FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Les Voorhies Model 1 balisong review

Moderator: T-man

<<

Piper Maru

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:47 pm

Les Voorhies Model 1 balisong review

I recently obtained a Les Voorhies Model 1 balisong with carbon fiber inserts with copper wire entwined. As always I start the review off with general information.

Other then my FTWCM and Nixel balsiong, the Les Voorhies Model 1 balisong is my first custom balisong. It is also my first balisong with IKBS, which is something that takes some time getting used to at first. The fit and finish (something I will go into more detail later) is just amazing. The LV M1 is easily the nicest knife I own. I see why LV is so popular. Everything about this balisong is really well built. This knife can not really be compared to that of a BM42 or CS AA although I think the LV M1 for sure holds its own as a flipper. Also to me LV knives are usable art without a doubt. Well now to get on with the review.

First I will start off with the aesthetic.

The first thing the owner will notice is the amazing carbon fiber inserts. Of course the overall build is also striking. The carbon fiber sits really well on the blade and has a great texture and is quite smooth actually. It does add some nice grip, and the fact it is placed on titanium this does not feel like a super light balisong like most that include carbon fiber. Also the fact that it has copper wire it has a unique and very pleasing aesthetic look.

Also moving on the pivot area. You notice their is not actually a tang pin. Also it has a interesting "star" look unlike the BM42 which is just a dome. The tang area that looks like a "star" really gives this balisong a lot of character. This is just a really impressive balisong regards if it is open or closed.

Also this LV M1 has a really nice roller pin latch. This latch does not get in the way of flipping at all, also as I was told, the screws actually have their own washed on this balisong. Also a screw has been put in the roller pin so it cant fall out. This is a really secure fitting latch, and really fits along with the quality of the balisong as a whole.

On to the blade. The blade is made of S30V and is really impressive. The grind is just great. Also this knife is crazy sharp which is to be expected. Again the blade profile fits the overall balisong nicely and does not seem out of place.

The thing that I really like is, most of the aesthetic could easily be mentioned in the performance section, as most all these things are functional, and are not just for looks. The LV M1 is a understated design that still speaks volumes.

Now the performance.

As you know, I am not a great flipper (yet, or at all) but I know enough for the most part to be able to tell if I like a balisong or not. With that in mind, on to it.

Of course the first thin any one would notice is the fact that this balisong is IKBS. As I mentioned I had never used a knife with IKBS before. I was always told it has a gliding feeling. Well that description is correct. The IKBS on the LV M1 is so incredibly smooth and accurate. Their is absolutely (or hardly) any handle or blade play. It is a very solid knife and a even more solid flipper. While I was used to the CS AA longer handles and blade, I had no issues converting to the LV M1. The dynamics are spot on, and it is really fun to flip. Again for the most part the most advance trick I know is the full twirl (not saying much I know) but the full twirl feels really great.

Although the tricks are really fast. Even if you are not that great of a flipper thats just how this balisong works, things are fast. So this might not be the best balisong to use when learning new tricks, but once you have learned them they look great when performed on the LV M1. Just like the CS AA tricks feel really secure, and solid. I still can not really do a chaplin with anything except a BM42 or a BM40TR.

I am really quite impressed at how well the LV M1 handles. It really is a great balisong. Also I want to note the sound. The sound the LV M1 makes is really great, of course I think that is due to the IKBS, but it is a soft defined click sound. I have not had any other balisong that sounds like the LV M1. Or atleast not at this point in time.

Overview.

As people can see I dont have any real qualms about this balisong other then it is crazy fast, but I dont mind that in all honesty. Also I compare this LV M1 to the first time I drove a performance sports car. You dont really know what "quality" is until you have used something on this caliber. It really is a awesome experience, everything is made to a high grade. LV knives done appear for sale often but they are more then worth it for sure.

I hope you all enjoyed the review.

<<

Quintocer0s

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:22 pm

Re: Les Voorhies Model 1 balisong review

Do the horns effect the flipping for rollovers and such?
<<

Piper Maru

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:34 pm

Re: Les Voorhies Model 1 balisong review

I have not found it inhabits my ability to do rollovers. That being said rollovers are not my strongest move yet. Although they feel quite secure, also they are really fast with the IKBS.

This balisongs does twirls really well (as of right now, I think that might be its strongest move set).

I have not found a move to be completely impossible on the LV M1 as of yet. The horns or ears if anything make everything more balanced.

Return to The Knives We Flip