FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Mastering a Balisong

Moderator: slashncut

<<

SpydercoLover

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:18 pm

Mastering a Balisong

Hello, I've only been flipping for about a year now and I'm pretty decent. About how long did it take any of you masters out there to get as good as you are? I know I'm not going to be that good after just a year but im wondering how long it took other people. Thanks everyone :D
<<

DeadPuppy

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Mastering a Balisong

I've been flipping for just over a year. Some people here have only been flipping for a few months and they're way better than me. It all depends on the person. Some people naturally have a lot of dexterity while others are clumsy (me) and really have to work at something to get it.

It also depends on how much people practice. Personally I only practice in 10-25minute sessions, give my fingers a break, then practice again in a few hours. Or I flip during commercials. But for 9 months at college I barely flipped at all, maybe 2 or 3 hours a week tops. Some people practice every day several hours a day and they obviously get pretty good pretty fast.

So basically, it's different for everyone, depending on their available time, their practice habits, or their natural coordination. Some get good fast, some don't. Most of the REAL pros have been flipping for 3 years or more though; they've had plenty of time to learn advanced tricks and to practice them to amazing precision.
"The best thing about killing a mime..is that they don't make any noise. It's the ultimate silent kill." -Vincent Dark
<<

Nardath

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:55 pm

SpydercoLover wrote: I'm pretty decent

been flipping for a year and a half now. id love to see a vid of ur flippin brother
ImageImage
Third at FATOC 11'
Looseyfur wrote:the lord satan invents all tricks then he gives them to top flippers in the form of superpowers to be manifiest into reality from the nightmare realm.
<<

SpydercoLover

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:13 pm

Lol when i say decent, I'm being generous. Like i can flip pretty well but i am definitely clumsy while flipping. Also having a really loose CCC with one stopping pin missing doesn't help ether soo.... I am getting a spyderfly sometime this week. I do have a couple vids of me flipping already but there not the best
<<

SpydercoLover

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:19 pm

From the looks of your flipping. I'm now way near how good you are.
<<

Boomaga

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:27 pm

about a year now.

flip while watching movies/TV a lot.

i flip for 1-3 hour intervals usually or until my fingers get sore (not from cuts but from flipping)

but in no way do i think i have mastered the balisong. I've definitely improved but there's so much more to learn
<<

feenxfire

Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:27 pm

I've been flipping for about 3 and a half years now and I'm pretty OK. It takes time.

Some less than others.

Some just give up......
<<

Looseyfur

Full of Smiles and Sunshine.

Post Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:47 am

I BEEN FBLIPPINGS FOR 20 YERS . NO I WONT POT A VIDEO. BUT I CAN DO ALL THE MOVES. I ALSO USE MY BALI FOR SELFDEFESNE. I CAN DRAW IT OUT OF ITS POUCH VERY FAST. I DO DRILLS EVERYDAY.
"Loosey will throw down meat grinders in his wheelchair".
~Faultyply

Slaver: what is -=BRS=- ?
DeadPuppy: the future for balisongs

i blew the lid off of balisong-techniques.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<<

sirhorsechoker

Post Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:03 pm

i dont think i would say one "masters" an art. you can never be the best you could ever be. i hope that if i can find a little more time to practice that in a year or so i could challenge someone or something. if i really try i could get great. but lets describe slash as a bali master, you know like a kung fu master. i could try really hard for a thousand years and maybe still not be that good. there is an element of natural aptitude involved. how many years of practice does it take to become a great singer? well a whole damn bunch if you have a crappy voice, haha (i got youtube vids)
<<

feenxfire

Post Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:59 am

sirhorsechoker wrote:i dont think i would say one "masters" an art.

*nod*

I still don't feel as if I'm anywhere near mastering the balisong.
<<

reaper9243

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:22 am

ive been flipping a year and i like to think im decent i mean ive gotten down everthing from rollovers to hand transfers but i still need to add somthing new that nobodys seen yet some im just trying to work on that
<<

c.wigum

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:26 pm

reaper9243 wrote:ive been flipping a year and i like to think im decent i mean ive gotten down everthing from rollovers to hand transfers but i still need to add somthing new that nobodys seen yet some im just trying to work on that

:oops:
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

Slaver

Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:31 pm

Trying to put flippers in categories calling them basic, intermediate, master is just something to simplify our view in order to judge. There are no categories, there are just branches that grow from the tree of balisong, each developing and growing in its own direction. The only limit to how far your branch will grow is how much learning and time you are willing to invest. There is no limit called mastery.
<<

Looseyfur

Full of Smiles and Sunshine.

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Slaver wrote:here are no categories, there are just branches that grow from the tree of balisong, each developing and growing in its own direction. The only limit to how far your branch will grow is how much learning and time you are willing to invest.

are you a girl?
"Loosey will throw down meat grinders in his wheelchair".
~Faultyply

Slaver: what is -=BRS=- ?
DeadPuppy: the future for balisongs

i blew the lid off of balisong-techniques.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<<

Zach

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:54 pm

thats funny shit loosey.
Next

Return to The Art of Flipping