FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Taping vs Not Taping Blades

Moderator: slashncut

<<

Fullauto_armalite

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:35 pm

Taping vs Not Taping Blades

Hey Guys,

Just curious how many of you tape your blades when learning a new move? I personally DO tape my blade because i first of all like my hands and second of all enjoy other hobbies; namely playing guitar, that require all fingers to be working.

If you DO tape your blade, when if at all do you attempt to try said new move? For example, i just got the Double index rollover and i am hesitating to remove my tape even though i have the move down fairly solid. Im not really afraid of getting cut, but it would like to avoid it if possible.

Thanks,

Ryan
<<

Fargaminium

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Taping vs Not Taping Blades

I personally do not tape my blade, I have absolutley nothing against people that tape or use trainers though. When I first learn a trick, I'm always going to start out slow but having the consequnece of getting a cut adds to the fact that I need to be careful in performing it correctly. Most cuts you'll get from most beginner moves and intermediate moves will not kill your hand beyond repair, dont let the Cuts thread scare you too much. For a move like the Double-Index Rollover, where your mostly dealing with the safe handle, you should be fine. If you're dealing with the bite handle then as long as you learn to use wrist passes you'll also be fine (If done correctly)....

The worst that could happen would be that you stab yourself in the foot and can't walk for the rest of your life, but come on, that PROBABLY won't happen.....
Muhammed Ali had it all wrong, butterflies sting plenty
<<

Fullauto_armalite

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:42 pm

Thanks for the response... Like i said im not really afraid of getting cut. Ive never actually viewed the cuts thread. Could you point me to the Wrist Passes? I really really just dont want any tendon cuts on my fingers, Benchmade 440c blades are pretty freaking sharp right out of the box.

Thanks,

Ryan
<<

DeadPuppy

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:56 pm

Imma be honest. I taped one of my Kimuras during my brief attempt at doubles. There was too much going on to follow both knives at once and more often than not my left hand was left in ruin, so I taped one till I got a bit better. I felt like a total noob. When it comes to doubles, I still am.

Generally, I DON'T recommend taping knives. I, and many other members here, feel that being afraid of, or at least acknowledging the blade forces you to be more careful and learn proper flipping habits. It's easy to get lazy when the blade isn't live, then cut yourself when you go back to a live blade. So I'm not really for taping. BUT, in some cases getting lots of cuts, or bad cuts, can get in the way of flipping. If you can't flip, you can't learn anything anyway, so if you're getting cut a lot, perhaps taping is ok.

I have nothing against people that tape their blades. Performances need to be live blades, otherwise it's not as impressive, but folks learning probably aren't doing much performing anyway. I learned all the basics on a trainer and it all carried over to a live blade fairly easily, so if you seriously want to tape, go for it. And ONLY tape if you're an absolute beginner (or in my case, learning doubles). You reach a point where taping your blade will hinder your ability to properly learn more advanced tricks.
"The best thing about killing a mime..is that they don't make any noise. It's the ultimate silent kill." -Vincent Dark
<<

Fullauto_armalite

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:11 pm

DeadPuppy wrote:Imma be honest. I taped one of my Kimuras during my brief attempt at doubles. There was too much going on to follow both knives at once and more often than not my left hand was left in ruin, so I taped one till I got a bit better. I felt like a total noob. When it comes to doubles, I still am.

Generally, I DON'T recommend taping knives. I, and many other members here, feel that being afraid of, or at least acknowledging the blade forces you to be more careful and learn proper flipping habits. It's easy to get lazy when the blade isn't live, then cut yourself when you go back to a live blade. So I'm not really for taping. BUT, in some cases getting lots of cuts, or bad cuts, can get in the way of flipping. If you can't flip, you can't learn anything anyway, so if you're getting cut a lot, perhaps taping is ok.

I have nothing against people that tape their blades. Performances need to be live blades, otherwise it's not as impressive, but folks learning probably aren't doing much performing anyway. I learned all the basics on a trainer and it all carried over to a live blade fairly easily, so if you seriously want to tape, go for it. And ONLY tape if you're an absolute beginner (or in my case, learning doubles). You reach a point where taping your blade will hinder your ability to properly learn more advanced tricks.

Thanks for the Input. I have been collecting more years than flipping but im getting back into the groove of flipping. Im not a neophyte per say i have a little experience. I would say i am intermediate skill level. I will try it without tape. I understand what you are saying about being careful BECAUSE of the risk of being cut. Doubles isnt my style but if i decide to give it a go, i will take your advice.
Thanks,

Ryan
<<

Y.T.

