FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

newb bm51 question

Moderator: T-man

<<

nuts4knives

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:27 pm

newb bm51 question

I'm a "user" knife collecter I guess you could call it. I have sever high end folders but am brand new to bali's. Just got my first one, a bm51. I didn't really know what to expect but I noticed something I'm curious about. I realize that this isn't really super high end when it comes to balisongs but I did spend $234 for it so I was a little surprised to see that the spine will tap or rub the handles if I wiggle them. Is this common with this knife in particular or is it common for bali's in general? I've been flipping it quite a bit already and I don't really notice any marks on the blade from it but I was just curious about it. I'd most likely be sending it back if I got a new strider or crk folder and the blade rubbed the handles.lol Also should there be any resistance at all when adjusting the pivots? I notices if I actually tighten them with any pressure there's resistance. And yes I am using loctite. Thanks in advance for any help.
<<

hannam72

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:46 pm

Re: newb bm51 question

Is there a lot of play on the blade? You could try tightening the pivots or putting thicker washers in it. That might help I had a bm 51 for only a little while but its taken apart and being shipped within the week. As a flipper it was just too light for me, I know everyone says this but I'm gonna say it, the kimura is awesome. It has a good weight(slightly heavy) and it has almost no play at all.
<<

nuts4knives

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:18 am

hannam72 wrote:Is there a lot of play on the blade? You could try tightening the pivots or putting thicker washers in it. That might help I had a bm 51 for only a little while but its taken apart and being shipped within the week. As a flipper it was just too light for me, I know everyone says this but I'm gonna say it, the kimura is awesome. It has a good weight(slightly heavy) and it has almost no play at all.

No, very little play compared to lots of the flipper videos I've seen. I really like the knife I was just curious as to weather that was normal. I am thinking about making some ti scales made for it to add just a little bit of weight and a little personalized bling to it.
<<

nuts4knives

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:30 am

That could be just because I've never flipped anything else so I wasn't used to a heavier blade to begin with. I bet if you were used to a ss tank it would be hard to get used to something as light and sleek as the morphos
<<

nuts4knives

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:37 am

I almost got a kimura but I just liked the jeweled to liners and g10 scales although I think full to scales would be even cooler, the crowned blade, and the spring latch. I will probably pick up a kimie eventually along with several others but I think I will hang onto this at least for a while. I feel like the lighter weight would make it's bite a little less threatening for a beginner like myself. Idk if that's true but it makes sense to me.lol
<<

nuts4knives

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:58 am

I don't seem to be getting much help or interest in this topic but I have another question while it's still near the top. Has anyone else tried to register a Bali with benchmade? I was trying to do it via the online registration with my "dumbphone" and for some reason it keeps saying the model number and the purchase date format is wrong? I tried 51 and bm51 and BM51 bm51 morpho and on and on but it keeps saying it's wrong. And the date format I picked right off the calander on there so Idk how that would be wrong. I tried a later date cuz I thought maybe you had to register it within a time frame even though I paid for it Thurday night and got it Tuesday. So I'm wondering if it's because I'm trying to register a balisong under a civilian acct? It would Piss me off if I wasn't able to take advantage of the warranty if needed on a $235 knife that I purchased brand new if something ever goes wrong with it. I will call on monday because the office is closed on weekends but I just figured maybe someone had experience and could answer it so I don't have to wonder/worry about it all weekend. Thanks
<<

hannam72

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:32 am

Yea, sorry I've been away. I always loved the look of the bm 51 which is why I bought one, but as a flipper its a bit light thats all. You are also def right about heavy balis giving worse cuts. I never got cut deep enough to bleed for the short time I flipped a bm51. The kimura and my other flippers give me all kinds of cuts that bleed a lot. Also let me know how the warranty thing goes I have a bm 67 that I should probably do that with.
<<

nuts4knives

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:01 am

hannam72 wrote:Yea, sorry I've been away. I always loved the look of the bm 51 which is why I bought one, but as a flipper its a bit light thats all. You are also def right about heavy balis giving worse cuts. I never got cut deep enough to bleed for the short time I flipped a bm51. The kimura and my other flippers give me all kinds of cuts that bleed a lot. Also let me know how the warranty thing goes I have a bm 67 that I should probably do that with.

I forgot to get back to you. I called benchmade and they said the warrenty follows the knife not the owner so there's no need to register it. That seems strange because i thought I remember it saying on the warranty card that you need to register it to validate the warranty. So anyways I guess don't worry about it. Now that I am getting to the more advanced moves I think I can see how a little extra weight would help. I am trying to find a set of titanium scales for it. I contacted one of the guys who have made them in the past but he hasn't replied yet. I think with a set of those this knife would be awesome. I'm sure I can learn all the tricks with it the way it is but I just feel it might help to slow things down and give it a little extra momentum. Then again I have never flipped with anything else so this is all speculation.
<<

hannam72

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:47 am

I would say you are right about it being slower and momentum feels different. I'm far from a pro myself I'm just starting to link moves together, and there are a few guys that do it I'm sure at least one would be willing to. EDC was selling bm 51 with titanium scales but you probably wouldn't wanna buy a whole new knife. Its also good to hear the warranty follows the knife as they get traded and sold all the time.
<<

nuts4knives

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:44 pm

hannam72 wrote:I would say you are right about it being slower and momentum feels different. I'm far from a pro myself I'm just starting to link moves together, and there are a few guys that do it I'm sure at least one would be willing to. EDC was selling bm 51 with titanium scales but you probably wouldn't wanna buy a whole new knife. Its also good to hear the warranty follows the knife as they get traded and sold all the time.

I think the light weight actually makes it flip faster cuz you have to move faster to swing it around for moves. But we will see. I seen those on edc and when I seen the first add for the preorder they were talking about selling just the scales. I don't really know who to talk to about that though. I asked someone on a forum review of the knife but didn't get a response.
<<

hannam72

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:29 pm

Check the other forums I don't know many names but I know Matt Cook does really nice work.
<<

nuts4knives

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:44 am

Just noticed my blade has a small chip and there's a little ano wore off right on the edge of the grove in the handle. It's very small but still bothers me since this knife is only like a month old and I have kept it pictured as tight as I can without excessive binding. I also think my latch may have a slight bend. It's so insignificant that I can hardley tell for sure if it is bent but I think it is. Since I'm not carrying or using this as a carry or actual user I'm not to worried right now but if it gets worse bad I may think about sending it in. I am curious as to weather I will be able to send it in for warrenty work because I noticed for auto's benchmade requires profe of being Leo, military, or rescue and in my state they consider balisongs to be auto's for some stupid reason. I'll be Pissed if they won't honor my warranty because I'm not a "fireman" or whatever. Has anyone else sent a Bali in for repair? Did you have to send a copy of you Leo card?
<<

techubr

Post Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:19 pm

Just got my BM51 today. I flipped maybe a total of 1-2 hrs. When i got it was pretty tight not much blade play. Now it got looser tons of bladeplay i unscrewed the screws put locktite blue on the threads. Hardest part is waiting. I like it so the bottom part of the handle aligns with the empty space in the middle. Also, the wobbling of the handles is normal its called blade play.

:D
-Matt
Taping The Blade Since Day 1.

Return to The Knives We Flip