FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Taping vs Not Taping Blades

Moderator: slashncut

<<

c.wigum

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:51 am

Re: Taping vs Not Taping Blades

krc1503 wrote:I don't really see anything wrong with taping untill you get a good grasp on the trick though cause getting cut sucks

Getting cut used to suck...strangly the more you get cut, the less it sucks.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

ThatGuy

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:00 pm

i taped my blade for around the first week, mostly because my mom made me, but after that she stopped caring and i just took the tape off, and now i have probably around 20 cuts on my index finger, and like wigum said, the more you get cut, the less you care. Now i only get annoyed because they just dont stop bleeding :lol:

And i also do play guitar, i was actually playing a couple of minutes ago :lol: and my cuts really dont affect how i play though
<<

Chiv

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:40 pm

I think live blades are much more beneficial. The first two knives I owned were pieces of crap, and the blades were hardly sharp at all. The tricks I thought I knew just fine, like zen rollover, turns out were very sloppy when I got my hands on my new knife. Those first few days I got sooo many cuts, because my technique was not clean. Live blades help you so much more than a taped one.
I feel bad for everyone who isn't me.
<<

Rothman

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:45 pm

I love my balis but I tape when learning new tricks. There have been many times that I would have had some very serious cuts that taping has saved me. I'm not talking about little nicks or slices, I would have been in the hospital had the blade not been taped. Personally, I just love flipping. I don't really care if I ever flip a live blade, If I could find a trainer that was worth a shit I'd be perfectly content just flipping that. Everytime I hit myself with the taped blade, I know it and adjust accordingly. I don't think that cutting yourself is a prerequesit of learning. Most of the time (at least in my case) it's the technique that I'm trying to get nailed down that cuts me and therefore everytime I try the same move I will get cut. More often than not, I don't know what I did wrong and have no clue how to correct it so continuing to flip with a live blades is counter productive whereas flipping with a trainer or taped blade untill proficient makes more sense. Just my take on the matter.
<<

Silent Jay

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:13 pm

Rothman wrote:I love my balis but I tape when learning new tricks. There have been many times that I would have had some very serious cuts that taping has saved me. I'm not talking about little nicks or slices, I would have been in the hospital had the blade not been taped. Personally, I just love flipping. I don't really care if I ever flip a live blade, If I could find a trainer that was worth a shit I'd be perfectly content just flipping that. Everytime I hit myself with the taped blade, I know it and adjust accordingly. I don't think that cutting yourself is a prerequesit of learning. Most of the time (at least in my case) it's the technique that I'm trying to get nailed down that cuts me and therefore everytime I try the same move I will get cut. More often than not, I don't know what I did wrong and have no clue how to correct it so continuing to flip with a live blades is counter productive whereas flipping with a trainer or taped blade untill proficient makes more sense. Just my take on the matter.

While I don't personally agree with your take on taped blades or trainers, you may wanna look into this:

Image jay
Looseyfur wrote:...spouting his wacky charlie sheen warlocks speech

15 of ?
It's just how we /roll

<<

Rothman

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:36 pm

Silent Jay wrote:
While I don't personally agree with your take on taped blades or trainers, you may wanna look into this:

Sweet, I forgot that the Bearops line was coming out. I'd like to see how the lockup and blade play is on it. In the video you can see the handles flex out quite a bit. Thanks for the heads up!
<<

redsnake93

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:31 pm

Personally, I never taped my blade just cause I didn't want to mess it up! I mean, tape most likely wont hurt your blade at all as long as you use the right kind, but Im paranoid since they aren't always cheap. I've never gotten a bad cut really.

also...Im just too lazy to do that.
Looking to buy a Jerry Hom Basilisk. PM ME!
<<

Sixthinsight

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:33 pm

Tape isn't going to hurt your blade IMO , and i admit after i've been cut a couple times in one sitting sure, ill throw some on. Once a technique is picked up somewhat better then there's no need for it until the next learning curve when ill use it again when the blood starts flowing haha.

And yes that B200 trainer looks great .... sold
<<

slaysur

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:21 pm

I might be a bit late lol I haven't been flipping for that long but i considered taping my blade but i agree with alot of you, the chance of cutting myself helps give me some motivation to try and focus as hard as i can. I have no problem with people who tape but just not my preference.
Just my Two cents, Devin.
<<

SparkFlipper

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:50 pm

Okay so I just got mine yesturday, and while attempting the zen rollover and index rollover I've cut myself 9 times. 10 if you count when it landed on my foot. I'm now in too much pain to keep on flipping without taping. What should I do? :(

Also I've had good reflexes when dropping things all my life. 3 of my cuts are from messing up a trick and then caching the blade before the knife hits the floor. *facepalm*
<<

mahalkobalisongs

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:52 pm

SparkFlipper wrote:Okay so I just got mine yesturday, and while attempting the zen rollover and index rollover I've cut myself 9 times. 10 if you count when it landed on my foot. I'm now in too much pain to keep on flipping without taping. What should I do? :(

Also I've had good reflexes when dropping things all my life. 3 of my cuts are from messing up a trick and then caching the blade before the knife hits the floor. *facepalm*

i would tape it till your cuts heal
Nardath wrote:i usually suggest people to learn less and master more
<<

tboulay

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:06 pm

I've used a taped (not really tape, but I'll get to that) blade off and on. One of my knives is constantly taped because it's the one my son practices with, i'd let him go with a live blade but he was beside me when I sliced my left forefinger to the bone, so he's a little apprehensive about it, he's only 10 though so I'll cut him a break. :)

As for the "taping" I use the sticky part of cloth band aids. I cut really thin slices about the thickness of the back of the blade. They're really, really sticky and they're so thin that they pretty much just cover the cutting edge.

The only time I go out of my way to used the taped one is if I'm trying off handed combos where I'm using the bite side.
<<

mahalkobalisongs

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:09 am

tboulay can you post a video of your son flipping my brother is 10 too and he likes flip also :)
<<

tboulay

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:14 pm

mahalkobalisongs wrote:tboulay can you post a video of your son flipping my brother is 10 too and he likes flip also :)

Sure, I'll grab one tonight. I'll get my daughter as well (she's 8). Obviously nothing really complicated, mostly just basic horizontal, my son is just starting to play with the finger twirl. Both of them seem to enjoy it quite a bit; my wife.. not so much :D
<<

mahalkobalisongs

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:36 pm

tboulay wrote:
mahalkobalisongs wrote:tboulay can you post a video of your son flipping my brother is 10 too and he likes flip also :)

Sure, I'll grab one tonight. I'll get my daughter as well (she's 8). Obviously nothing really complicated, mostly just basic horizontal, my son is just starting to play with the finger twirl. Both of them seem to enjoy it quite a bit; my wife.. not so much :D

heres my brother
Previous

Return to The Art of Flipping