FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Live flipping contest - how would things be different?

Moderator: slashncut

<<

pygmy_marmoset

Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:19 pm

Live flipping contest - how would things be different?

Imagine a major flipping competition not done over the internet, but held in front of a live audience. All participants are issued a brand new production knife for use in the contest with a factory sharp edge. Do you think under these circumstances people would be more conservative with their flipping?
<<

FkeSpydrFly

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:17 am

Re: Live flipping contest - how would things be different?

This is a really good question actually..

Would we get 10 minutes or so to adjust to the knife or just jump right into not even knowing how it feels?
Would we get our choice of how loose or how tight it is? I cant speak for alot of people but i know i like my balisong with a good amount of play in the handles.

The factory edge thing would be nice also for the audience to actually see how sharp it is at that moment would make it alot better to watch because i mean yeah we can do paper cuts on camera but to someone who doesnt flip and know the person might be thinking that the flipper could have just dulled it after that clip.

I do think people might be alittle more conservative about they're flipping but i mean isnt everyone when they first get they're hands on a knife that theyve never touched before?

I think it would be hard but it would be really interesting and id like to be in a contest like this, or any live competition for that matter.
fke
<<

c.wigum

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:55 am

Yes... to begin with.

If I were given a new 42 or something that I already flip and are used to then I don't think it would really effect my flipping. It would be easy enough to adjust the pivots to how I like it.

As for flipping in front of an audience... well I've never done that before, so until I got over the stage fright thing I think I'd be conservative with my flipping.

I'm just thinking that it was bad enough when I first started filming myself. That small added pressure to get something good on film was enough to throw me. Now I film all the time I don't even think of the camera.

I think it would be the same with an audience. It would take time to acclimatise before you really started throwing down.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

Silent Jay

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:53 am

I think it all depends on how big of an audience you're looking at.

While I feel that it'd be natural to want to stick to things that you know you can do with 100% consistency with little room for error, if there's a large enough crowd, you can't.

If it's a small crowd, you can stick to some twirl and roll combos that they will still be able to see and appreciate it. But, once you get into much larger crowds, you HAVE to go big, because they just will not be able to really see, let alone appreciate what you're doing.

Now, under certain circumstances, it could work, but in that scenario, it'd be rough to do anything that wasn't big.

Now, if you meant something else, where we would be able to do our usual thing. I'm sure with a standard issue bali and some time to practice with it beforehand, I'm sure things would go pretty well for most. While not in the situation, it's easy to assume that you'd get almost a stage-fright, on the spot, I'm sure most would begin to focus on what their doing to block out the realization of how many people are watching and might flip even better.

Just my theory on the matter. We should make this happen and find out for sure :mrgreen:
Image jay
Looseyfur wrote:...spouting his wacky charlie sheen warlocks speech

15 of ?
It's just how we /roll

<<

HonorHer

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:59 am

no go for me definatly stage-fright :lol:
"How many human eyes . . . had snatched glimpses of their secret anatomies, down the passages of years?"

Clive Barker
"Books of Blood" FIRE643
<<

JohnnyBmore

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:59 pm

This is pretty much where I would like to see balisong competitions go .. I think it would be a great event at lets say a KNife show or even at Blade show ..

New factory knifes would be a great way to get the Balisong companies to come through & support ... Shoot might even land flippers sponsorships to travel & demo "Sell" their product.... sounds crazy but that's what I said when I started stunt riding motorcycles back in 1998 .. here I am now having spent the better part of ten years advertising motorcycles through doing "Stunts" .. never thought it would happen

I will be back with more input
" Emergencies seldom favor the unprepared "
<<

pygmy_marmoset

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:28 pm

People would be able to adjust the bali and warm up before going on stage.

How I envision this working is the participants would say in advance what bali they would want and the contest would provide one NIB with a verified factory sharp edge for the duration of the contest. Perhaps the contest could also have a aerial round where balis would have a minimum weight requirement of 6.5 oz, thus forcing people to use steel or brass handled balis for this aerial round.
<<

HonorHer

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:27 pm

pygmy_marmoset wrote:People would be able to adjust the bali and warm up before going on stage.

How I envision this working is the participants would say in advance what bali they would want and the contest would provide one NIB with a verified factory sharp edge for the duration of the contest. Perhaps the contest could also have a aerial round where balis would have a minimum weight requirement of 6.5 oz, thus forcing people to use steel or brass handled balis for this aerial round.

i like this useing a 51 is kinda lik cheating imho its just way too light i could throw down eXos all dayand not be afraid of getting cut
"How many human eyes . . . had snatched glimpses of their secret anatomies, down the passages of years?"

Clive Barker
"Books of Blood" FIRE643
<<

c.wigum

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:03 pm

HonorHer wrote:
pygmy_marmoset wrote:People would be able to adjust the bali and warm up before going on stage.

i like this useing a 51 is kinda lik cheating imho its just way too light i could throw down eXos all dayand not be afraid of getting cut

Not sure how it is cheating. Sure the risk factor of getting injured may be less, but you are still doing the same trick, regardless of the weight difference.

