FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Help landing aerials...

Moderator: slashncut

<<

Vaskar

Post Sun May 23, 2010 4:42 pm

Help landing aerials...

Any tips on landing aerials?

I have been trying to do aerials for a few days now and sometimes i get them, others i stab my hand, or it lands closed when i want it open...

Any help or is it one of those think you gotta feel?
<<

FkeSpydrFly

Post Sun May 23, 2010 5:07 pm

Re: Help landing aerials...

fke
<<

knifezoid

Post Tue May 25, 2010 2:23 pm

This is mostly just feel. It took me a very long time to warm up to aerials.
It's all a matter of timing. Eventually you will just know how long the knife
needs to be in the air before catching it again. You can only get better by
doing it over and over and over again. Cutlerylovers vid is very good to get
you aquainted with the concept of the knife leaving your hand. Eventually
though you will just have to go for it.

Guns for show, knives for a pro. ( [X] )
<<

cja245

Post Tue May 25, 2010 3:37 pm

knifezoid wrote:This is mostly just feel. It took me a very long time to warm up to aerials.

couldn't have said it better myself. But to summarize..... Just throw the damn thing. A bunch of times. And eventually you'll stop stabbing yourself. :lol:
"I wanna stab someone in the mouth and tell em to "Taste the Rainbow" -MoreBeef

6th Place - FAToC '10
http://www.youtube.com/user/cja245
<<

MoreBeef

Beefin it.

Post Tue May 25, 2010 3:46 pm

cja245 wrote:
knifezoid wrote:This is mostly just feel. It took me a very long time to warm up to aerials.

couldn't have said it better myself. But to summarize..... Just throw the damn thing. A bunch of times. And eventually you'll stop stabbing yourself. :lol:

You mean I will stop eventually? Cuz despite the practicing..I still nail myself. Alot. But yeah what these guys have both said. How do you get to Carnegie hall? Practice practice practice.
Could be worse...I could be on the short bus with the other donut punchers.
Well dingalingong my dangalonglinglong.

11th place FAToC 2010!
I got your ass next year cocksmokers!!!
<<

GreG

Post Tue May 25, 2010 4:54 pm

Agree with others :TU:
If I can advise, in the learning of aerials, it is necessary to begin has to limit the damages as say the video ,it needs to weaken the grip with the hand. The best way is that the hand has to follow by very close the bali (for the beginners)... The hand go up and go down at the same time as the bali. It avoids fall of knife from too high and allows to learn the timing. Then it is necessary to practise for know the good timing for a rotation of X degrees.
I hope you can understand what i think and say with my english.
<<

Vaskar

Post Tue May 25, 2010 7:25 pm

cja245 wrote:

Yeah i jumped into it a few days ago. I'm happy i got a Typhoon because the blade had a good point but isnt sharp. If it was my hands would be so fked up. I got like 5 or 6 little dots where the tip broke the skin, but if the blade was sharp i think all of the fingers on my right hand would be cut up along with my palm... :monkeypiss:
<<

CDR_Glock

Post Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:36 pm

I like cutlerylovers tutorial. The tip about dropping the hand as the knife falls helped me minimize the depth of a cut if timing was off. Another tip, that I noted from Vincent's tutorial is that the knife has to be aligned correctly as it's thrown.

I was practicing some things today with different knives. It's hard to get used to how a heavy knife or light knife spins in mid air, when switching from one to another. I started doing a light toss where the revolutions per second were something that my eyes could follow and my timing for the catch is manageable.

Slowing the tempo and using less force for a throw has been helpful to get the concept before trying things like hyper-aerials, for me.

I alternated amongst a 51, Fiend, 30, 42, 43, DDR, Balibalistic, 41SS. 41MC, Kimura and Pinoy Knife Bowie.
<<

Palethius

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:03 pm

Yup... practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice...
... and soft hands.

The practice teaches you to land it... the soft hands help you bleed less when you don't land it. You'll figure it out with time.
#16 huh? /rollin' somethin' for the future....
<<

pygmy_marmoset

Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:20 pm

The basic aerials are my favorite tricks to do, I spend a lot of time on them and I have used them in all of my combos. I am not an expert by any means but I will tell you what has worked for me.

When you are throwing a basic aerial, the shortest catch is to ice pick grip, a split second longer and you get normal grip, a split second longer and you get closed. Then there is a gap of around a second and you've got the ice pick grip catch of the next number of rotations, and this repeats. So, when you're learning the basic aerials, don't just practice one type but instead learn this series of three catches (ice pick, normal, closed) up to three rotations.

Also focus and relaxation are important. Aerials require concentration to gauge the timing, and if you're tense and scared it will cause you to mess up more.

I have more tips on the basic aerials, maybe I will make a tutorial someday. Vincent has a pretty good tutorial already which is what got me started, and Jeff Imada and Micheal Janich both have aerial segments in their DVDs. Their DVDs for the most part consist of simple moves, but the basic aerial instruction is actually very good. Janich explains things more than Imada, but Imada does some non-conventional aerials such as the backhand aerial and snap aerial opening and closings.
<<

Pathian

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:20 am

If you're getting stuck by the tip a lot on the basic aerial, there's one things I can suggest from my limited personal experience

First is where you try to grab the knife, the tendency for a lot of beginners is to try to catch the handles at their very ends with their fingertips to minimize the amount of hand that they stick into the spinning mass of airborne metal. This has always seemed (to me) to be more likely to get you poked because the arc that the tips of the handles spin through is the same arc that the tip spins through. Try to make the catch higher up on the handles and you'll be past the point where the tip can easily get you if your timing is right. This way, if you get hit by the blade at all, you're much more likely to get hit by the middle of the spine than the tip.
<<

DanielGClapp

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:04 pm

MoreBeef wrote:But yeah what these guys have both said. How do you get to Carnegie hall? Practice practice practice.

I actually used tape to learn aerials. Most people are against it because they say it can cause you to learn a trick wrong. With aerials, it's pretty much you catch it right or you don't and the don't is what tape is for. BTW my dad performed in the Isaac Stern Auditorium at Carnegie Hall.

Return to The Art of Flipping