FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Setting up a training regiment and things I should know/do.

Moderator: slashncut

<<

DMSHA

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:24 pm

Setting up a training regiment and things I should know/do.

Hello. My (relatively) first post here on the Flipping Arena. I'm hoping to start a training regiment for bali flipping. I'm tired of not improving at all and falling out of my various hobbies. I want this one to stick. I read through the tip sticky and have been practicing with my off hand a bit to get a feel for it.

I know so far (the things that I KNOW the names for):

Basic Twirl
Basic Openings
Y2K
Zen Rollover

Do you guys have any tips for which moves to learn first/are helpful to learn earlier rather than later? Also, should I focus on getting REALLY GOOD with just a couple of flips (moves?) before moving on to more or should I just try to learn everything regardless of if I am doing it quickly/efficiently as long as I know the gist of the move?

What do you all do as far as training goes? Do you just flip when you feel like it, or do you sometimes do it even when you don't want to? What do you do for training? Do you pros even train or do you just flip like bosses always with no problems like nothing unusual is happening (sarcasm)?
<<

Klockwyse

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:37 am

Re: Setting up a training regiment and things I should know/

I would recommend you start to learn behind the 8 ball and helix. They may seem intimidating at first but just keep at it and you'll get it. As far as "training", I just flip at home when I'm bored, I have a bali in my hand when I'm watching youtube vids, in a skype call ect. Don't get too hung on up "training regiments", just flip and have fun.
<<

c.wigum

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:54 am

I don't do any training. I just flip for the fun of it.

I'd suggest just doing whatever you feel like. The more you do the better you'll get at it. If you try to stick to some sort of programme it loses it's fun factor and becomes a chore.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

Uh-Oh

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:55 pm

I don't really have a routine or something for flipping, I have been flipping with my right hand for a long time and is just now gettting the left hand to flip somewhat smoothly.I mainly just work my way up to moves in my left hand, basic to twirling to the 8 ball to helix and whatever new move I may be learning. At times I try to just do one or two moves in my left hand, I do them over and over, untill my fingers get weak and then I will switch hands or take a break,I see a little improvement every day.
Another thing that I sort of call training, I will twirl over and over again with my fingers pointed towards the ground, twirling gets harder then but when you go back to normal you will notice improvement in your dexterity.
Last edited by Uh-Oh on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep it spinning
<<

DMSHA

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:22 pm

Klockwyse wrote:I would recommend you start to learn behind the 8 ball and helix. They may seem intimidating at first but just keep at it and you'll get it. As far as "training", I just flip at home when I'm bored, I have a bali in my hand when I'm watching youtube vids, in a skype call ect. Don't get too hung on up "training regiments", just flip and have fun.

This is what I have been trying to do. I guess I chose the wrong word when I said regiment, I was thinking more of a path I guess. What to do first, how to do it, etc. I think I'm going to try and master moves one at a time and go for quality over quantity. I'm hoping to learn full twirl, and chaplins, off of the recommendation from a member of /r/knives, who said that they are good for stringing together combos (any legitimacy to this claim? I haven't looked much at combos besides random youtube videos.) And now I'm adding Bt8B and Helix as well. Thanks for the recommendations!

Uh-Oh wrote:I don't really have a routine or something for flipping, I have been flipping with my right hand for a long time and is just now gettting the left hand to flip somewhat smoothly.I mainly just work my way up to moves in my left hand, basic to twirling to the 8 ball to helix and whatever new move I may be learning. At times I try to just do one or two moves in my left hand, I do them over and over, untill my fingers get weak and then I will switch hands or take a break,I see a little improvement every day.
Another thing that I sort of call training, I will twirl over and over again with my fingers pointed towards the ground, twirling gets a harder then but when you go back to normal you will notice improvement in your dexterity.

Do you wish you had flipped more with your left hand when you were first learning? I'm thinking of trying to catch my left hand up with my right hand so that I can do multi-hand tricks later on without feeling like my left hand is handicapped.

What exactly is twirling? I'm new so some of the terms are not known to me. Is it like Basic Twirl where you flip it between your fingers?
<<

JJhamilton

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:54 pm

Hit the tutorial thread ...dont look back..alot of your questions will be answered with a little site surfing...thos random vids, as you learn moves youll be able to pick out what they are doing to link moves like chaplins etc...but you need to learn how to tell them apart so go learn the basic moves and names..slash has put together an excellent list for everyone which deserves much thanks...oh and..welcome to the jungle, gets hotter everyday. :TU:
<<

DMSHA

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:56 pm

JJhamilton wrote:Hit the tutorial thread ...dont look back..alot of your questions will be answered with a little site surfing...thos random vids, as you learn moves youll be able to pick out what they are doing to link moves like chaplins etc...but you need to learn how to tell them apart so go learn the basic moves and names..slash has put together an excellent list for everyone which deserves much thanks...oh and..welcome to the jungle, gets hotter everyday. :TU:

Thanks for the welcome! I have noticed that I can pick out a couple of moves when I watch videos now, thanks for the tips. I'll definitely go check out the list.
<<

Uh-Oh

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:08 pm

[quote="DMSHA
Do you wish you had flipped more with your left hand when you were first learning? I'm thinking of trying to catch my left hand up with my right hand so that I can do multi-hand tricks later on without feeling like my left hand is handicapped.

What exactly is twirling? I'm new so some of the terms are not known to me. Is it like Basic Twirl where you flip it between your fingers?[/quote]

Yes I do wish I had practiced more with my left. It is hard, but you will find plenty of time to flip with the left when you cut your right hand.... just did that so Im stuck with fliping with the left for a little. ;)
Keep it spinning
<<

DMSHA

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:40 pm

Uh-Oh wrote:Yes I do wish I had practiced more with my left. It is hard, but you will find plenty of time to flip with the left when you cut your right hand.... just did that so Im stuck with fliping with the left for a little. ;)

Haha. I cut my knuckle somehow so I can't twirl without he back of the blade smacking the shit out of the cut, not that I'm good at twirling anyway. XD

I'm planning on getting 'decent' on my right hand (Bt8B, Helix, chaplins, and twirling learned at least proficiently) and then getting caught up on my left hand while smoothing out the above flips on my right hand.

Return to The Art of Flipping