Fuck up a trick with a light or heavy trick and you still get cut.
<<

knifezoid

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:51 pm

It would change EVERYTHING. This would very much be like the X Games where people would have to pull off tricks in OFFICIAL LIVE COMPETITION to get
true credit for it. I think that's what would really be significant. It would really start separating the men from the boys that's
for sure. Your true skill level would be represented live. On youtube there are unlimited redos so technically you could just
let the film roll till you land something. Although that is a lot easier said than done... I think credit for tricks, performances,
innovations would be redefined. Kinda like this years X Games in motocross. Front flips have been landed before on a motocross
bike, but never in competition until this year. That won Gold and it will be Jackson Strong who will forever truly get credit for
landing the front flip. Not someone who did it on a private dirt track or into a foam pit.

Just to add though, I'm not saying youtube/recorded performances don't have their place. They certainly do. They offer something
live competition lacks and that is distinction in style. I'm talking more about presentation style. That is starting to play a huge roll
in the flipping community and is a large factor in who is dominant in the sport and who is not.

Guns for show, knives for a pro. ( [X] )
<<

JohnnyBmore

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:52 pm

Let me clarify what I meant when I said new factory knives .... Not only do the crowd know they are new & sharp .... but it is an advertisement for the company ..
Example: lets say Benchmade sponsors a comp at blade show where everyone has to use a 51 .."Benchmade Freestyle flipping Invitational " sponsored by Benchmade & the BM51 morpho . well its a big benchmade advertisement .. now on top of that you add the things Zoid touched on & you really got something that can grow ...

I mean what If Bradley ,Benchmade, spyderco, others?? where to join forces or even separately provide a live competition opportunity starting just once a year.. it would only translate to more sales & a bigger community/lifestyle sport
" Emergencies seldom favor the unprepared "
<<

pygmy_marmoset

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:26 pm

I don't see the knife companies ever sponsoring a live flipping contest. Not just because balisongs represent a fraction of the market, but because there would be a huge risk of lawsuits. Especially if there was a contest held to these rules - you know at least some of the people would be getting severe cuts.

I don't think a live flipping contest would ever make money, for anyone. If a live contest were organized it would require an expenditure of money that wouldn't be regained. Who would even buy tickets to this? The tickets may have to be given away to create an audience. Maybe if it were held in the Philippines people would be interested in watching it.
<<

c.wigum

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:11 am

pygmy_marmoset wrote:I don't see the knife companies ever sponsoring a live flipping contest. Not just because balisongs represent a fraction of the market, but because there would be a huge risk of lawsuits. Especially if there was a contest held to these rules - you know at least some of the people would be getting severe cuts.

I don't think a live flipping contest would ever make money, for anyone. If a live contest were organized it would require an expenditure of money that wouldn't be regained. Who would even buy tickets to this? The tickets may have to be given away to create an audience. Maybe if it were held in the Philippines people would be interested in watching it.

Eh? ever watched the X-games... ever watched any UFC... Boxing.... Football... Ice Hockey. Don't they have sponsorship? I would have thought that the potential to die or be paralyzed for life would be higher in any of those sports than flipping a knife.

Also, I've never had a "severe cut". Well, nothing that has has required stitches or an amputation. I tend to think that "severe cuts" are few and far between. Yeah, you tend to get cut and yeah there is blood but they tend to be minor in my experience. Nothing like a broken leg or back that you may get doing a back flip on a motor bike. It just doesn't compare.

AND... I would buy a ticket, just as long as their were dancing girls..oh and Polar Bears (I love Polar Bears 8-) )
<<

Silent Jay

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:35 pm

pygmy_marmoset wrote:I don't see the knife companies ever sponsoring a live flipping contest. Not just because balisongs represent a fraction of the market, but because there would be a huge risk of lawsuits. Especially if there was a contest held to these rules - you know at least some of the people would be getting severe cuts.

Why not? I mean, it's advertizing for them, so it makes sense. Even if Balisongs and flippers are a fraction of the market (right now) it's still advertizement. And if you're worried about lawsuits, you've probably never seen any event for anything ever. Hockey leaves people more people injured, no issues. Any sort of extreme sport leaves people more injured, no issues. People can get severely injure or even die at the Olympics, no issues.

pygmy_marmoset wrote:

Vendors, advertizing, ticket sales, ect. ? Forgetting about those? You're also going too far into a huge scale of an event right away. Something like this would have to build up.
Say, it starts off with a few people at some knife shows doing some demonstrations for people. Soon, more people get involved, and there's contests. You get enough people watching, the following builds up. Eventually, you might have large numbers of people showing up to these events FOR the flipping contests. BAM! All it takes is for someone there to notice that it's something marketable, and you've got sponsored competitions. Even if it starts on a small scale, never count it out.
Image jay
Looseyfur wrote:...spouting his wacky charlie sheen warlocks speech

15 of ?
It's just how we /roll

<<

knifezoid

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:15 pm

This is what I don't understand about our community. Why say never? Why downplay our sport? Look at the below:

Rock Paper Scissors doesn't even have product attached to their interest. Yet they give away 1000s of dollars
in prizes and Amp sponsors their events. It's a world wide competed event.

You're gonna sit there and tell me that you don't think companies would EVER have an interest in promoting flipping?

I'm not trying to single you out, Pygmy. I'm making a general statement that I think needs serious consideration
from most of the members within our community. If you guys keep thinking like that then you're right we'll never
get anywhere.

And for the record, we have already been sponsored by Kershaw and been offered sponsors from major knife
distributors courtesy of the efforts of Loosey. Not for live events, but for competitions nonetheless. You guys
will be forever confined to the box if you refuse to think outside of it.

Guns for show, knives for a pro. ( [X] )
Next

Return to The Art of Flipping