FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Do you flip publicly?

Moderator: slashncut

<<

sheneniganer

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:52 am

Re: Do you flip publicly?

BaliBombshell wrote:A few things to say:

1. I like how brad5452 calls California "Commiefornia". It's very suiting, in my opinion. Props for that. :clap:

2. In the state of CT, if I'm not mistaken, if the blade is over 4" or if it's a gravity knife, switchblade, etc. then you cannot carry it on you in public. The state law doesn't say anything about not being able to own these types of knives, though.

3. I cannot flip publicly because I own a Benchmade 51. It has a 4.25" blade. That would get me locked up for a while on charges of owning an illegal weapon since it is both (a) a balisong and (b) over 4".

4. If I could flip publicly, I most definitely would.

You are correct sir.

I flip in public nevertheless, although I wouldn't recommend it.
6 Out of 18. What are you?
/ Rolling with the cutting edge of a new order.
<<

Luke oX

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:04 pm

Haha nice! :TU:

slashncut wrote:It's better to have flipped and lost than to have never flipped at all.
<<

feenxfire

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:07 pm

I don't flip in public cuz I don't like it when people stare at me. :lol:
<<

Nicholas3

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:47 pm

I would if I could. NY is not balisong friendly. I've been studying the law for a while about it, in 3 separate court cases, where they agreed that the balisong is not a gravity knife, the person who had the balisong did not get charged with having a weapon. In NYC area, I found that one is allowed to have a pocket knife that is not more then 4 inches long and you're over 18 years, but I have heard many stories of people getting into problems with the police for having a pocket knife regardless of the law. I personally EDC my Benchmade 32SBK, but I never pull it out around people who I do not know or in very public places. I keep my flipping at my friends' houses and church (when the strict religious ones are not around :mrgreen: )
<<

Nardath

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:55 pm

Nicholas3 wrote:I would if I could. NY is not balisong friendly. I've been studying the law for a while about it, in 3 separate court cases, where they agreed that the balisong is not a gravity knife, the person who had the balisong did not get charged with having a weapon. In NYC area, I found that one is allowed to have a pocket knife that is not more then 4 inches long and you're over 18 years, but I have heard many stories of people getting into problems with the police for having a pocket knife regardless of the law. I personally EDC my Benchmade 32SBK, but I never pull it out around people who I do not know or in very public places. I keep my flipping at my friends' houses and church (when the strict religious ones are not around :mrgreen: )

What Were the arguments in court saying it's not a gravity knife?
ImageImage
Third at FATOC 11'
Looseyfur wrote:the lord satan invents all tricks then he gives them to top flippers in the form of superpowers to be manifiest into reality from the nightmare realm.
<<

Twinbalis

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:13 pm

The locals might not like it too much. :roll:
<<

Luke oX

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:14 pm

I do it sometimes when I'm walking around my neighborhood when no one is looking but I'm usually afraid to drop it on concrete.

slashncut wrote:It's better to have flipped and lost than to have never flipped at all.
<<

Nicholas3

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:25 pm

Nardath wrote:
Nicholas3 wrote:I would if I could. NY is not balisong friendly. I've been studying the law for a while about it, in 3 separate court cases, where they agreed that the balisong is not a gravity knife, the person who had the balisong did not get charged with having a weapon. In NYC area, I found that one is allowed to have a pocket knife that is not more then 4 inches long and you're over 18 years, but I have heard many stories of people getting into problems with the police for having a pocket knife regardless of the law. I personally EDC my Benchmade 32SBK, but I never pull it out around people who I do not know or in very public places. I keep my flipping at my friends' houses and church (when the strict religious ones are not around :mrgreen: )

What Were the arguments in court saying it's not a gravity knife?

It was based on a technicality. The knife did not have a locking mechanism when the blade was opened. When a gravity knife is opened, there is a switch that locks the blade in place, but a balisong does not have this. As a balisonger, I love the ruling, as a future lawyer, I found it to be a ridiculous ruling.
<<

Silent Jay

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:33 pm

Nicholas3 wrote:
Nardath wrote:

It was based on a technicality. The knife did not have a locking mechanism when the blade was opened. When a gravity knife is opened, there is a switch that locks the blade in place, but a balisong does not have this. As a balisonger, I love the ruling, as a future lawyer, I found it to be a ridiculous ruling.

Well, not to derail the actual topic, but it's because of NY's definition of a gravity knife requires it to lock when it opens, since a balisong requires you to latch it locked as a separate action, it doesn't count.

Sadly however, this does mean most folding pocket knives can be considered (and have been) as gravity knives.
Image jay
Looseyfur wrote:...spouting his wacky charlie sheen warlocks speech

15 of ?
It's just how we /roll

<<

Twinbalis

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:36 pm

Where I am from I seen a person get nabbed with a lock back folder that was too loose and could be snapped with one hand.
I always figured it is better to keep all my knives out of the hands of others. This way you are not explaining anything to anybody to try and get them back.

Even if the law is on your side, you are taking a chance that the officer know the difference and your knife will not be destroyed while you are waiting to prove your case in court.
<<

tboulay

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:48 am

CalviNNatioN wrote:I would never think of it living in canada, However I think if I were in a state that legalized the carry of balisongs i still wouldnt. I doubt its a good Idea.

I don't have one right now, however if I did have a trainer or a barfly I'd have no issue flipping them in public here (Ottawa). But ya, you'd never catch me flipping my 47 in public. :)
<<

Solomon

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:23 am

If they were legal here I'd definitely have one as an EDC. Dunno about taking it out just to flip though, I mean it'd be cool to chill out somewhere and practice flipping if I got bored waiting on people or whatever but I'd probably refrain from doing it if there were people around cos realistically you'd get someone calling the cops on you for "brandishing" it in public. :oops:

The way I see it, guns are legal to carry in some places but you wouldn't take one out or start twirling it around your finger out of boredom. I know this is worlds apart and I feel stupid using that as a metaphor, but that's how people are... wouldn't be long until someone called the police about this guy who was flashing around one of those scary knives you see bad guys with in the movies. People don't see it for what it really is. If it was a trainer with one of the obviously-not-a-blade blades it'd be a different story though, you'd get away with flipping that I reckon. :mrgreen:
<<

tboulay

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:50 pm

Solomon wrote:... of those scary knives you see bad guys with in the movies. :mrgreen:

Bad guys and little girls with purple hair apparently. :)
<<

TDknife

Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:58 am

i don't flip in public ,
i flip only at scool and wow the whole scool was like wtf :o
i think in my country i will have problems with cops if i should flip in publik
<<

DumbNinjaDude

Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:53 pm

I live in Ohio where any balisong is illegal to carry according to my local police cheif and Ohio Revised Code 2923.12 A1 with a "deadly weapon" defined in Ohio Revised Code 2923.11 A. So I rarely flip in public. I do sometimes though when I'm at the park and only a handful of people are around. I don't mind the stares, I feel powerful when I'm being watched and I have no problems showing it off. Today I did for the first time in a while at a local skate park and had a nice little crowed of about 20 people watching me flip my new 51 and I flipped my Kimura VI a little too. It's funny to watch people's reactions to it, but now they know how I feel when I watch them skate. :lol:
PreviousNext

Return to The Art of Flipping