FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

BM51 a bad flipper?

Moderator: T-man

<<

DMSHA

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:29 pm

BM51 a bad flipper?

I was reading the CZAT backlog and ran across the end of a conversation about the BM51 and how it was not a good flipper. Is the BM51 a bad flipper because of its weight? I have been trying to learn on one, should I go and try to get a Kimura or something to learn on rather than the 51, or will the weight only become an issue once I get more advanced in my techniques?
<<

The Jack of Clubs

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: BM51 a bad flipper?

I have both a Kimmy and a 51 (among others) I prefer the 51. if you want to maximize its flipping potential, take off the pocket clip and latch and put a bit of tacky putty on the ends of the handles, different colors if you want so you can id which handle will make you bleed. But really, it isn't so much about the knife as it is about the person. Once you get out of CCC territory anyway. Also, have you been to the JDBA? I think this has been brought up over there.
"More than anything else the sensation is one of perfect peace mingled with an excitement that strains every nerve to the utmost, if you can conceive of such a combination."— Wilbur Wright

<<

DMSHA

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:00 pm

The Jack of Clubs wrote:I have both a Kimmy and a 51 (among others) I prefer the 51. if you want to maximize its flipping potential, take off the pocket clip and latch and put a bit of tacky putty on the ends of the handles, different colors if you want so you can id which handle will make you bleed. But really, it isn't so much about the knife as it is about the person. Once you get out of CCC territory anyway. Also, have you been to the JDBA? I think this has been brought up over there.

I have read that the pocket clip makes a difference, is it a huge difference in flipping in your opinion? I am planning on taking it off, and contacted Benchmade about it. Long story short I have a full set of BM51 screws and pins in the mail, hopefully they'll be here by next weekend so that I can get the clip off and still maintain the ability to add it back on if I feel like it. I want to keep the latch, but I could be convinced on taking it off. Does the latch make a difference, or is it just so you can put the putty at the end?

The tacky putty sounds like the O-Ring modification, I'm assuming that they both work in that they add weight to the end of the handles giving them more momentum, is that right? Have you tried the O-Ring mod yourself?

I'm still an almost complete noob, so I really don't know what my 'style' is yet, if that's what you mean by 'it is about the person'. This IS my first bali outside of the $20 range, but my CCC was around the same weight, maybe a little heavier, but more of the weight was in the handles I believe.

I have only briefly browsed JD before, not sure about JDBA (is that the Balisong part of JD), though I have heard of them, obviously, but I haven't gotten around to heading over there as of yet.

Thanks man!
<<

JJhamilton

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:40 am

The 51 is considered one of the good flippers...my fav.....if you remove the clip there is a possibility of never being able to reinstall.....if you dont mod the pins the latch pin will eventually fall out and be lost....omce the pins are moded it will require new ones to reinstall clip...to have more info on how to mod for clip removal seek calvinations youtube vid on 51 clip removal mod......it does imop flip better without clip...some people never bothers them.....i suggest you think hard on what is most important to you...
<<

DMSHA

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:44 pm

JJhamilton wrote:The 51 is considered one of the good flippers...my fav.....if you remove the clip there is a possibility of never being able to reinstall.....if you dont mod the pins the latch pin will eventually fall out and be lost....omce the pins are moded it will require new ones to reinstall clip...to have more info on how to mod for clip removal seek calvinations youtube vid on 51 clip removal mod......it does imop flip better without clip...some people never bothers them.....i suggest you think hard on what is most important to you...

I thought ahead, and as I said, ordered extra clip pins so that I have one set for the clip to be attached and one set for no clip. Thanks for the word of caution though.

Have you tried it with and without the latch as well? Jack of Clubs was recommending that I remove that as well, what's your opinion on this?

Have you done the O-Ring mod?
<<

JJhamilton

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:08 pm

Imo it flips better without the clip.....but better flippers have stated it didnt bother them.....i sometimes wish id never removed mine.....i suggest you flip with it for some time before committing.....good luck
<<

The Jack of Clubs

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:06 pm

If you have the new hardware incoming you will be fine, assuming the new pins are short enough. If not you will need to sand them so you don't lose the latch pin thing. If you see a gap in the g-10 or Ti, you will need to sand the pins down. I took the latch off because I only flip it, no carry for me. never thought about o-rings. I love flipping it. Very light and fun because of that.
"More than anything else the sensation is one of perfect peace mingled with an excitement that strains every nerve to the utmost, if you can conceive of such a combination."— Wilbur Wright

<<

DMSHA

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:32 pm

The Jack of Clubs wrote:If you have the new hardware incoming you will be fine, assuming the new pins are short enough. If not you will need to sand them so you don't lose the latch pin thing. If you see a gap in the g-10 or Ti, you will need to sand the pins down. I took the latch off because I only flip it, no carry for me. never thought about o-rings. I love flipping it. Very light and fun because of that.

