FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Benchmade 51 Concerns

Moderator: T-man

<<

HollowPsyche

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:23 pm

Benchmade 51 Concerns

Hey guys,
So I've had my 51 for a little over a week, I think now. I have a couple of concerns about it.
1.) On the safe handle, where the latch locks up, the anodizing has worn off back to silver around the edges. Yes, I lock my knife up everytime I'm not using it. The same thing has happened to the pocket clip too.
2.) If I squeeze the two sides of either handle together, I can bend the two sides of the handles. I cannot make them touch, but they bend. I thought the titanium liners would be stronger than that, so I'm not sure if I should be concerned about that.
So my question is to anyone who has a 51, has the anodizing worn off at all? And can you squeeze the liners closer to eachother? Any input would be awesome. Thanks.
<<

JJhamilton

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:18 pm

Re: Benchmade 51 Concerns

Mine has all the same effects........ti is strong and it would take alot to bend them permenantly together..the places the anodi has worn off are high wear areas...it happens....quit trying to find something wrong with it...or you could trade it to me for a polished kimura 5...you will not be able to bend the handles together without a vise, and the polish wont wear off....
<<

HollowPsyche

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:22 pm

Haha. I'm not trying to find something wrong with it, so much as it's my first Benchmade, and my dream knife, so I'm really just being overly paranoid. Haha. Thanks though. :) I think I'll pass on the Kimura, but thanks for the offer! :D
<<

balifreak23

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:22 pm

theres nothing wrong with your knife and the anodizing wears off on everyones especially if you clean it... just flip that damn thing lol
Seriously though if you wanted advice on how to fight.... go with the Bitch Slap as he won't be expecting that and it would be funny as fuck.
A full force slap across the chops then run like the wind.
Bitch Slap my friend.. it never fails. - c.wigum
<<

Mittens

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:46 pm

If youre interested I can re-anodize the liners a color of your choice if you wish. PM me.
<<

HollowPsyche

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:20 pm

I'll definitely take that into consideration, thanks!
<<

JJhamilton

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:53 am

Mittens wrote:If youre interested I can re-anodize the liners a color of your choice if you wish. PM me.

I will remeber that......
<<

HollowPsyche

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:00 am

The only reason I was so worried about the anodizing wearing off, was because I hadn't really heard of it before, so when I was looking it up and asking my friend who works with a lot of stuff like that, people chose to anodize because it didn't wear off or chip. But it's a relief to know it happens to everyone's, and titanium is a thinner color than aluminum. :D
<<

chadlikesknives

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:53 am

Same over here. I'm a proud owner of the 51S and it is turning silver where the latch hits the anodized part and the clip is doing the same. I actually think it gives it some character. My handles will also bend somewhat, but I'm sure that's meant to happen to give it some flexibility. I trust benchmade; I'm sure they know what they're doing lol
<<

k9jsb

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:18 am

I can understand your concern, firstly the 51 ain't cheap and secondly, you wouldn't expect the liner colour to start wearing after 1 week!

Im actualy in the habit of not closing the latch between each use.

Return to The Knives We Flip