FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Balisongs versed with other folding knives - combat.

Moderator: slashncut

<<

Switchfeathers

Post Sat May 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Balisongs versed with other folding knives - combat.

Just a topic I got to thinking about recently. I was looking over my countries (very badly enforced) knife laws, wondering why I needed to jump through a couple extra hoops to get myself balisongs. Apparently it's to do with Balisongs being "opened via a spring or centrifugal force", being "concealable" and being "able to be opened with one hand".

Which made me wonder, I have a flick knife as part of my collection, just a cheap little 40 dollar thing I picked up at a camping store. It's smaller than my balisongs, so it's a lot easier to hide. It opens within half a second using only one hand and a decent flick of the wrist. It's definitely sharp enough to deal some nasty damage...

In a fight, a man versed with this knife versed with a balisong would, in my mind, have an advantage. They can open their knife faster and more silently, conceal it better and still keep a powerful cutting edge.

So, I terms of combat and self defence, what advantages to balisongs really offer? Distraction? Intimidation? A comparably stronger lock than other knives?

I'm just trying to figure out why these knives are so readily banned in so many places while knives that actually make more effective fighting tools (I think) are free game.

Anybody have opinions on this? And sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in.
<<

JJhamilton

Post Sun May 20, 2012 5:07 am

Re: Balisongs versed with other folding knives - combat.

1st off the law is stupid, spring assisted knives are legal due to the fact they dont have a switch. Even s simple lock blade can be deployed just as fast as a bali with practice. Most violent crimes are involving a gun....and the laws about guns are stupid too. Most weapon laws just inpower those who dont obey laws anywah and strip law abiding people of protection....just a rant sorry but the truth....now a bali a better knife for defense and utility for the following reasons.....can be deployed with one hand, just like a spring assited but can be deployed in any position ie reverse blade grip (blade facing upwared) standard grip ( blade down) or in icepick position. Any position needed a bali can be deployed with one hand quickly. Once deployed the design of a bali makes the knife jus as sturdy as a fixed blade, no fear of knife closing on your hand (even if it strikes bone) ...the design also allows the carry of a much more larger blade in a more concealable package than ethier a fixed or folding design.
<<

Switchfeathers

Post Sun May 20, 2012 9:06 am

Hmmm.. some interesting points there. Had my Leatherman folding knife close on my finger the other day, cut me up something nasty.

And yes, the law is stupid, you get used to stupidity in this country. Fortunatly, customs is also stupid so getting a balisong here is just a matter of being smart. I'll wager most of the people working at customs don't even know what a butterfly knife is, let alone that they're illigal. I didn't until I got my first one and started looking stuff up about em'. Go figure.

I've been EDC'ing my Exiled, laws be damned. So far it's fared a lot better than my folding knives for the very reasons you've stated. I do need to be careful, though. Getting caught with one of these wouldn't be good. Probably a good thing my neighborhood is nice and quiet.
<<

c.wigum

Post Wed May 23, 2012 4:16 am

Grendy wrote:I love my Balisong knive! It is one of my favorite in my collection! I know that theres a lot of Balisong knife in Asian country!
:TD:

Hello Grendy howzit?

I'd just like to take the time to point out the following;

- "Knife" is plural. Therefore "Knives" refer's to more than one knife.

And also.... where exactly is "Asian country"? BECAUSE I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv Balisong KNIVES.... and if they have a lot of them in this "Asian country" I would like to visit one day.

That is all... carry on! :happypills:
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)

Return to The Art of Flipping