FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Is There Any Tricks you are not a big fan of?

Moderator: slashncut

<<

Vincent_Dark

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:51 am

Re: Is There Any Tricks you are not a big fan of?

I've never been a fan of under the leg aerials as well and i've never tried one before. I've seen a couple that have been done which didn't really bother me...but other times, i see them and i'm just not into it...i think mostly because it is just not a graceful move and that it implies difficulty when in fact it is not. It is usually the kind of move that beginners or flippers who do not have a large arsenal of aerial moves gravitate towards to when they are first learning aerials.
The same thing happens in juggling...beginners always go for the under the leg.

other moves that i am just not into.

I really don't like bicep catches.....i just think they look awkward. I do think that they are highly difficult, as i have tried a couple and can't even come close..but i just don't like how they look. Which was a concern of mine when i started working on arm slide moves, i don't want to have to stop the slide by catching it in my arm like that...so i have to use angle and pitch and balance in order to slow it down and stop it without having to resort to trapping it inside my arm.

I'm also not really a fan of hacky type moves either. Which may sound strange considering that they were prominently featured in the prophecy video.
And back when i was into card flourishing, i was kinda known for doing hack moves with a deck of cards.

again, i find the move to look awkward....maybe its just me, since i've never played hacky sack or anything, so i don't have a developed style when it comes to kicking things in that position.
"Traveling at the speed of dark"
agent number 4..I /rollz for the lulz...a new standard has been set.
This message was brought to you by your friends, at the other side.
<<

Looseyfur

Full of Smiles and Sunshine.

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:26 pm

anything Rugur does.
"Loosey will throw down meat grinders in his wheelchair".
~Faultyply

Slaver: what is -=BRS=- ?
DeadPuppy: the future for balisongs

i blew the lid off of balisong-techniques.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<<

cja245

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:09 pm

Behind the eight ball. No matter how smooth i do it, it still looks awkward. It lacks the flow that a lot of other multi roll combinations have, such as helix, hellbent, etc. Could just be me though.
"I wanna stab someone in the mouth and tell em to "Taste the Rainbow" -MoreBeef

6th Place - FAToC '10
http://www.youtube.com/user/cja245
<<

Arcbaliangel

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:52 am

dont like the double balisong behind the back catch...looks awkward adn its like impossible to pull it off smooth.
Flipping isn't a Crime, But not Flipping is ;]
<<

Looseyfur

Full of Smiles and Sunshine.

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:25 am

Arcbaliangel wrote:dont like the double balisong behind the back catch...looks awkward adn its like impossible to pull it off smooth.

:oops:
"Loosey will throw down meat grinders in his wheelchair".
~Faultyply

Slaver: what is -=BRS=- ?
DeadPuppy: the future for balisongs

i blew the lid off of balisong-techniques.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<<

Arcbaliangel

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:04 am

Looseyfur wrote:
Arcbaliangel wrote:dont like the double balisong behind the back catch...looks awkward adn its like impossible to pull it off smooth.

:oops:

lol its all good man. im alos not good at it so that adds to it.
Flipping isn't a Crime, But not Flipping is ;]
<<

Vesilth

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:30 am

I don't like Y2K rollover, because it is just quite weird move for me. I can't make it smooth unlikely thumbroll which is almost same move.
<<

Bladejunkie

Post Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:31 am

the charlie chaplin for me... It just seems boring and sort of bland
3rd place OKCA 2012
<<

feenxfire

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:28 am

Jesus christ monkey balls! I can't BELIEVE the last two posts.

Y2Ks and chaplins a...a..are....are what?!?!

Tsk tsk tsk....still learning....ergh!

Anyways....I'm not a fan of all this *random body part* bumping shit. I've been seeing it more and more as I go through these newish videos I've been missing out on.

I get it.

You can bump your bali and catch it on camera. :clap:
<<

HonorHer

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:18 pm

feenxfire wrote:Jesus christ monkey balls! I can't BELIEVE the last two posts.

Y2Ks and chaplins a...a..are....are what?!?!

