FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Blade Grabs

Moderator: slashncut

<<

Silent Jay

Post Tue May 24, 2011 10:53 pm

Blade Grabs

I find the Blade Grab to be much more than just some "novelty" or a "happy accident".

I think it is another step in manipulation. To use the rest of the balisong, and not limit ourselves to the handles. To take things to the next step and to keep moving forward.

Image jay
Looseyfur wrote:...spouting his wacky charlie sheen warlocks speech

15 of ?
It's just how we /roll

<<

Bladejunkie

Post Tue May 24, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: Blade Grabs

I like the idea, but I don't really find any of the blade grab moves to be flashy enough to look good in a routine. Imo it kind of breaks the flow. However something like twirling the whole bali between your fingers, (blade and all) would look pretty sweet. But as far as just aerials with blade grabs, imo it doesn't really add to the flipping as much as it distracts from the gracefulness of the art. And yes, I called flipping graceful, If done right it looks smooth. Don't like my opinion? I don't care... :stickwhack:
3rd place OKCA 2012
<<

Palethius

Post Wed May 25, 2011 10:58 am

Nice work SJ. I think you're right... blade grabs are gonna be one of the things being explored soon (same with open/locked moves). I've been practicing some new moves from a blade grab. I, personally, think they are awesome. I look at them like the around the world. It breaks up the monotonous feel of prolonged, constant movement. There's nothing wrong with those types of routines, but I find myself getting lulled to sleep when all I see is the knife twirling. Flow is great and difficult to perfect, but if you don't break that flow, the goodness is lessened a degree. You know... "Stop.... Hammer time" Breaks/stops accentuate the rest of the routine. Also, there aren't too many moves using blade grabs... so, it's in it's beginning stages. When there are more moves incorporating the blade... there will be no boredom. Plus, I think blade grabs can be easily fit into a flowing routine without breaking your flow. It just takes practice.
#16 huh? /rollin' somethin' for the future....
<<

xxpacexx

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:18 pm

<<

Vincent_Dark

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:36 pm

while the origin of this topic and jays video kinda stemmed from an on-going in depth discussion about blade grabs on a different forum, the short of it is basically that while blade grabs have been around for a long time, it is now a semi new area that people are starting to explore and take further than the standard aerial to blade grab. Incorporating new ways to get into it that fits their style and enables more options as to what to do with it once in the blade grab position.

The fact that it can disrupt the flow can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how it is performed....i feel that if you get into a blade grab and freeze up like a deer in headlights and pause to call attention to the fact that you grabbed the blade, then you have in fact ruined the move. The fact that you used the blade should be an afterthought to the viewer, they shouldn't even really notice it until after the move is done..and if they do realize that you catch the blade, it only looks good if you keep moving and don't stop.

how can disruption be a good thing?....if it breaks up the visual pattern created by certain combos, it can break the pace and rhythm as well as visual pattern. like music, there is an on beat and offbeat...and if a song had the same beat throughout with no deviation or change of tempo, it would quickly get boring.

Making blade grabs work, also depends on the flippers style....but it doesn't mean that it can't be done. I personally love blade grabs, and have been experimenting with them for a long time, i feel as if my personal flipping style works well with blade grabs....and on the other side of the coin, more fast paced technical flippers like flip4fun and silent jay have shown that they can incorporate blade grabs to work with their style of flipping.

the zen blade rollover you posted is very similar and is basically the same way that i get into a blade grab for a combo i did a tutorial on awhile back, except it doesn't start from the open knife position, but its basically the same roll just from a combo start up, which i think is a nice utility move to get into blade grabs.
Last edited by Vincent_Dark on Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Traveling at the speed of dark"
agent number 4..I /rollz for the lulz...a new standard has been set.
This message was brought to you by your friends, at the other side.
<<

DeadPuppy

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:04 pm

I started experimenting with bladegrabs the second I saw Vince's tutorial waaay back. I've done a bunch in various videos, but I don't think anyone's noticed yet... I'm almost done editing a video that has like 3 in it I think. They're really cool and open up a bunch of opportunities for combos.
"The best thing about killing a mime..is that they don't make any noise. It's the ultimate silent kill." -Vincent Dark
<<

ThatGuy

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:33 am

i've been playing around with blade grabs for a little while now, and i found that if you do an index rollover from the open position, you easily end it in a blade grab, and there's alot of things you can do from there without slowing down or stopping the flow

Return to The Art of Flipping