FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

New Balisong trick/combo (The Impossible)

Moderator: slashncut

<<

jz840

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:37 pm

New Balisong trick/combo (The Impossible)

This is a new trick/combo I came up with a few days ago.... It's a simple but difficult trick.
I named it "The Impossible" because when I had first came up with the concept for the trick I had wondered if it was even possible to pull off, but i seem to have got it ok..... Also It sort of reminded me of the skateboard trick of the same name - so that's where the name comes from......

It's not really Impossible but is a hard trick, for being so simple.....

the trick is basically roll-overs in both directions on your pinky finger

Here is a video/tutorial (not a great tutorial honestly)*AND the video came out a little darker after i uploaded it, but still watchable, just not the greatest video as far a lighting goes :? .... but i think it's a really fun/challenging trick so I thought I'd share it.
Enjoy ^_^

Best footage of the trick itself is between 1:29-1:33 (wish I had slow mo for this but my version of imovie HD has some bug with the slow mo...... If anyone knows a free ware program that has a good slow mo feature, please let me know.....

EDIT: OK for some reason all the slow mo clip I try to create are being put right in the trash, so after copying them from the trash I find that they work. 8| Im too lazy to edit it into the vid at this point but here's the slow mo posted on its own....
Last edited by jz840 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

GetTheFood11

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: New Balisong trick/combo (The Impossible)

:facepalm:
Creative trick, but I wouldn't call it new.
<<

jz840

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:03 pm

GetTheFood11 wrote::facepalm:

I haven't seen anyone do it, in fact I've never seen anyone do a vertical pinky roll-over done in the forward direction.

And how can something be creative and not be new???

If you mean it's nothing new because it's just a combination of roll-overs? Then, no new trick will ever be created because all tricks are basically rollovers, ricochets, fans, chaplins, twirls, aerials, and transfers.

It seems that the dominant view point of the flipping community that a person can no longer put together a new combo and name it as a trick, if this was the attitude 5 years ago, we would have never had the helix or the behind the 8 ball, or a host of other awesome tricks.

I really wish that more people would post up their combos/tricks, or whatever you/they chose to call em, even if there not groundbreaking. I'd rather see people at least TRY to be creative but the atmosphere is very discouraging these days..... You gotta make sure to call it a combo VS a trick, cuz how dare you make a trick out of other trick, or how dare you change the fingers used and call it a new trick and not a variation. The end result of this kind of attitude being so dominant is that less people post new trick, and we get less tricks, variations, combos to watch and try.... I personally don't get why the standard is set so high now-a-days seems counter productive to the art.
<<

taylob15

'flipping beast'

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:46 pm

jz840 wrote:

nothing a smurf creates is new weve all done it or somethin like it and just not made a tutorial or video for it
feenxfire wrote:now you know my power i will prove it no further

TSCKBTA
<<

jz840

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:08 pm

taylob15 wrote:
jz840 wrote:

nothing a smurf creates is new weve all done it or somethin like it and just not made a tutorial or video for it

First of all what is a smurf?

And second where have you seen anyone do a vertical pinky roll-over in a forward direction. It requires a completely different approach than doing the same technique on any other finger.

I can do something like a "reverse wheel" but that doesn't mean I can nail that trick.
If all you have to do to is know" something like" any given trick then I know all the balisong tricks :roll:
<<

taylob15

'flipping beast'

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:40 pm

jz840 wrote:

And second where have you seen anyone do a vertical pinky roll-over in a forward direction. It requires a completely different approach than doing the same technique on any other finger.

i do those while practicing new tricks never thought of it as new. thought of it as antoher rollover and a smurf is someone whos name is blue :facepalm:

TSCKBTA
<<

jz840

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:22 pm

taylob15 wrote:
jz840 wrote:

i do those while practicing new tricks never thought of it as new. thought of it as antoher rollover and a smurf is someone whos name is blue :facepalm:

Like I said before I've done a vertical y2k** actually its a vertical orbit NOT a y2k ...I mis-wrote :lol: and vertical Chaplin in reverse but never thought to combine them in such a way to create the reverse wheel.... (really like that trick btw) even thought i can't get it to flow right yet.
But yeah i do have more tricks coming i just haven't made videos for yet, this was just the least complex of all the ones I plan on posting so it was easiest to make a video for.

