FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Flipping Goals 2011

Moderator: slashncut

<<

Twinbalis

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:19 am

Re: Flipping Goals 2011

pygmy_marmoset wrote:Come on TwinBalis, just post a video. You will be glad you did.

Don't be a gilstrap.

gilstrap: n. Someone who hangs around balisong forums but who never posts a video.

Well, consididering the member count....you guys are missing alot of videos.
:blush:
<<

Palethius

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:11 am

Twinbalis wrote:
pygmy_marmoset wrote:Come on TwinBalis, just post a video. You will be glad you did.

Don't be a gilstrap.

gilstrap: n. Someone who hangs around balisong forums but who never posts a video.

Well, consididering the member count....you guys are missing alot of videos.

Well, the call goes out to all the video slackers. If you don't have a video up yet, you need to do it. Making a video will significantly improve your flipping. It did mine. Many mistakes and fumbles are dismissed when practicing. Those mistakes kill videos, and to get good videos you need good takes. It tells you what you need to practice on and where you excel/lacking. Not to mention the advice and direction you can get from other flippers (who have videos up) who watch your vids and want you to succeed in your flipping goals. The intent here is not to see who is the best flipper, but rather to get everyone better so we can progress the art to something bigger than it is today. If everyone holed up and flipped in their dark basement where they can hide their unique skill... well, there'd be no progression or exposure... and that is what we are trying to do here. Progress and expose the world to this great art.

I don't care if you are the self proclaimed god of flipping... if no one sees you flipping, you can't flip... until you show us you can. You can say you can jump over tall buildings with a single bound, but until someone sees you do it... well you can figure it out. I'm not better than you... you are not better than me... just different, but all striving for the same goal. Get the world flipping.
#16 huh? /rollin' somethin' for the future....
<<

Twinbalis

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:43 am

Palethius wrote:Well, the call goes out to all the video slackers. If you don't have a video up yet, you need to do it. Making a video will significantly improve your flipping. It did mine. Many mistakes and fumbles are dismissed when practicing. Those mistakes kill videos, and to get good videos you need good takes. It tells you what you need to practice on and where you excel/lacking. Not to mention the advice and direction you can get from other flippers (who have videos up) who watch your vids and want you to succeed in your flipping goals. The intent here is not to see who is the best flipper, but rather to get everyone better so we can progress the art to something bigger than it is today. If everyone holed up and flipped in their dark basement where they can hide their unique skill... well, there'd be no progression or exposure... and that is what we are trying to do here. Progress and expose the world to this great art.
I agree, videos and the internet has helped advance balisongs for everybody. The net has helped move it out of peoples backrooms, bedrooms or basements and shown others what is possible at this time in the art.

Palethius wrote:I don't care if you are the self proclaimed god of flipping... if no one sees you flipping, you can't flip... until you show us you can. You can say you can jump over tall buildings with a single bound, but until someone sees you do it... well you can figure it out. I'm not better than you... you are not better than me... just different, but all striving for the same goal. Get the world flipping.

Sure, I agree with this also. Provided a person is bragging about their skills then the onus is on them to prove what they say.
<<

Looseyfur

Full of Smiles and Sunshine.

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:07 am

with one caveat....

that they aren't advising ppl on how to flip if they haven't SHOWN any aptitude for it... some of these supposed long time flippers on other sites always weigh in on topics involving balisong manipulation, and to me its a fucking annoyance to hear someone talk about what they have done, or how long they have been flipping, how good they may be, or to just plain advise others how to flip without showing any aptitude for manipulation. Its just plain nonsense...

L.
"Loosey will throw down meat grinders in his wheelchair".
~Faultyply

Slaver: what is -=BRS=- ?
DeadPuppy: the future for balisongs

i blew the lid off of balisong-techniques.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<<

Twinbalis

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:42 am

Looseyfur wrote:with one caveat....

that they aren't advising ppl on how to flip if they haven't SHOWN any aptitude for it... some of these supposed long time flippers on other sites always weigh in on topics involving balisong manipulation, and to me its a fucking annoyance to hear someone talk about what they have done, or how long they have been flipping, how good they may be, or to just plain advise others how to flip without showing any aptitude for manipulation. Its just plain nonsense...

L.

