FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Big vs. small Balis

Moderator: T-man

<<

D-Helix

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:09 pm

Big vs. small Balis

I've been told many times that it is a matter of personal preference, but I would like your honest opinions and why, which is more ideal for flipping? Long, short? Heavy, light? I myself am too new at flipping to make a good comparison, but what I have observed is that a larger knife might be easier to learn on, but it is more difficult to achieve that blazing fast speed due to its mass.

On the other hand, people's movements who flip short knives always seem to be really choppy and unappealing to watch, even if they are quick. What I am seeking for a personal style is fluidity, not to mention that I also plan to use the knife for practical purposes other than flipping.

Another thing that I am curious about... I would imagine that lighter knives require more precise technique, because it is more difficult to rely on the momentum of the handles to assist on more flowy tricks. Any truth to this?

Oh, and in case any of you are wondering, my Bali is most definitely on the big, heavy side, with a total length of 9" and weight of approximately 5.4 oz according to the specs on the site. I have not weighed and measured personally.
-Resident Stoner

"Just call me Helix, man."
<<

Malcolm Reynolds

be the malcolm

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:08 am

Re: Big vs. small Balis

D-Helix wrote:
Oh, and in case any of you are wondering, my Bali is most definitely on the big, heavy side, with a total length of 9" and weight of approximately 5.4 oz according to the specs on the site. I have not weighed and measured personally.
that sounds perfect :TU: a lot like a kimura
rms+Image= :poop:
:pirate1: + :taco: = :taco_pirate:
<<

Jason

Owner

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:14 pm

Longer handles give your fingers more room to maneuver.
Light knives require finesse, and may look twitchy.
Too heavy and it becomes difficult to manage, and may require more arm.

And there's balance.
Balance, balance, balance.
Balance.
<<

exile82187

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:30 pm

I love fliiping my bear ops b400 because it has really long handles and is great for aerials but I always have a little fun flipping my BM32 but I have a hell of a time doing aerials with it and usually end up cutting myself but basic twirls and stuff with it is hella fun.
<<

Cut One

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:01 am

Are you strictly into flipping or do you like to carry them too? When I do carry a large bali, I usually find that I'm too self-concious to "whip it out" and cut something in front of other people. I love my Benchmade 32 Morpho for EDC. It doesn't offend or scare anyone and it carries well with it's light weight and pocket clip. There are much better knives for flipping, but the 32 is my favorite balisong. I'm currently looking for a 31 because it seems like it might be a good compromise for me. - John
<<

exile82187

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:35 pm

Well carry is another story because its illegal to carry but not to own in my neck of the woods, but I have carried them a few times when I feel the need to impress co-workers I will carry a larger bali in my horizontal carry belt sheath usually my 42 or tach 2.

Return to The Knives We Flip