But color of a ones name I assume is based on the number of posts, and I really don't know what that has to do with flipping at all. I have actually been a member of this forum longer than you, I just don't really post to any internet forum all that often. I'm a member of some 20 forums and probably have less then 700 posts in all the forums I've ever posted to combined, some I've been a member of since 1997. Ill probably post here for a while and disappear one day and just go back to lurking and posting the occasional video. It will really take me a few more years to surpass 200 post lol.... I'm just not a poster or forumite or whatever(popular enough in real life though ;) ), so what does that have to do with flipping ?? So i have to post a certain number messages before I can flip a bali, man, I wish I knew that sooner :roll:
Last edited by jz840 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

taylob15

'flipping beast'

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:27 pm

jz840 wrote:Like I said before I've done a vertical y2k and vertical Chaplin in reverse but never thought to combine them in such a way to create the reverse wheel.... (really like that trick btw) even thought i can't get it to flow right yet.
But yeah i do have more tricks coming i just haven't made videos for yet, this was just the least complex of all the ones I plan on posting so it was easiest to make a video for.

But color of a ones name I assume is based on the number of posts, and I really don't know what that has to do with flipping at all. I have actually been a member of this forum longer than you, I just don't really post to any internet forum all that often. I'm a member of some 20 forums and probably have less then 700 posts in all the forums I've ever posted to combined, some I've been a member of since 1997. Ill probably post here for a while and disappear one day and just go back to lurking and posting the occasional video. It will really take me a few more years to surpass 200 post lol.... I'm just not a poster or forumite or whatever(popular enough in real life though ;) ), so what does that have to do with flipping ?? So i have to post a certain number messages before I can flip a bali, man, I wish I knew that sooner :roll:

no offence but that could have been the most boring thing ive ever read on here with no relation to the quoted post

TSCKBTA
<<

jz840

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:30 pm

None taken :lol: I didn't say there wasn't a reason I post so little :D
<<

GetTheFood11

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:47 pm

I didn't feel like reading all the big ass posts that you posted in response to taylob, but the reason I wouldn't call it a new trick is because it is simply some rollovers. I believe a new trick is defined as a new way to manipulate the balisong. Think "around the world." There aren't really any other tricks like that. Another thing to think about is that you're a smurf. When I was a smurf and joined, whenever I discovered something new to me and had never seen before, I could have made a thread like this.
I had never seen this move before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAXKGX9FveU
But I didn't call it new because I'm sure someone else out there in the WHOLE WORLD had done the trick before. I also figured it was just common sense to not get on some of the flipping veterans nerves and just not make videos of tricks I thought were new. I still don't call any of my tricks new because with how far this sport/hobby has progressed and how many moves have been invented, I would have to come up with some really obscure trick for me to even think it was new.
<<

jz840

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:01 pm

so by your definition the cherry picker isn't a new trick....... after all it's just a hellbent + a y2k...... and how about the Marnex ladder.... just a twirl? Around the world is really just two opposing twirls and a vertical y2k. All trick on the balisong are made up about 7 simple manipulations, following your logic there will never be more tricks and most of the tricks out there shouldn't be tricks at all.

Uh what's with this smurf thing I have been a member of this forum longer than both of you...... so I'm in no way new to flipping balisongs, just very inconsistent in my forum posting/participation
<<

DeadPuppy

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:31 pm

jz840 wrote:I personally don't get why the standard is set so high now-a-days seems counter productive to the art.

THIS is why the standard is set so high now-a-days.
I see nothing "counterproductive to the art" about that.

