FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

How good flippers are the BM43 clones?

Moderator: T-man

<<

carlosj116

Post Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:06 pm

How good flippers are the BM43 clones?

Just picked one up for $24 and have to wait for shipping and was wondering, how good are these for flipping?
Thanks,
Carl
<<

Truepaganini

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:33 pm

Re: How good flippers are the BM43 clones?

I don't know if you have already received the knife, but seeing as nobody responded i figured why not. I have a 47 clone that i purchased from overseas, and i also have a fu42 which is very similar to the 4x clones. I can tell you that for what you pay for you are getting a pretty dang good knife. For the meager $30-$40 that they cost they will out flip 99% of the ccc's out on the market. The parts that are used are pretty solid, being all medal and will not fall apart on you anytime soon. Flipping wise i prefer a kimura, (I find rollovers are easier and generally smoother) but you can certainly do almost every move if you have the skill to do them on the clones. Beware though, mine came with a busted up pivot screw and the handles being ridiculously tight, so you may have to make some adjustments. All that being said, I hope you will, or have been enjoying your new knife! :D
<<

Wheelman185

Post Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:27 am

I sell upgraded ones.

Only real flaw are the pivots, washers, and spring latch. Most of the pivots are made of crap and aren't machined very well. Most are warped and could or could not cause problems flipping. They are also prone to stripping. Washers are pretty much the same story. The handle and blade material is excellent. They actually come quite sharp and hold a decent edge.

As with the rest of the clones they make overseas and they just lack consistancy when concerning detail. The gaps for the channel style handles can vary making it tough to just simply replace the parts. Sometimes a bit of extra filing and grinding are in order to achieve that tighter lockup of the true production ones.

The spring latch is hit or miss. Typically it's a miss. The stainless steel spring they use either isn't rigid enough, has too many coils, or both. The latch itself doesn't have the full UFO shape most of the time, and doesn't actually set in the recess they have for it to.

In the batches of them I typically order one in 4 didn't flip as good out of the box. Main problem being the pivots used were too warped.

They still flip nicely out of the box and Post Modifications, they flip better than Kimmies IMHO! Even the Twists! They are just better suited for rollovers than the Kimmies.

The production Benchmades still flip better, and I attribute that to all the "attention to detail" adding up. It's amazing how we take little stuff like that for granted.

(On another side note, none of the aformentioned flippers hold water to the BRS Alpha Beast!)
-Wheel

Just started flipping? Hard to find decent Balis in the $30-$60 range? The Search Ends Here!

Don't hold out for a BM42! Take that $400+ you are planning on spending and go get in line for an Alpha Beast! You won't be disaponted!
<<

exile82187

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:20 pm

I don't buy knock offs but these seem like they will be nice CCC not sure why they went through the trouble of knocking off benchmade knives these would sell wonderfully if they just listed them like the jaguar clones of bechmades and put them up as spring latch classic or something like that.
<<

Jason

Owner

Post Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:16 pm

exile82187 wrote:I don't buy knock offs but these seem like they will be nice CCC not sure why they went through the trouble of knocking off benchmade knives these would sell wonderfully if they just listed them like the jaguar clones of bechmades and put them up as spring latch classic or something like that.

Yeah, it would be fantastic if they weren't so counterfeit.

I suspect the reason they went through the trouble was that the counterfeits were more an end than means. In other words, someone was looking to sell counterfeits specifically, instead of just another cheapie. This allowed for a higher cost and better materials than the common cheapie. Then the demand for a medium-low end bali in the same league as a Twist kind of took over.

Return to The Knives We Flip