FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Kids Or Teens Flipping?

Moderator: slashncut

<<

BritishFlipper

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:44 am

Kids Or Teens Flipping?

Just wanted to hear some of the members opinions on younger people flipping Balisongs or Trainers
Insert Witty Remark Here [...]
<<

SonOfTheBong

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:38 am

Re: Kids Or Teens Flipping?

im all for younger peeps flipping, but they need to go about it the right way. Maturity plays a important part in flipping. for instance a 10 year old flipping while holding a cat, in no way does that do anything for balisongs theres enough negative views as is. Stuff like that is what you may find younger people doing, if your young and wanna flip just remember it is a illegal weapon it is a knife and can hurt you and can get you into trouble.
The Crystal Fiend
<<

BritishFlipper

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:56 pm

Well spoken sir
Insert Witty Remark Here [...]
<<

Malcolm Reynolds

be the malcolm

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:50 am

SonOfTheBong wrote:im all for younger peeps flipping, but they need to go about it the right way. Maturity plays a important part in flipping. for instance a 10 year old flipping while holding a cat, in no way does that do anything for balisongs theres enough negative views as is. Stuff like that is what you may find younger people doing, if your young and wanna flip just remember it is a illegal weapon it is a knife and can hurt you and can get you into trouble.

blackkat :facepalm:
rms+Image= :poop:
:pirate1: + :taco: = :taco_pirate:
<<

echoshock

Post Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:05 pm

As long as young flippers like myself do not take themselves too seriously then they are alright. Otherwise they just make us look bad.
I would rather drive to your house and beat your ass in front of your kids.- Loosey

"oOooOololoolikikikolollLOOoloOollllololol"- Nards
<<

Masharp81

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:51 pm

SonOfTheBong wrote:im all for younger peeps flipping, but they need to go about it the right way. Maturity plays a important part in flipping. for instance a 10 year old flipping while holding a cat, in no way does that do anything for balisongs theres enough negative views as is. Stuff like that is what you may find younger people doing, if your young and wanna flip just remember it is a illegal weapon it is a knife and can hurt you and can get you into trouble.

I agree with everything said.. except the illegal part for me.. :) I know they are illegal in Canada, and a lot of states, but I'm in Florida.. The gun/knife laws are fairly loose down here. Balisongs are actually legal to open carry, but I know that's not the norm.. But yeah, I think getting younger people involved, all in all, would be good for the sport. I'm 30, and just got into flipping a couple of months ago; but I wish I would have started a lot younger. I think younger people are just more apt to learning quicker as far as dexterity and muscle memory goes. I do think that anyone under, say 16, needs to be starting out with a trainer though. A large number of 12 year olds being taken to the ER with slashed-up fingers doesnt put a very positive light on the sport. Once ur old enough to join the military though, throw that trainer blade away and put a live one on that sucker! :D
<<

echoshock

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:47 pm

Masharp81 wrote:

I agree with everything said.. except the illegal part for me.. :) I know they are illegal in Canada, and a lot of states, but I'm in Florida.. The gun/knife laws are fairly loose down here. Balisongs are actually legal to open carry, but I know that's not the norm.. But yeah, I think getting younger people involved, all in all, would be good for the sport. I'm 30, and just got into flipping a couple of months ago; but I wish I would have started a lot younger. I think younger people are just more apt to learning quicker as far as dexterity and muscle memory goes. I do think that anyone under, say 16, needs to be starting out with a trainer though. A large number of 12 year olds being taken to the ER with slashed-up fingers doesnt put a very positive light on the sport. Once ur old enough to join the military though, throw that trainer blade away and put a live one on that sucker! :D

For the stuff in bold: No, I'm 15, I use live blades. However, I'm not a little bitch like I know kids can be, I deal with it when I'm cut.
For the red: That would only be a problem if their parents decided that they should find someone to sue for the cuts.
I would rather drive to your house and beat your ass in front of your kids.- Loosey

<<

Masharp81

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:11 pm

echoshock wrote:
Masharp81 wrote:

For the stuff in bold: No, I'm 15, I use live blades. However, I'm not a little bitch like I know kids can be, I deal with it when I'm cut.
For the red: That would only be a problem if their parents decided that they should find someone to sue for the cuts.