The actual cherry picker involves a certain throwout to initiate the move. Most people that say they can do a cherry picker, don't actually do the cherry picker.

The around the world has a distinctive pause and catch in between the fingers that has nothing to do with any other kind of twirls.

Yes, many "tricks" are just combos, but there's plenty of them out there already. They are distinctive combos that everyone recognizes that have been around forever. Just because somebody puts a twist on a bunch of combos doesn't mean they made a new trick.

Now, sure it would be nice for everyone to post videos of their new tricks, but then youtube would be overwhelmed with craptastic videos of every kid with a knife trying to be cool. Heck, youtube already IS overwhelmed with craptastic videos of every kid with a knife trying to be cool. We set the bar high to change that. What would you rather see, a thousand grainy videos with sloppily performed tricks and horrible backgrounds? (and I admit, I'm guilty of that myself), or would you rather see a few videos like the one I posted that push the ART of balisong manipulation? We can talk about what a trick is and what isn't, or we could go practice and make something worth watching.

[/thread]
"The best thing about killing a mime..is that they don't make any noise. It's the ultimate silent kill." -Vincent Dark
<<

pygmy_marmoset

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:46 pm

I like the move.

JZ840 is one of the more creative flippers I've seen. He has his unique style and he always seems to be trying new things and thinking outside of the box.

taylob15 wrote:nothing a smurf creates is new weve all done it or somethin like it and just not made a tutorial or video for it

Taylob, this is one of the more laughable things I've read from you. Someone's post count does not say anything about their creativity. Consider that Kevin Slater is a smurf, he has 4 posts here. Meanwhile people like you and Beefy aren't smurfs. Thus you see the word has absolutely no meaning except for number of posts.

Keep flipping Jz840, you're awesome and I like your vids a lot.
<<

pygmy_marmoset

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:00 am

DeadPuppy wrote:Just because somebody puts a twist on a bunch of combos doesn't mean they made a new trick.

Now, sure it would be nice for everyone to post videos of their new tricks, but then youtube would be overwhelmed with craptastic videos of every kid with a knife trying to be cool.

It doesn't mean they've necessarily made a new trick, but I enjoy seeing people try to be creative and putting twists on things, as it were. JZ840 does that. Maybe he didn't create a new trick, but who cares, the guy is awesome.

I also think you have the wrong way of looking at other flippers. I don't see many of the people on youtube as "kids trying to be cool and putting out craptastic videos", and I do not really even see flipping as a something that has a linear scale of bad to good. Someone must have some degree of insecurity if they automatically lump the majority of youtube flipping vids into the "craptastic" and "kids trying to be cool" categories. I enjoy going on youtube and just searching for and watching the different flipping videos. I think everyone has something to teach us, not just those we consider the best.
<<

slashncut

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:08 am

this thread reminds me of bladeforums

it's a nice trick, I think I've seen something very similar from a flipper who participated in knifezoids bladeforums competition., not sure though.

so by your definition the cherry picker isn't a new trick....... after all it's just a hellbent + a y2k

the exact reason why I don't bother learning the names of tricks/combo's. I have no idea what a hellbent, behind the hellbent,.... is.
the point of having flipping terms is to have efficient communication. Only a few tricks succeed. Because we are all creative geniuses, we look for farfetched names for tricks, names that are completely arbitrary. most of the times, we don't take the trick we based our "new" trick on into account, or we don't think the resemblance to what we are naming the trick after through. most of us (myself included) name tricks for the novelty of it.

when do you do something new?
I don't want to bash on feenxfire here, but let's take a look at the cherry picker:
it's a y2k + a hellbent, nothing new.
the special throwout is not that special either, it's the same throwout as the one for the 8ball, but on another finger.

I might consider this trick "new", but I wouldn't bother naming it.
FATOC 2009 first place
FATOC 2010 first place
FATOC 2011 first place(shared)
Next

Return to The Art of Flipping