FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Got $40 to Spend. Which Knife?

Moderator: T-man

<<

newflipper

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:09 pm

Got $40 to Spend. Which Knife?

Got $40 dollars to spend. Looking at Bear and Son Butterfly Black, the Tank and an M-Tech Twist. Which one should I spend my money on?
<<

T-man

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: Got $40 to Spend. Which Knife?

mtech twist.
:mrt:
" It comes with the territory." - Jessica
" :vid: <--- Cause that's how shit works here for everyone :stickwhack: " - Silent Jay
<<

Wheelman185

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:43 pm

I got a twist for ya!
-Wheel

Just started flipping? Hard to find decent Balis in the $30-$60 range? The Search Ends Here!

Don't hold out for a BM42! Take that $400+ you are planning on spending and go get in line for an Alpha Beast! You won't be disaponted!
<<

xristan

Post Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:49 am

Wheelman185 wrote:I got a twist for ya!

is there any way you'd ship overseas?
<<

echoshock

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:48 pm

Keep saving.
I would rather drive to your house and beat your ass in front of your kids.- Loosey

"oOooOololoolikikikolollLOOoloOollllololol"- Nards
<<

flipmag

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:03 pm

Seriously, save your money and buy a Kimura. I have a Twist and a Kimura 5. There is a night and day difference. With a twist, you will be wasting your money. A Kimura is worth every penny, and you will be glad you bought one.
<<

Wheelman185

Post Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:12 am

flipmag wrote:Seriously, save your money and buy a Kimura. I have a Twist and a Kimura 5. There is a night and day difference. With a twist, you will be wasting your money. A Kimura is worth every penny, and you will be glad you bought one.

Not an upgraded twist! :D
-Wheel

Just started flipping? Hard to find decent Balis in the $30-$60 range? The Search Ends Here!

Don't hold out for a BM42! Take that $400+ you are planning on spending and go get in line for an Alpha Beast! You won't be disaponted!
<<

Skaunders

f.k.a. DumbNinjaDude

Post Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:57 am

Wheelman185 wrote:Not an upgraded twist! :D

Polish a shit, it's still a shit.
<<

Wheelman185

Post Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:05 pm

Skaunders wrote:

Take the polishing turds reference to any end! Kimura's aren't the amazing flippers some make them out to be either. I bought one just to compare to my upgraded clones, and guess what..... Flips at MOST the same or worse when considering things like roll overs.

Just saying......
-Wheel

<<

Skaunders

f.k.a. DumbNinjaDude

Post Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:20 pm

Wheelman185 wrote:
Skaunders wrote:

Take the polishing turds reference to any end! Kimura's aren't the amazing flippers some make them out to be either. I bought one just to compare to my upgraded clones, and guess what..... Flips at MOST the same or worse when considering things like roll overs.

Just saying......

Then you're an idiot. :pirate_SPANK: A Kimura will last you a lot longer than a twist, it's just made with better overall quality. I'm not saying it's a great flipper, but it's better than the twist. It's not comparable to the 51 by any means but then again that's like comparing a high school baseball player to a pro. Kimura definitely wins over twist.
<<

Wheelman185

Post Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:14 pm

Skaunders wrote:
Wheelman185 wrote:
Skaunders wrote:

Just saying......

Then you're an idiot. :pirate_SPANK: A Kimura will last you a lot longer than a twist, it's just made with better overall quality. I'm not saying it's a great flipper, but it's better than the twist. It's not comparable to the 51 by any means but then again that's like comparing a high school baseball player to a pro. Kimura definitely wins over twist.

As far as materials yes.

I'll agree with it being better than the twist as far as materials go. I'd say an upgraded BM clone beats a Kimmie on flipability and durability. Call me an idiot all you want. At least I've actually made the side by side comparisons between the three.

On the other foot I can sense the general hatred for Twists and Clones by many, in most cases I see it as a blind hatred.
-Wheel

<<

Skaunders

f.k.a. DumbNinjaDude

Post Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:39 pm

I'm being purely objective, I have nothing against clones. But I've flipped all three as well and the Kimmy wins.
<<

echoshock

Post Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:07 am

Just save your fucking money. As someone who has flipped a twist, kimmy, 4x, Basilisk, AB, 6x, etc... I know that wait will suck. However, save your money, hit the good stuff first. Worst comes to worst, you sell it for marginally less than you bought it for, and you essentially had one of the best knives out there for very cheap.
I would rather drive to your house and beat your ass in front of your kids.- Loosey

"oOooOololoolikikikolollLOOoloOollllololol"- Nards
<<

Jason

Owner

Post Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:16 am

Skaunders wrote:I'm being purely objective, I have nothing against clones. But I've flipped all three as well and the Kimmy wins.

Well...

The Twist does sometimes have problems beyond the soft connector hardware. The pivots holes can sometimes be a little off, so the handles can sometimes lean a bit or compress in spots - even with improved hardware. Most aren't problematic, but I've run into some that were just awful.

The Kimura is very well built.

The 51 is too, but I don't like all the little parts.

Anyhow, I'd still rather flip a Twist than a 51 or Kimura, simply because it's the least weird of the three.

And if I were to carry one (I don't), it would probably be the Kimura, though tbh, I'd probably be looking at a 32 for that.
<<

Wheelman185

Post Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:30 pm

echoshock wrote:Just save your fucking money. As someone who has flipped a twist, kimmy, 4x, Basilisk, AB, 6x, etc... I know that wait will suck. However, save your money, hit the good stuff first. Worst comes to worst, you sell it for marginally less than you bought it for, and you essentially had one of the best knives out there for very cheap.

Fact is, many new flippers aren't sure about the hobby yet and want something other than flea market crap to flip. As logical as it is to say, "Don't be an idiot..... Save for an expensive knife and sell it." It isn't that black and white.

I love my 32, 51, Kimmie, Smallfly and AB! I don't regret any of those purchases! Although I bought most of those knives off of a solid night Bartending! I started with flea market crap, Jags, etc. I maybe spent a total of 80$ at most on crap. That could barely buy a Kimmie!

Why not drop 30-40 on something decent to hold you over? I broke down and bought 15$ CCCs twice just to have something to flip when my Jags and first BBBarfly ate it. While the Clones and Twists have their setbacks, they're worth the money to serve the purpose they're there for.

While all the aforementioned Balis are great investments more often than not, they aren't light years better like some make them out to be! Well except for the AB! :TU:
-Wheel

Next

Return to The Knives We Flip