Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:20 am

Re: Tips on Video Making

something worth pointing out...

showmanship.

you dudes taking the time to make videos like this are :

early adopters

motivated

changing the sport

I think you will see over time there will be a very distinct line for vids...
I hope I have some time to give you a vid of the caliber many of you are now exhibiting.

very nice work indeed gentleman.
"Loosey will throw down meat grinders in his wheelchair".
~Faultyply

Slaver: what is -=BRS=- ?
DeadPuppy: the future for balisongs

i blew the lid off of balisong-techniques.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<<

World Crafter

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:16 pm

Great tips, I'm surprised I never saw this thread before.
I rarely bother with flipping videos but I sort of want to try a new one with these lighting tips in mind now.
<<

echoshock

Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:25 pm

This is by far the best video I have produced, used almost all the tips in this thread that I could, so I thought I would post it in here.

I would rather drive to your house and beat your ass in front of your kids.- Loosey

"oOooOololoolikikikolollLOOoloOollllololol"- Nards
<<

World Crafter

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:34 pm

echoshock wrote:This is by far the best video I have produced, used almost all the tips in this thread that I could, so I thought I would post it in here.

Great video :TU:
<<

FkeSpydrFly

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:31 pm

So heres what I'm using I plan on getting some utility lights :TU:

fke
<<

Vincent_Dark

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:56 pm

might be a little harder to get a fully black background with that set up...but it shouldn't be too much trouble.
as ozzie mentioned, the more space you have between you and the background, the easier to have the background show up darker.
also, since it is in a corner, you will have light passing thru the sheet since it doesn't have a solid object like a wall behind it completely.

i would get a couple utility lights and position them at the sides...remeber that you want to be lighting the subject..not the background...so don't point the lights directly at the sheet..point them at you, and yes it will get hot..and you will be blinded for most of your shots.

the ceiling light looks pretty bright as well..i would mess around with 2 lights either from the sides pointing at you..or one on the side and the other on the ground point up into your chest and face area...and either turn down the room lighting or turn it off completely and see if your camera can handle the lighting like that without getting grainy...would provide for some nice dramatic subject lighting and a nice solid background
"Traveling at the speed of dark"
agent number 4..I /rollz for the lulz...a new standard has been set.
This message was brought to you by your friends, at the other side.
<<

Ozzie Sandoval

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:54 am

Thank you Vince for bringing up my name, I feel special. ha.
I honestly suck at flipping. The only thing I can really contribute to the balisong community is lighting and photography techniques.
<<

Nardath

Post Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:24 pm

i hung my camera from my ceiling fan and i got this, pretty good id say, gotta work on my lighting tho.
my ceiling fan does have a light.. what do u guys think?

ImageImage
Third at FATOC 11'
Looseyfur wrote:the lord satan invents all tricks then he gives them to top flippers in the form of superpowers to be manifiest into reality from the nightmare realm.
<<

Vincent_Dark

Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:34 pm

nice precision flipping Nardath...and a good angle as well. It would work well for certain moves and being thrown into the mix of other angles as well..not something you would want to shoot an entire video from.

I think it would particularly useful for moves which spin horizontally...like a chaplin, although you would want to be much closer. or any aerial that travels vertically but has a horizontal spin to it....it would also lend itself well to hacky type moves as well.
"Traveling at the speed of dark"
agent number 4..I /rollz for the lulz...a new standard has been set.
This message was brought to you by your friends, at the other side.
<<

Nardath

Post Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:52 am

What do you think of them apples?

Didnt move my tripod, made my tricks one after the other and them precision trimmed, turned out great!
ImageImage
Third at FATOC 11'
Looseyfur wrote:the lord satan invents all tricks then he gives them to top flippers in the form of superpowers to be manifiest into reality from the nightmare realm.
<<

SheepSter

Post Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:09 am

Epic
50% Sheep
50% Madness
<<

Bladejunkie

Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:47 am

my first serious video. Next time I'm gonna try a backlight, more space between me and the backdrop, and putting it up against the wall

3rd place OKCA 2012
<<

knifezoid

Post Tue May 03, 2011 1:08 pm

The progress many people have made since Vincents posts and tutorials on proper video presentation has been staggering.
I'm really happy to see that this trend has caught on. I think the next step will be that sloppy production will start affecting
the way people perceive entries. While I know it is a flipping forum and that is the focus, I think this will still play a major
role.

Guns for show, knives for a pro. ( [X] )
<<

placebo398

Post Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:41 am

This is a video related question so I figured I would post it here rather than create a new thread so here it is: I need a video camera to start recording videos but I'll only be able to get a relatively cheap one. I was looking at either the Flip UltraHD or the Flip MinoHD and was wondering if any of y'all had used these before to record your flipping or had any other suggestions for other sub-100 dollar video cameras?
<<

Zach

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:51 pm

i notice all of u guys with a bm42 use a backdrop thats black and where a black shirt. it makes the flipping look great. but i have a bm51 that is black coated so everything is black, should i use a white backdrop and white shirt theN? the 51 looks bad in any vids i make.
PreviousNext

Return to The Art of Flipping