Relax dude, don't take offense.. I said START OUT with a trainer. You've been flipping for a while. Also, that was just a generalization.. Obviously, there are going to be exceptions, and I'm sure you can handle a live blade just fine. (Probably better than I can) And I doubt that parents would be able to sue anybody if they allowed their kids to flip balisongs. I'm just saying that when you have a younger kid that just cut themselves pretty badly, someone is going to ask what happened. When the parent says, "Oh, Timmy was just flipping his butterfly knife, and had a little accident," most people who know nothing about the flipping community are going to think; "Why the hell are you allowing your kid to play with sharp knives?" It just doesn't look good for the sport, especially since most people know little or nothing about balisongs anyways. If I say, "I like Balisong flipping," 95% of people are going to look at me with a puzzled look on their face. :shock: My post wasnt directed at, or meant to be a dig on you because of your age; and I certainly wasn't calling anyone a little bitch, even though I would never use a trainer. I think the sport needs younger people, as yourself, to help it grow. There are plenty of younger guys that flip better than I could ever dream of flipping, and you guys are gonna be the next level flippers of tomorrow. So don't take my post the wrong way... ya little bitch ;) j/k. I wish I would've started out when I was younger, I certainly would have picked up on things a lot quicker.
<<

echoshock

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:48 pm

Masharp81 wrote:
Relax dude, don't take offense.. I said START OUT with a trainer. You've been flipping for a while. Also, that was just a generalization.. Obviously, there are going to be exceptions, and I'm sure you can handle a live blade just fine. (Probably better than I can) And I doubt that parents would be able to sue anybody if they allowed their kids to flip balisongs. I'm just saying that when you have a younger kid that just cut themselves pretty badly, someone is going to ask what happened. When the parent says, "Oh, Timmy was just flipping his butterfly knife, and had a little accident," most people who know nothing about the flipping community are going to think; "Why the hell are you allowing your kid to play with sharp knives?" It just doesn't look good for the sport, especially since most people know little or nothing about balisongs anyways. If I say, "I like Balisong flipping," 95% of people are going to look at me with a puzzled look on their face. :shock: My post wasnt directed at, or meant to be a dig on you because of your age; and I certainly wasn't calling anyone a little bitch, even though I would never use a trainer. I think the sport needs younger people, as yourself, to help it grow. There are plenty of younger guys that flip better than I could ever dream of flipping, and you guys are gonna be the next level flippers of tomorrow. So don't take my post the wrong way... ya little bitch ;) j/k. I wish I would've started out when I was younger, I certainly would have picked up on things a lot quicker.

I didn't want you to think I was angry, sorry. I was just trying to say that as long as people accept responsibility for their (not the knife's) actions, regardless of age, we shouldn't have a problem.

For the red: obviously you underestimate the abilities of overprotective parents, hahaha. One of my old schools had parents that were ALWAYS looking for ways to sue people. They even got the school to change the type of play structures we had because they were too hard. (it was elementary school)

<<

c.wigum

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:08 am

Masharp81 wrote:I'm 30, and just got into flipping a couple of months ago; but I wish I would have started a lot younger. I think younger people are just more apt to learning quicker as far as dexterity and muscle memory goes.

Fella! when I started flipping I was about 7 years older than you are now and I have no problem keeping up with most... cause I practice.

I got about another 20 or so years of flipping ahead of me and only plan on getting better.

As for younger flippers... As long as they don't annoy me they can stay... that goes for the older guys as well.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

Masharp81

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:51 pm

echoshock wrote:I didn't want you to think I was angry, sorry. I was just trying to say that as long as people accept responsibility for their (not the knife's) actions, regardless of age, we shouldn't have a problem.

For the red: obviously you underestimate the abilities of overprotective parents, hahaha. One of my old schools had parents that were ALWAYS looking for ways to sue people. They even got the school to change the type of play structures we had because they were too hard. (it was elementary school)

No need to apologize.. It's hard to judge tone in text, but from your post I thought you were mad about my original post. So I just tried to convey what I was saying a little better. I think it's great that someone your age is really into balisongs. And I know what you mean about the sue-happy America we live in today. Though I would like to think that the onus would lie with the parents for allowing their teen to use a balisong, you're right. Everyone is so litigious, and anyone with 300 dollars can file a law suit. :evil: Man, I can't stand the pussification of America.

C. Wigum: I practice too, but not nearly as much as I'd like to. It's hard for me to practice as much as I would want to just because of work, and life in general. I know there are a lot of good flippers around mine and your age. I know you're a good flipper, and I give you props :respect: , but you don't think you would have picked it up any faster if u had started in your youth?

Return to The Art of Flipping