FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Scissoring and other related fillers

Moderator: slashncut

<<

Chiv

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:31 am

Scissoring and other related fillers

Sup guys! So, essentially, after watching many of the challenges and whatnot and even amongst the fabled "noobs" it looks like I'm in way over my head. I can do rollovers just fine, and I can do a basic aerial. I can do a twirling trick like the "kiss goodbye" but I dont know how to link anything like that together on my own. My question for you guys is what sorts of tricks should I try and work on to link everything together? I'm working on my Chaplin but Im having a difficult time. Id also like to learn how to scissor but dont even know where to begin. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers!
I feel bad for everyone who isn't me.
<<

Slaver

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:05 pm

Re: Scissoring and other related fillers

Every trick starts and ends in a certain position. All you have to do is to connect the starts and ends that fit each other, think about it like a big jigsaw of moves. Remember that helix, kiss godbye, etc... moves are just combinations of simpler moves so in a way you are already linking moves together. The first combo I learned was: full twirl - basic twirl - zen rollover. It`s real easy and fun to do.

Knifezoid(sungwei9) and slashncut(judgemodollar) have nice tutorials on scissoring, there are multiple ways of catching a scissor. It`s similar to learning the basic aerial - you just have to get a feel for it.

I hope this helps.

I agree, learning to do chaplins is a pain in the ass.
<<

Chiv

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:12 pm

Thanks for the help slaver. I'll check out those scissoring videos now, and I'll give that combo of yours a shot. :D
<<

Chiv

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:29 pm

How exactly do you get the knife tow twirl in between your fingers when youre scissoring...? lol
<<

c.wigum

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:57 pm

Chivilrousknight wrote:How exactly do you get the knife tow twirl in between your fingers when youre scissoring...? lol

With lots of practice.

Give this a shot. Its a good linking move http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMA5yDd_V7M
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

Chiv

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:40 pm

Thanks for that, working on it now! This video prompted me to ask another silly question. From what I learned, zen rollover meant it goes around the thumb horizontally, and y2k goes around the thumb vertically... In the video you linked me, he reffers to what I know as "zen" as the "y2k". So now im confused... whats the difference between the two? :help:
<<

HonorHer

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:00 pm

Chivilrousknight wrote:Thanks for that, working on it now! This video prompted me to ask another silly question. From what I learned, zen rollover meant it goes around the thumb horizontally, and y2k goes around the thumb vertically... In the video you linked me, he reffers to what I know as "zen" as the "y2k". So now im confused... whats the difference between the two? :help:

y2k is done from holding the bite handle and the zen is done from the safe handle hence ZEN the blade away from your fingers also a true y2k is vertical and a zen can be either
"How many human eyes . . . had snatched glimpses of their secret anatomies, down the passages of years?"

Clive Barker
"Books of Blood" FIRE643
<<

Chiv

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:07 pm

Oh gotcha, interesting. Thanks HH :)
<<

placebo398

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:53 pm

Yea I need to work on my scissoring also, not as smooth as I would like it to be ><
<<

Chiv

Post Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:56 am

Yea its definately tough, but ive been practicing so I'm getting there :D good luck to you!
<<

pygmy_marmoset

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:17 pm

Scissoring is not really what I'd consider a "filler". I know some of the more advanced flippers have called it that, but scissoring is a high risk move requiring lots of practice and (to me at least) it's impressive.
<<

Chiv

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:29 pm

Yea you can say that again :lol: I think its really cool, I still suck at it a lot. Its scary but I've been workin on it.

Return to The Art of Flipping