knives and hold up really well, the only other knife that I can think of in the price range is the nicer bear opps knifes, but I dont know how well they hold up.

Are you still annoyed with your K2? I will be glad to relieve you of that burden... :twisted:
Angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night... Ginsberg.

Ut in acuta!!!

"Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Steady, Steady is Fast, and Fast is Deadly." 1Lt Chong, 4/6 Air Cav
<<

B1ade30

Post Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:29 pm

I get rhe same thing on bead blasted on bead blastsd it opens the pores on the steel making it easier to rust the way to fix that is the oil your blade every week or sooner
Look me up on youtube b1ade30 i make balisong vid and subscribe

Return to The Knives We Flip