FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Microtech Tachyon 2

Moderator: T-man

<<

hukfin

Post Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:34 pm

Microtech Tachyon 2

Do you think that this knife will be worth it for 280$ for a flipper?
Do you think it will be a good user?
<<

Cpfrombv

Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Microtech Tachyon 2

hukfin wrote:Do you think that this knife will be worth it for 280$ for a flipper?
Do you think it will be a good user?

Don't know as of yet friend. A few guys on JD have flipped it and said it was good, but that was the Protos. I think they are going out in a few days, so we will soon learn. Can't wait to see. :D
Mom told me not to run with scissors, but she never said I couldn't play with knives.
<<

hukfin

Post Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:45 am

Yeah...
Only time can tell.
I saw the updated photos on BladeHQ.
So excited
<<

Skaunders

f.k.a. DumbNinjaDude

Post Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:39 am

If I remember correctly there was a review done on the Tachyon 1 that said it flipped really well and it would flip as well as a 42 if it were only longer, which is the case for the Tachyon 2. So in theory it'll flip almost as well as a 42... in theory. I don't remember who did the review though.
<<

sirhorsechoker

Post Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:43 pm

the tach2 is a great flipping knife.

i put it right up there with my all time favorites, the 42 and AB. its definitely worth the money.
<<

flipmag

Post Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:06 am

Im surprised this knife has not gotten more attention on this forum.....does anybody actually own one?
<<

SirBilliamBoyd

Post Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:08 pm

Mine's on it's way home right now 0-:3
"Don't hurt yourself" ;)
<<

Uh-Oh

Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:50 am

Got mine #266, and it is super smooth. The longer handles make it way more pleasing to flip than the first Tach.
Good momentum, its length and weight make it flip a little slower than my usual BM43.
Only cons I have found are the square handles make some rollover moves a little difficult, for example BHT8B took me a little more practice to get used to on that knife than most other moves.
some moves I have yet to try much because my right middle finger is sliced wide the hell open.
I believe for the price, you are not going to find much better. Especially with Ti handles under $300.
Keep it spinning
<<

Truepaganini

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:42 pm

I just got mine today, and i have to say it looks amazing. I can't get over that bowie blade with the three slots at the top. Its definetly a large balisong, but the ti handles make it fairly light for its size. It flips amazingly, and is very quiet. This might be the biggest bang for your buck balisong out there. Moral of the story... BUY ONE :D
<<

nitegaunt

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:17 pm

I flipped the one cpfrombv got in the mail the other day. It's pretty nice. Good flipper and I think it looks great. I don't know about it as far as an edc goes, though. Personally, I think the price is a little high especially for a knife to carry around with you. I'd say the Kimura is a better balance between flipper and usability. But the Microtech is still a sweet flipper and it has a really good fit and finish to it. That bushing system is smooth.
Flip it like it's hot!
<<

hukfin

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:17 pm

Thank you for the responses.
I am pretty convinced that I should buy one.
<<

Cpfrombv

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:57 pm

Nitegaunt put it exactly as I would. I will say that mine has the same problem as everyone elses when it comes to the blade tip hitting the latch. I cut a washer down to size and fit it around the spacer, which has so far, kept the blade tip from hitting. That aside, I will have to say that I do like the knife, but I still would like to have an Alpha Beast. I think it would be the best of both worlds, a great flipper and a great EDC. If you do get a T2, I don't think you will be disappointed with it.
Mom told me not to run with scissors, but she never said I couldn't play with knives.
<<

Skaunders

f.k.a. DumbNinjaDude

Post Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:39 am

Having flipped SirBilliamBoyd's Tach II, it's a really nice flipper and handles really well. I'd say well worth the money.

I do have a few beefs with it though; I find the squareness of the handles to be irritating when doing things like a hellish or a helix, that may just be a need to adjust to it though. The other thing is the horns; I find myself getting pinched by them quite a bit when I do chaplains or twirling. Again, that may just be because I haven't really taken the time to adjust to flipping it.

Aside from the minor issues above, there are a few things I really love about it; the latch (on Billiam's anyway) is so tight that it will not move unless you physically use your hand to move it, it'll stay in whatever position you put it in throughout your flipping. The length of it is really nice too, I find that it makes manipulation a bit easier and helps to distribute the weight. Finally, the blade is sweet looking, I love how its profiled and the three slots in the spine really give it a nice look. The only thing I'm not too crazy about is just how sharp the tip is, but as long as you don't fuck up its fine.

All considered, great knife and really fun to flip.

Return to The Knives We Flip