FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

The Tachyon 2 Review My Perspectuve of it

Moderator: T-man

<<

Piper Maru

Post Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:15 pm

The Tachyon 2 Review My Perspectuve of it

I was recently fortunate enough to score one of the micotech tachyon 2 Balisongs. My first impressions was this was one long knife, and boy it looks badass. I really like the handle design as well as the blade. That Bowie blade is intense. So now to dissect this knife.

The Handles:

The handles as most everyone already knows are titanium mine are stonewashed titanium. They feel really nice and for a sand-which constructed knife the handles feel wife enough for twirling but I will get to that later.

The handles to me are plenty grippy and while the near designs on the handles are awesome I don't feel they add or subtract from the flipping experience.

The Blade:

The blade is amazing, 4.5 inches of Bowie awesomeness. Not only that it has a clip point similar to that of the BM43/63. I also like the notches on the blade but as far as I can tell they serve no purpose other than aesthetic. The blade just matches the handles so well and proportions nicely.

The Latch:

Truthfully not much to say about the latch, it's their, it can't be removed (as far as I can tell), it is a T latch, and it has not gotten in the way of flipping at all (or atleast not yet).

The Performance:

Just Wowz, what a great Balisong. Even the basic opening/closing feels great. When flipping the weight feels like its at the bottom of the handles, so it just really glides. I truthfully have not really felt a knife flipped this solid and tight sense my Korth Model One, (and that had IKBS).

The handle to blade ratio reminded me greatly of the CS AA which by far is one of my favorite flippers. The long handles and long blade make flipping really enjoyable, but this knife is fast, and took some time getting used to. Also the sand-which part of the handles is wide enough that twirling feels great, tight, and locked it (not so much that you couldn't lead it into another trick though).

Rollovers also feel nice with the long handles. With the velocity combined with the balance this Balisong has, it is a lot of fun going from a rollover to a full twirl.

I have not tried any aerials with this Balisong, but I am sure it rocks them out.

Overview and Wrap Up:

The new Tachyon 2 is a more then welcomed addition to the Balisong world. I have never owned the original one so I can't compare them. In terms of materials, and performance for the price, the Tachyon 2 is tough to beat, it is sure to be a classic just like the original. I would certainly recommend this Balisong to any collector, flipping expert, or a newcomer.

This is a no nonsense showstopper of a balisong with all new Balisong configurations offers something fresh for all of us Bali addicts. Balisongs evolve really well, and offer so many different avenues, and this is a fine example.

Last edited by Piper Maru on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

flipmag

Post Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: The Tachyon 2 Review My Perspectuve of it

I'm shocked this knife has not gotten more attention on this forum - I just "pre-ordered" mine on Blade HQ, and I am eagerly waiting for it. I hate spending that kind of money on something that I have not had a chance to at least touch and feel - so I look forward to reading reviews and what people like and dislike.

(Man I hope this is worth the money as the Alpha Beast is a tad out of my price range)

BTW your photos are not showing up....
<<

Piper Maru

Post Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:06 pm

Pictures are now their, but I realize they don't really fit the screen, I will work on that.
<<

c.wigum

Post Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:08 am

flipmag wrote:I'm shocked this knife has not gotten more attention on this forum - I just "pre-ordered" mine on Blade HQ, and I am eagerly waiting for it. I hate spending that kind of money on something that I have not had a chance to at least touch and feel - so I look forward to reading reviews and what people like and dislike.

(Man I hope this is worth the money as the Alpha Beast is a tad out of my price range)

BTW your photos are not showing up....

The tach is a pretty good flipper. I like it better than the 42.

The only thing hat is shitty about it is the latch and the stone washed handles. As you can see from the pics they wear really badly. You wouldn't want to put it in your pocket with keys, change or any other hard surfaced object, or it'll get jacked up real fast.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

Cpfrombv

Post Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:11 am

c.wigum wrote:
The tach is a pretty good flipper. I like it better than the 42.

The only thing that is shitty about it is the latch and the stone washed handles. As you can see from the pics they wear really badly. You wouldn't want to put it in your pocket with keys, change or any other hard surfaced object, or it'll get jacked up real fast.

I have been on the fence about getting mine and hearing the opinions of an advanced flipper on how well it flips, is good to hear. Thanks Wigum :D
Mom told me not to run with scissors, but she never said I couldn't play with knives.
<<

AnotherFlipper

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:43 pm

I love everything about this knife except for the latch and the factory bevel on the blade... after awhile the latch comes in contact with the blade and will not lock up. the bevel looks like it was done free hand by a drunk... but other than that it is my favorite bali so far

Return to The Knives We Flip