FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

The enigma of dual bali Jesus man (XcapeArtist1111)

Moderator: slashncut

<<

Boomaga

Post Tue May 10, 2011 2:27 am

Re: The enigma of dual bali Jesus man (XcapeArtist1111)

pygmy_marmoset wrote:But after you decided to learn the Van Gogh didn't you still make use of Vincent's tutorial?
Then there reaches a point, after the tutorial has caused the aerial to become widespread, where it loses its prestige and is just considered another run of the mill move. As Slash pointed out, the same thing happened with scissoring before it happened with the Van Gogh. Scissoring also has two really high quality tutos, one by Slash and one by Knifezoid. Is it a coincidence that both these aerials with high quality tutorials became so much more popular than all the countless others without tutorials?

I don't think the tutorial affects the popularity of the move THAT much.

I mean I definitely still think the kissGoodbye is an awesome move and still is after multiple tutorials.

and CherryPickers havn't become something i roll my eyes at when seen thought a lot of them have been happening lately.

and I've always considered the van goh not terribly cool or flashy. it reminds me of people who say "look one hand!" Idk why. it just never appealed to me.

and I believe scissoring is still a very flashy move that i'll always appreciate.
Not everyone can do a scissor as smoothly and fluid as others can. it takes time and practice and is so fast and subtle. there are many different ways to do a scissor and IMHO it's kind of an indication that you've flipped long enough to not quit or puss out anytime soon.
<<

Palethius

Post Wed May 11, 2011 3:01 pm

Boomaga, I can agree with pretty much everything you said.

As for tutorials, I think there is definitely a need for them... but only for the core moves and combos. Everyone needs some beginning instructions and examples of what can be done, and a tutorial can do that plus help teach you the move. They are great, but they shouldn't be relied upon. You should use tutorials to learn combos and moves at first... then use those techniques to experiment and learn new stuff. Honestly, there aren't too many techniques in balisong flipping... it's just a matter of how you put it all together. Besides, if everyone learned from tutorials and only tutorials... there wouldn't be new tricks... cause everyone would do the SAME MOVES... the SAME WAY. If you learn things on your own, you develop style, and certain moves can look VERY different in different styles. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what it's all about. Personal and unique style. If it all looked the same, it'd be boring.
#16 huh? /rollin' somethin' for the future....
<<

HonorHer

Post Wed May 11, 2011 9:31 pm

Palethius wrote:Boomaga, I can agree with pretty much everything you said.

As for tutorials, I think there is definitely a need for them... but only for the core moves and combos. Everyone needs some beginning instructions and examples of what can be done, and a tutorial can do that plus help teach you the move. They are great, but they shouldn't be relied upon. You should use tutorials to learn combos and moves at first... then use those techniques to experiment and learn new stuff. Honestly, there aren't too many techniques in balisong flipping... it's just a matter of how you put it all together. Besides, if everyone learned from tutorials and only tutorials... there wouldn't be new tricks... cause everyone would do the SAME MOVES... the SAME WAY. If you learn things on your own, you develop style, and certain moves can look VERY different in different styles. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what it's all about. Personal and unique style. If it all looked the same, it'd be boring.

hence why i did a tut on the hellbent move i showed people how everyone does it then i showed how i do it and make it easyier i cant remember the link directly off hand but you can visit my youtube channel and find it but like you said its a difrfernt and more comfortable way to do a trick we all love, and i found out how to do it my way from experiment with my style and everything in between. i started looking for a different way to do it because i cant do it the normal way i find it damn near impossible for me but i found a way on my own not by watching tuts but by trial and error .... btw my youtube is http://www.youtube.com/honorher
"How many human eyes . . . had snatched glimpses of their secret anatomies, down the passages of years?"

Clive Barker
"Books of Blood" FIRE643
<<

pygmy_marmoset

Post Sun May 15, 2011 11:56 pm

Cool channel, I will subscribe next time I go on youtube.

I was also having trouble with the Hellbent, having this pause in the middle. What I found worked for me to decrease this pause is to imagine I'm just holding one solid bar instead of a balisong, and imagine it is this same bar I'm whipping up to be caught. For some reason just imagining it this way, forces me to do something different and makes it faster.
<<

xxpacexx

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:31 pm

I found him through The Scarecrow Speaks - Deep Puddle Dynamics (music he's flipping to).
Previous

Return to The Art of Flipping