FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

My Journey

Moderator: slashncut

<<

QuinnC11

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:10 am

My Journey

Hi everyone, I made an introduction thread so for those of you who don't know me feel free to go say hi but anyway I'd like to talk about how I'm doing so far in my first week of flipping.

I bought my very first butterfly knife ever off of BladeHQ, i ordered a Bradley Kimura IV on a Tuesday night at around 11pm and it arrived only 3 days later on Friday at about 2pm. I live in Ohio so it was sent from across the country. I used standard shipping which is supposed to be 5-9 days so i figured I'd share this with you guys as maybe a tip for those of you who are trying to decide where to get your first knife from.

Anyway when I first got it I cut myself within the first 2 hours of owning it. Now all I do in my spare time is flip. When i first started reading about flipping everyone was talking about getting cut is going to happen and i was thinking "oh that wont happen I'll be really careful". Well I was wrong I've cut myself many times already.

I started flipping on October 1st and heres a list of the tricks I know so far:

Basic Vertical Opening
Basic Horizontal
Basic Backhand 2
Fast Draw
Swirl
Latch Drop

I'm having problems with some of the other tricks which is expected being a beginner but i figured the fastest way for me to fix those problems is to talk to you guys which is why i wanted to start a thread.

A bigger problem I'm having is what i think is called rollouts? rollovers? fanning? I can spin the blade in circles but It's a little awkward. The twirl is the move I'm trying to learn at the moment but the first initial movements are what I'm having trouble with.

Anyway ANY advice at all that has to do with balisongs would be appreciated. I've done a lot of reading and a lot of practicing and I wanna keep going.

Some questions:
Any specific tricks you guys recommend I learn next?
Any interesting/inspiring/amazing videos you guys think I should see?

Anyway, I really hope I didn't break any rules posting this here. Also, I'm definitely not asking to be spoonfed, hope i don't come over that way.

Thanks very much guys, nice to meet you all.

-Quinn

--EDIT--

Another question.. Is there a good place to buy tools/cleaning/maintenance supplies for my specific knife? It'd be nice to have the tool to take it apart and put it back together or to tighten loosen the screws/pins or whatever in the knife. Thanks again.
<<

ryanol

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:07 am

Re: My Journey

Welcome man...not sure if this is in the right place but I'd assume it's no biggie.

I am not that much farther down the list than you...rollovers take some time to get used to but once it clicks its one of the most fun aspects of flipping IMHO.

I know for me it was about finding the sweet spot on the handle- somewhere around 2/3rds of the way up. When you move over to Zen or bitehandle work choke up as high as possible, if your up near the horns or tang pins she can't really bite ya.

but yeah they will cut ya. I got a Nathan Dewey blade that's so sharp it doesn't so much bite as actually slice off parts of your flesh when it spins by.
<<

QuinnC11

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:43 pm

Ah ok, cool stuff man thanks for the advice :).
<<

Fargaminium

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:50 pm

You're progressing really fast actually. :TU: As for future moves to learn, I would definatly recommend the twirl/backhand twirl (look for cutlerylover on youtube) after learning the twirls, I moved onto y2k's and other thumb rollovers that seemed impossible at first but now they are without a doubt my favorite moves.
Muhammed Ali had it all wrong, butterflies sting plenty
<<

CDR_Glock

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:17 pm

Watch BiteHandle and CalvinNation on YouTube. Work on their lessons. Then follow Knifezoid. He goes by Sungwei.
<<

c.wigum

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:13 pm

Learn the full twirl, helix, behind the 8 ball, chaplin's and basic aerials on both hands.

Then try to link the tricks, eg full twirl into a helix into a chaplin into a basic aerial.

Then learn some basic transfers and alternate between both hands.

*Warning... ignore your off hand at your own peril.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

Slaver

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:48 am

Hey man you seem like a very eager flipper which is great.
I also had trouble learnig fanning so don`t worry, keep practicing other moves and it will eventually come to you.
It`s awesome a pen spinner decided to go with balisongs, you already have a feeling for some moves.
A zen rollover is pretty much the same as thumbover in pen spinning, so if you can do it a zen rollover should be easy once you get comfortable with leting the knife go.

You might want to check out this site to learn some cool tricks: http://www.balisonginfo.com/techniques.html
The trick called rewind is my favorite.

Feel free to ask more questions and don`t let anyone on this forum spoil your fun for balisongs. :TU:
<<

knifezoid

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:48 pm

Your story is a lot like mine. Got mine off Blade HQ, a Kimura 1, bled a lot, looked for tutorials, got hooked.

Welcome to the Arena! :welcome2:

Guns for show, knives for a pro. ( [X] )
<<

QuinnC11

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:32 am

I really appreciate the warm welcome guys; and all the advice too. Lately when I'm not learning new tricks or don't have a way to look up new tricks I'll continuously do the basic horizontal. I kept getting quicker and quicker at it and now its almost instantaneous. The great thing about this is in getting faster it helped me get the rotating of the knife down a bit and I think I might be able to learn the twirl now. Wish me luck.
<<

T-man

Post Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:27 pm

Mooooved to off topic for now.
:mrt:
" It comes with the territory." - Jessica
" :vid: <--- Cause that's how shit works here for everyone :stickwhack: " - Silent Jay

Return to The Art of Flipping