Ya, they are the stock pins, so I'm going to have to go and sand them down to fit. Thanks for all the help man! :D
<<

The Jack of Clubs

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:17 am

DMSHA wrote:
The Jack of Clubs wrote:If you have the new hardware incoming you will be fine, assuming the new pins are short enough. If not you will need to sand them so you don't lose the latch pin thing. If you see a gap in the g-10 or Ti, you will need to sand the pins down. I took the latch off because I only flip it, no carry for me. never thought about o-rings. I love flipping it. Very light and fun because of that.

Ya, they are the stock pins, so I'm going to have to go and sand them down to fit. Thanks for all the help man! :D

Well if they are the stock pins like the one on the safe handle you will be fine. Only the bite handle ones are too long, assuming the clip is removed that is. Just put 'em in and see before you do any modifications to them.

<<

JJhamilton

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Yeah if you got the safe handle pins you should be good to go wothout mod.....you need2 though....the safe handle only has one of course. Goodluck.....
<<

HollowPsyche

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:40 am

Nah man, that's ridiculous. The 51 is a great knife, as well as a flipper. In all honesty, it probably makes a better flipper than a knife. It's balanced well enough, and my personal opinion on the pocket clip: it's a smaller, and less clunky pocket clip than on most balis. I hate pocket clips on balis, but this one doesn't really get in the way at all. And aside from that, it actually helps me when flipping the knife. It adds more weight to the bite handle, and gives it more momentum when swinging it around. And once you get this knife going, it flies. It's a fast knife, so you've gotta' have fast fingers to manipulate it. Haha. But is it a bad flipper? Not at all. I've got a Kimura VII, too, and the 51 is much preferred for me. They're both fantastic knives, and while the 51 is a better flipper than a knife, the Kimura is a better knife than a flipper. It's a lot heavier, more robust, all stainless steel, very solid, thicker blade, comes a lot sharper, etc. I know that's off topic, but I thought I'd add it in there. Anyways, enjoy that 51! It's a wonderful knife, and if you get a chance, I recommend picking up any one of the Kimuras as well. You won't be disappointed. :TU:
<<

Zach

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:25 pm

DMSHA wrote:I was reading the CZAT backlog and ran across the end of a conversation about the BM51 and how it was not a good flipper. Is the BM51 a bad flipper because of its weight? I have been trying to learn on one, should I go and try to get a Kimura or something to learn on rather than the 51, or will the weight only become an issue once I get more advanced in my techniques?

I've flipped it for over a year, flip it as it is and you'll be fine. the weight makes it harder but if you put in the praactice it wont matter. You can always upgrade if you get really good with it and need something different.
<<

jjk978

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:31 pm

When flipping this does the g10 handles rub on your hands unlike smooth metal handles? :?:
<<

echoshock

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:52 am

jjk978 wrote:When flipping this does the g10 handles rub on your hands unlike smooth metal handles? :?:

You shouldn't notice any extra friction. It's pretty smooth.
I would rather drive to your house and beat your ass in front of your kids.- Loosey

"oOooOololoolikikikolollLOOoloOollllololol"- Nards
<<

c.wigum

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:27 am

The 51 isn't a bad flipper, it's just average compared to what's out there. For the money it's pretty good. I'd rate the b200 slightly better as a flipper, but the quality between the two isn't comparable.

The latch on mine has never bothered me, nor has the clip. I can't really understand why anyone would want to take them off, IMO they don't get in the way and the weight of the clip us negligible.

The 51 is great for twirling, but I find that it sucks for any thumb roll over type trick, because the handles don't carry the momentum all that well. I've never tried the orings, but from what I have seen they wok well. It needs more weight in the rear for momentum and the o rings would probably do that.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
Next

Return to The Knives We Flip