I can agree with that if the person is trying to tell others that what they are doing is wrong or bragging about their skills. That being said, I find if a person posts technical information that is wrong, people will usually call them on it no matter what their background. Good information is good info and bad is bad no matter who you are. Just my opinion though.
<<

Bladejunkie

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:03 am

idk man if Loosey told us the best way to do chaplins was with the bite handle I would probably be thinking wtf? Then check it, double check it, and check it again before posting that he's wrong lol
3rd place OKCA 2012
<<

pygmy_marmoset

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:00 pm

Twinbalis wrote:Well, consididering the member count....you guys are missing alot of videos.

You should say "we" instead of "you guys" because you're a member of this site and of the balisong community too. Seriously - start a challenge, it will help you improve and you would probably have a lot of fun doing it. It's not so much about winning as it is about trying and making yourself improve. And no one is going to make fun of you if you suck, even if you design and execute a basic combo you will get more respect than if you never post a vid at all.

This site relies on a confluence of technologies: widespread high speed internet, digital cameras, and video hosting sites like youtube, which until very recently didn't exist. The challenge system here can therefore be seen as a state-of-the-art technology which helps people realize their full potential, anyone who is seriously interested in improving their flipping should make use of this technology that we are very fortunate to have. It can be intimidating to put yourself out there for the first time but you just have to do it. This is for your own good Twinbalis - stop the arguing, start the flipping. The next post I want to see from you here is in the challenge section.
<<

Bladejunkie

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:05 am

pygmy_marmoset wrote:
Twinbalis wrote:Well, consididering the member count....you guys are missing alot of videos.

You should say "we" instead of "you guys" because you're a member of this site and of the balisong community too. Seriously - start a challenge, it will help you improve and you would probably have a lot of fun doing it. It's not so much about winning as it is about trying and making yourself improve. And no one is going to make fun of you if you suck, even if you design and execute a basic combo you will get more respect than if you never post a vid at all.

This site relies on a confluence of technologies: widespread high speed internet, digital cameras, and video hosting sites like youtube, which until very recently didn't exist. The challenge system here can therefore be seen as a state-of-the-art technology which helps people realize their full potential, anyone who is seriously interested in improving their flipping should make use of this technology that we are very fortunate to have. It can be intimidating to put yourself out there for the first time but you just have to do it. This is for your own good Twinbalis - stop the arguing, start the flipping. The next post I want to see from you here is in the challenge section.

damn... if you're not careful his next challenge will be against you lol
but honestly dude, your first video can't be much worse than this...
3rd place OKCA 2012
<<

Looseyfur

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:14 am

now post him your most recent vid Bladejunker....

see a difference?
~Faultyply

<<

Sylum

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:19 am

No! I already called first challenge with him! Twin, that thread is still in the challenge board if you ever want to revive it. Until then, i can wait until you're ready.
Quintocer0s wrote:I've been told that I hit on my male cousin....

Looseyfur-I am impervious to conventional weapons

13 of ? What are you?

/roll if you have the balls
<<

Slaver

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:44 pm

My goal is to learn what I want when I want and most of all to have fun flipping. The most probable tricks that I intend to learn are charlie chaplins, the helix and index finger rolls. I`m sure those feel-tricks will open doors to new rutines and ways of flipping for me.
<<

Macrocheesium

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:36 pm

The helix definitely will. It's my favorite trick, and with all of the variations it looks really good even if you do it over and over again.
<<

GetTheFood11

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:51 pm

Macrocheesium wrote:The helix definitely will. It's my favorite trick, and with all of the variations it looks really good even if you do it over and over again.

You definitely can't do the helix over and over again and have it look really good. It will get boring and show lack of variation. If by "all the variations" you mean other rollover combos, chaplins, and helix aerials, then it can look really good, but those aren't really variations of the helix.
<<

Macrocheesium

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:42 pm

GetTheFood11 wrote:You definitely can't do the helix over and over again and have it look really good. It will get boring and show lack of variation. If by "all the variations" you mean other rollover combos, chaplins, and helix aerials, then it can look really good, but those aren't really variations of the helix.

Of course more than a couple times and it will start to look repetitive. By variations I mean like the zero gravity helix, helix aerials, and overall just positioning the knife differently at different parts of the trick.
<<

Looseyfur

Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:39 am

"Failure is not trying"...

keep em flippin.

L.
~Faultyply

PreviousNext

Return to The Art of Flipping