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:03 pm

I'm still only beginning to learn and I can't do anything harder than a few rollovers, but everything I practiced on a trainer translated to a live blade immediately. Does taping really make you lazy later?

Exactly how bad can cuts get? The ones I've ever gotten weren't a big deal [I didn't even notice until there was blood dripping everywhere] cause the tricks were so basic, it was hard to mess up. I haven't been too worried about cuts [maybe I ought to be]. I did tape the one live blade I have so I don't rip the sheets on the bed I practice over...
<<

CDR_Glock

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:11 pm

I'm in the process of trying aerials. I have 2 Balisongs that are taped(42 and a 51). Once I feel comfortable, I go from light (51) to medium (43) to heavier (41SS) which are live blades.

Repetition and practice, alternating between taped and live blades, light and heavy knives.
<<

Pathian

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:08 am

I used to tape when I practiced things like Behind the 8 ball, helix, hell behind the bend, etc that end in a zen rollover because I would absolutely shred my index finger. After I learned better control I practice new moves/combos that end in that type of motion I just use a live blade.

These days the only things I tape for are moves where there is a lot of momentum behind the blade/point like aerials just because a major puncture/slash would set back practice by several days. I'm just about at the point where I'm comfortable enough with the basic aerial that I can do it with or without tape.

One thing I started doing with taped blades and my trainer is using the girlfriend's "dead" lipstck tubes to paint the edges. This will give you feedback on when you probably would have gotten cut so that the bad habits don't go unchecked.
<<

DeadPuppy

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:14 am

Pathian wrote:One thing I started doing with taped blades and my trainer is using the girlfriend's "dead" lipstck tubes to paint the edges. This will give you feedback on when you probably would have gotten cut so that the bad habits don't go unchecked.

That is genius! Everyone should do that with their trainers!
"The best thing about killing a mime..is that they don't make any noise. It's the ultimate silent kill." -Vincent Dark
<<

feenxfire

Post Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:09 am

When I first began flipping I taped up my blade for about three weeks or so. But, being the masochist I am, I removed the tape and have never let adhesive touch a balisong again! I'm not opposed to it. But I'm not so for it either. It takes away from the experience.

You need to get cut!

Sounds dumb, I know. But it teaches you the proper way to flip the knife. Otherwise you're just learning how to flip a trainer. And when you do decide to take the tape off, you're prolly gonna get cut worse than you would have originally. Sometimes this will discourage new flippers because it kills the sense of accomplishment they had when they were able to do the trick with the tape on. It's two completely different things, I promise you. It will benefit you in the long run if you take the tape off as soon as you're comfortable. No rush, but....hurry.

:TU:
<<

reaper9243

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:54 am

i play guitar too but ive never taped the blade i just feel it takes the danger part away or some shit it just doesnt make it as fun
<<

Fullauto_armalite

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:03 pm

UPDATE:

I have stopped taping my blade. Ive just been devoting tons of metal energy focusing on flipping. Its been going well though. Only a few minor nicks to report. Mostly from sketchy aireals :oops: But hey im still learning!
<<

Nardath

Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:47 am

I've never taped my blade. I remember when I first started flipping, the back of my index finger had 25 cuts and nicks. But still I never taped it.

But if u have other hobbies its understandable. But that never stopped me. I used to rock climb (boulder) and I remember can't being able to go climb a few times coz mu cuts were too bad lol

Right now I work with harsh chemicals, and cuts SUCK when I spills happen

But yeah, glad ur not taping. Anymore.
ImageImage
Third at FATOC 11'
Looseyfur wrote:the lord satan invents all tricks then he gives them to top flippers in the form of superpowers to be manifiest into reality from the nightmare realm.
<<

Slaver

Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:58 am

I tried to tape the blade once but it did not work out because the tape kept getting stuck with the handles. From then on I never tapped my blade again. Instead it gradually became dull so now there is only like 25% chance to get cut and almost not possible to get badly cut. I find it that this level of danger is the best for learning tricks because I would get cut too much, this way I only get cut when I really mess up (quite often).
<<

krc1503

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:42 am

I've never taped my blade. Mostly because I'm lazy and feel that it would take too much time to do I guess but I also feel that it gives me that much more initiative to figure out how to do the trick right. Also I only have chepo knives and most of the time they aren't very sharp. I don't really see anything wrong with taping untill you get a good grasp on the trick though cause getting cut sucks
Next

Return to The Art of Flipping