Tsk tsk tsk....still learning....ergh!

Anyways....I'm not a fan of all this *random body part* bumping shit. I've been seeing it more and more as I go through these newish videos I've been missing out on.

I get it.

I gotta agree with you on that feenix while everyone doing these things are enjoying them and smoothly incorperating them into there routines, they arent really doing anything that impressive ill admit ive done a few bumps myself just toying around but i see it as a pointless thing to do and more as a novelty to the manipulation of the balisong itself.

i have always found it more impressive when someone can sucessfully manipulate the knife thru fingers or rolls around and when it comes to aerials its about throw and catch not drop bump and catch i see it as a ... well.... a trick not so much a talent to be able to do them.

i have to say i agree i do not like the bumps and other things that involve kicking or smacking. i have used to hack aerial and while its easy and more acceptable as an aerial again i see that as well, as a parlor trick nothing that belongs in a solid routine.
"How many human eyes . . . had snatched glimpses of their secret anatomies, down the passages of years?"

Clive Barker
"Books of Blood" FIRE643
<<

sheneniganer

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:23 pm

feenxfire wrote:Anyways....I'm not a fan of all this *random body part* bumping shit. I've been seeing it more and more as I go through these newish videos I've been missing out on.

I get it.

I agree, especially if they aren't caught in an open position and you awkwardly fumble the catch, wtf is the point?
However, while most "bumps" look ridiculous, just plain luck, or horribly executed, their are a few where if done correctly come out looking good. I think the elbow joint area bump for example can look good, in addition hack aerials, which would be included in "*random body part* bumping", look good if you catch them in an open position IMO.
6 Out of 18. What are you?
/ Rolling with the cutting edge of a new order.
<<

Silent Jay

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:28 pm

I think most (with the exception of the bicep bump) are totally retarted. I honestly don't see the point. it's almost like they're just trying to come up with something new and hope to see if anyone else will find a way to make it something decent. Total jackasses I say....

If it can't flow into a routine, then what's really the point?

Although, can't blame a nigga for havin' a little fun with it :mrgreen:
Image jay
Looseyfur wrote:...spouting his wacky charlie sheen warlocks speech

15 of ?
It's just how we /roll

<<

GetTheFood11

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:26 am

Silent Jay wrote:I think most (with the exception of the bicep bump) are totally retarted. I honestly don't see the point. it's almost like they're just trying to come up with something new and hope to see if anyone else will find a way to make it something decent. Total jackasses I say....

If it can't flow into a routine, then what's really the point?

Although, can't blame a nigga for havin' a little fun with it :mrgreen:

:lol: I was gonna say, they might be talking about your routine.
<<

Vincent_Dark

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:15 pm

GetTheFood11 wrote: :lol: I was gonna say, they might be talking about your routine.

or just talking about my routines in general.

i personally would rather watch some visually distinctive and entertaining routines which have an element of unpredictability, creativity and surprise in them than watch a never ending helix based combo using different fingers on each rotation......but hey, thats just me.

in the end, it comes down to execution and style. lunging halfway across the room to catch a bump or hacky or contorting your body in unnatural positions to catch aerials look just as bad as an infinite roll combo with giant gaps in them and directionless routine structure.

are bumps talentless and just a novelty?...no... a novelty parlour trick would be throwing a knife at an apple on your head.
while most people are using bumps as stand alone moves or capping off a 2 move routine rather than learning how to integrate it into the flow..break the visual routine pattern and keep going.

but yeah, i'd take something visually different and unconventional over the same shit that everyone else is doing any day.
"Traveling at the speed of dark"
agent number 4..I /rollz for the lulz...a new standard has been set.
This message was brought to you by your friends, at the other side.
<<

Silent Jay

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Vincent_Dark wrote:a novelty parlour trick would be throwing a knife at an apple on your head.

:lol:

Roll the clip!

Image jay
Looseyfur wrote:...spouting his wacky charlie sheen warlocks speech

15 of ?
It's just how we /roll

PreviousNext

Return to The Art of Flipping