FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

One handed flipping?

Moderator: slashncut

<<

Chiv

Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:34 am

One handed flipping?

Hey guys,
So the more I practice and just mess around, I'm realizing I instinctively only use my right hand. I've tried practicing with my left before, but its more of a chore than anything... I've noticed that most people on here either use doubles or are amedextrious flippers. My question is; is it even possible anymore to make a name for yourself as a one handed flipper? Or is that a thing of the past, and in order to make it you gotta use that other hand :pirate_whip:
Thoughts, comments, opinions?
Thanks
I feel bad for everyone who isn't me.
<<

Slaver

Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:04 am

Re: One handed flipping?

There are not many here in the arena that are ambidexterous or that practice doubles. You can definitely be a great one-handed flipper. Take fkespdryfly for an example, the last video he made beat all 2 handed flipper in his category (slashncut). How many knives you flip is no limit to how good you can be.

Learning to flip with your left hand is a chore at first but after you get over the zen rollover and full twirl you will start enjoying it. There are not many doubles flippers around so if you and more people decided to go that way it would definitely spice up the flipping scene with new aproaches and styles. It would also take the "I flip 2 knives" trademark from slashncut and make it just a choice of what you prefer.
<<

Chiv

Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:42 pm

Makes sense. Thanks for that :D I can do zen with my left hand and BT8B but today i tried twirling and I felt so stupid lol. Guess I jus gotta keep practicing
<<

pygmy_marmoset

Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:29 pm

I'm with you Chivilrousknight, I hate practicing with my off hand and I suck at it. I also have something wrong with my left pointer knuckle from a past injury, so everytime the bali handles hit that knuckle it hurts. I'm still trying to learn with my off hand but it's very frustrating, and it's so tempting to just go back to my dominant hand after a few minutes.

I think to win something like FATOC you would have to get good with both hands, but you can still be a great flipper with one.

A lot of people who are good with dual balis are left handed, ever notice that? These people are already more ambidextrous than righties because everything is designed for right handed people and they've been forced to use their off hands since birth. I also think the true ambidextrous people (1 out of every 100) look for hobbies where they can make use of their natural gift.
<<

Chiv

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:04 am

Yea that makes a lot of sense. I want to make that switch so I can use both hands, but it's just so annoying lol. Sorry about your knuckle man, thats a real bummer. Keep practicing though, I think I might keep working on it myself.
<<

HonorHer

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:28 am

i pratice my off hand but not as much as i probably should and as for doubles i dont personally care for them just my opinion though, i always found it more appealing to be able to do some sweet ass transfers and flip the fuck outta both hands as opposed to just doing different shit in each hand with 2 balis so yes i agree that you should be an ambidextrious flipper but not neccisarily just for doubles i think one knife can not only look as good but better than some doubles routines but again thats just my personal opinion
"How many human eyes . . . had snatched glimpses of their secret anatomies, down the passages of years?"

Clive Barker
"Books of Blood" FIRE643
<<

Chiv

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:40 pm

I agree HH, not a huge fan of doubles. If I ever pick up a second knife I might give it a shot, but at least currently I like flipping just one knife. I should probably try working on my off hand a little more, but I'm just so horrible with it :lol:
<<

HonorHer

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:10 pm

youll get better i promise we all started by picking up the knife
"How many human eyes . . . had snatched glimpses of their secret anatomies, down the passages of years?"

Clive Barker
"Books of Blood" FIRE643
<<

c.wigum

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:38 pm

Slaver wrote:There are not many here in the arena that are ambidexterous or that practice doubles. You can definitely be a great one-handed flipper. Take fkespdryfly for an example, the last video he made beat all 2 handed flipper in his category (slashncut). How many knives you flip is no limit to how good you can be.

Learning to flip with your left hand is a chore at first but after you get over the zen rollover and full twirl you will start enjoying it. There are not many doubles flippers around so if you and more people decided to go that way it would definitely spice up the flipping scene with new aproaches and styles. It would also take the "I flip 2 knives" trademark from slashncut and make it just a choice of what you prefer.

I'd hardly call fke a one handed flipper... his off-hand is very under-rated IMO. If you want a better example of a one handed flipper who is better than the average bear, I'd go with feen.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

HonorHer

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:22 pm

i dont know stus off hand is pretty amazing too

Clive Barker
"Books of Blood" FIRE643
<<

c.wigum

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:58 pm

HonorHer wrote:i dont know stus off hand is pretty amazing too

For chaplins...maybe.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

Looseyfur

Full of Smiles and Sunshine.

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:06 am

the journey of being the best flipper requires both hands.

period.
"Loosey will throw down meat grinders in his wheelchair".
~Faultyply

Slaver: what is -=BRS=- ?
DeadPuppy: the future for balisongs

i blew the lid off of balisong-techniques.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<<

ryanol

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:50 am

So in this same vein, what's yer strategy for practicing.

shoot for close to absolute perfection on a trick with dominant hand first or get it down for the most part with dominant hand then switch to off hand practicing and back and forth etc?

Basically I find myself in the latter and just wondering what errybodies opinions are?
<<

HonorHer

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:26 am

ryanol wrote:So in this same vein, what's yer strategy for practicing.

shoot for close to absolute perfection on a trick with dominant hand first or get it down for the most part with dominant hand then switch to off hand practicing and back and forth etc?

Basically I find myself in the latter and just wondering what errybodies opinions are?

imaster it in one hand then master it in the other although im still having trouble with my off hand helix its decent but not perfect yet

Clive Barker
"Books of Blood" FIRE643
<<

T-man

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:12 pm

ryanol wrote:So in this same vein, what's yer strategy for practicing.

Lately it's been all about the perfection. No longer will that be true for me. I mean sure, make it as smooth as possible, but let your other hand have some fun too.
:mrt:
" It comes with the territory." - Jessica
" :vid: <--- Cause that's how shit works here for everyone :stickwhack: " - Silent Jay

Return to The Art of Flipping