FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

How do you work on a new technique?

Moderator: slashncut

<<

Twinbalis

Post Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:41 am

How do you work on a new technique?

Considering there are so many different flippers here I figured itwould be informative to hear how different people work on new techniques. For example, some people might break a move down and practice each part individually, improving on each peice before stringing them altogether again. Others might work on the entire movment and build up spead gradually..etc. So, if you see a new technique you would like to learn how do you approach learning the movment?
How do you practice and refine new movments?
Just figured this could make an excellent informative posting.
<<

FkeSpydrFly

Post Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: How do you work on a new technique?

Good post twinballsack,

I try to not break down the steps when learning moves because that becomes a habit when practicing it.
But then again I'm not too into the "brand" moves that everyone does I try to have routines that don't consist of moves everyone does.

But when I was new I always tried to learn all the big name combos everyone seems to like, as we all did. The only time I broke the moves down was when I was first practicing it and that was only to remember what steps go where.
As you become more advanced I guess you will just have more of a feel and sight for what's going on and get it with out the week or so of practice (some of the times but not all)

Let's see some replies guys if this was a key flipping thread this would be 2 pages in no time at all
:roll:
fke
<<

c.wigum

Post Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:49 pm

I agree. I don't like to break it down into moves either, I try to learn the complete trick, whatever it may be.

I liken it to my training in Aikido where there is no punctuation, but a continuous spiral until the move is complete. Yes, it does make moves harder to learn but in the end it will have a better flow and you should be able to cut the pauses out of your routine.

I like to train, how I would in a fight and the same goes with my flipping.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

Nitelion94

Post Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:15 pm

I like to do it all at once. If I break it down then it takes a lot longer to get it to flow better. The only time I break it does if after I can do it I record it,see the parts that look bad and go over them a few times then do it again till it looks good.
FkeSpydrFly wrote:Good post twinballsack,

Let's see some replies guys if this was a key flipping thread this would be 2 pages in no time at all

Keys?? who flips Keys?????? tards :shock: .............. :oops:
Looseyfur wrote:
those who cant do... collect..
FkeSpydrFly wrote:
Guys!!! Im gay!!!!
<<

Palethius

Post Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:45 am

I break down everything to it's core parts. Then get good at ALL the parts. Then string them together to make the combo. Sure, it takes longer to get it to flow properly, but it works for me. Now, learning a new combo is easy. Just re-order all the maneuvers I already know into that other combo. Basically, I did this to learn all the basic... and I mean BASIC stuff that seems to get overlooked a lot. Arm motions... wrist motions.... finger movement... speed... etc. Once you have a good grasp of all those things... learning the new stuff is simple.

It's like killing two birds with one stone. Learning to crawl before you walk. Once you know the basics... the rest is up to you. BASICS. If you don't know all the individual parts in a combo... you just know THAT combo. I'd rather learn a combo AND a bunch of moves at the same time. It takes longer, but if you work hard in the beginning... then you won't have to work so hard later.
#16 huh? /rollin' somethin' for the future....
<<

slashncut

Post Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:25 pm

FkeSpydrFly wrote:Let's see some replies guys if this was a key flipping thread this would be 2 pages in no time at all

perhaps give people half a chance to post?

all depends on the move really.
for aerials, I sometimes use a tennis ball, apple or orange,... to see if I am able to throw an object in a certain manner. If i get that down, I get my bali, and practice with that

for other types of moves, I always start of slowly. that way, I know when to add finger/arm movement where necessary. Once I got that down, I just speed it up.
FATOC 2009 first place
FATOC 2010 first place
FATOC 2011 first place(shared)
<<

Silent Jay

Post Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:41 pm

Well, for more technical tricks, I used to break it down into sections. That, of course, was mostly because being new, I didn't know exactly what was going on, so I couldn't take the whole move in at once.

Now when I learn a new trick/combo, I'll learn it all in once shot, but make a mental not of where things can be changed up to possibly fit my routines better, and then practice my own variations.
Image jay
Looseyfur wrote:...spouting his wacky charlie sheen warlocks speech

15 of ?
It's just how we /roll

<<

DumbNinjaDude

Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:33 pm

I like to go through the technique move by move at first but once I've remembered what the moves are and what order they go in, I do what I can to string it all together. So I guess that I do a combination of both breaking it down and learning the move all at once.
<<

Nardath

Post Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:16 am

When i first started, before learning a new trick or whatever, i would always try to "master" the previous trick i learned. i learned like one trick a week because i would practice the same trick over and over before going to something new. and kinda like what Fke said when i first started learning the "branded" tricks i would follow tuttorials and do it step by step until i remembered what i had to do, but when it came time to execute, i would try and do it in one motion. then practice the whole motion millions of times until i get it right.

nowaways i just go for the whole thing, i dont spend time learning "tricks" per say, more like different techniques that can be link together and made into combos and shit. at this point its just observing, learning, creating and doing. its trial and error. if something doesnt work, try another way or another thing than repeat.
ImageImage
Third at FATOC 11'
Looseyfur wrote:the lord satan invents all tricks then he gives them to top flippers in the form of superpowers to be manifiest into reality from the nightmare realm.
<<

Walle273

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:32 am

I just pratice it slowly, cause I use to break it into small parts but I couldn't keep it flowing, so I just go through it slowly and smothly until I get it. For something fast paced no matter how you slice it(like scissoring) you just have to go for it and it comes with time. For big areals, I use a role of electrical tape or a hacky sack. When you are "mastering" moves, I like to try to use different bali's maybe change size or weight just to see how it works, generally If I can do a trick on my mini ccc, I can do it better on my Kimura so praticing with different knifes helps out, at least for me.
"FATOC is fun.
so are cartoons."(Looseyfur)
<<

jz840

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:50 pm

I break the moves down into there most basic parts.....
I figure most balisong moves are simply composed of ricochets, fans, twirls, chaplins, and rollovers. You could throw areals and transfers in to that list as well and you can pretty much break down most balisong moves into a combination of those techniques so i try to break em down like that..... for example behind the 8 ball = fanning roll out, followed by an index chaplin, thumb chaplin then a thumb roll over.... helix = thumb rollover, followed by a roll over on your index then back to a thumb roll over AKA y2k .... so on and so forth, thats just the easiest way to think about it for me.
<<

feenxfire

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:44 pm

jz840 wrote:I break the moves down into there most basic parts.....
I figure most balisong moves are simply composed of ricochets, fans, twirls, chaplins, and rollovers. You could throw areals and transfers in to that list as well and you can pretty much break down most balisong moves into a combination of those techniques so i try to break em down like that..... for example behind the 8 ball = fanning roll out, followed by an index chaplin, thumb chaplin then a thumb roll over.... helix = thumb rollover, followed by a roll over on your index then back to a thumb roll over AKA y2k .... so on and so forth, thats just the easiest way to think about it for me.

I think a lot like this.

Every trick can be broken down to the most basic twitch of the wrist. I look for those and then throw it all together two spins at a time.

Return to The Art of Flipping