Wheelman185

Post Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:08 pm

:::::Upgraded BM4x Clones and MTech Twists Shop:::::

UPGRADED BM 4x Clones and MTech Twists!! :TU:

-Did you just get into flipping?
*Unsure on what to buy? :help:
*Did your Flea Market CCC fail on you? :cuss:
*Not ready to Break the Bank on Balis yet? Image

-Looking for the elusive MTech Twist or Jaguar Balisong?
*Tired of going site to site, only seeing the words "Sold Out" or "Out of Stock"? Image
*Don't want to wait for one to pop up on Craig's List, Bladeforums, or the JD? Image

- Experienced Flipper?
*Need a beater or an Every Day Flipper? :woot:
*Want to keep your EXPENSIVE knives in decent condition while working on more advanced tricks? :chux:
*Need a Trainer for Arials that has a similar feel to a 42? Image

If you answered YES! to any of the above questions you are in the right place! 8-)

:::::::MAIN UPDATES:::::::
04/10/13

I know it's been a while, but I said I'd eventually return with more and so I have. Unfortunately right now I'm only able to offer Twists. The fifteen 42 Clones I have on hand have all required extensive work, and in light of that will only be available one by one. Hopefully I can be a little more efficient in getting them done but as of now each clone is taking about 1 day + to complete.

There's a couple of new mods that I'm testing, and really want to incorporate them on this run.

I will take reservations on the 42 Clones, and reservations on Twists once I run out of either model. Yes there are now two models of Twists. It will be outlined below. You can make a reservation by Posting in the Thread and PM'ing me! I will list names according to time stamp.

By making a reservation, I do not require you to pay up front. If you wish to, I'll be happy to accept it. Just note I do this to avoid people constantly bugging me once they've paid. If you do pay ahead, please be patient and understanding.

PM me with any questions you might have, but please look for your answer in this thread before doing so.
:::::::MAIN UPDATES:::::::

Quick History Lesson: (Disclaimer for you Vets!)

What's a BM Clone?

Benchmade is one the most widely known manufactuers of production Balisongs. They used to produce a line referred to as the "4x Series." The "x" stands for a number that designates the blade style. The BM 42 is probably one of the most highly regarded production Balis that they've ever made. Due to it being discontinued now, they are highly sought after and fetch ridiculous prices, especially the rarer ones with different blade styles!

Many Companies over the years have copied the design of Benchamde's Balis, including Jaguar! Fortunately these Chinese companies across the way provide us with some great copies!

Main Differences:
-Handles are Stainless Steel instead of Titanium
-The Machining isn't as pretty or refined when just concerning the fit and finish.
-All blades are of the 440c variety instead of the 154CM variant towards the end.
-The Spring Latch is typically very loose and floppy.
-Most stock Hardware on the Clones (Pivots, Pins, and Washers) are crap.

Here's a vid SlashnCut did reviewing the Clones. (Let me know if this is not him.) The vid is informative, and can provide more info on the Clones.

What's a Twist?

The MTech Twist is regarded as one of the best and most sought after CCCs. They are great for starters, or flippers on a budget. It is extremely hard to find any quality Balis for less than $40! Anything else is usually made of crap material, that cracks and breaks after a few hard drops. The Twist will take a beating!

What do you Upgrade?

Again, these knives in general are well constructed minus a few things, I fix these things to create a complete package! :D

All of these knives' main problems are the Hardware, as mentioned above.

The Chinese pivots are poorly manufactured, and are typically warped, have many imperfections and strip extremely easy and often. The washers that accompany them suffer from similar problems, and typically have burrs on them still. Obviously these pivots and washers are made from the cheapest material possible.

-These now come with brand new USA Made Pivots and Pho-Bronze Washers. Image

-The 4x Clones will have a fixed spring latch that doesn't flop as much or at all.

-The Twists come with an O-Ring near the latch to act as a latch gate preventing it from contacting the blade.

-I will Loctite (Thread lock) all screws, and will do the pivot screws upon request since some might want to adjust them to their own preferences before setting them. I normally use Loctite 242 Blue but have just made the recent change to Loctite 243.

-I now typically Sand the gaps of the the handles on all Clones and most of the Twists to complement the PB washers and reduce friction. This is explained further in the next section. I start with 120 grit and work my way up to 600 grit.

Disclaimer/Info on Further Mods:

US Companies like Benchmade, etc. have standards and strict specifications on their part sizes, gaps, etc. to a detailed degree. Unfortunately the Clones do not, so I do my best to provide you guys with the best consistancy I can.

Due to the inconsistancies in the all the Chinese made handles and such, I have to put extra time into the Clones more often than not. There seems to be two versions of Clone handles. There's the Newer One that is very easy to work with, and that I rarely have to mess with. There's also the Older One that so far has had different size pivot countersinks, smaller gaps where the blade fits and different size pivot pins. The Older Ones so far have been a pain to fix, but I've made it work. See Below.....

Current Mod Update: (04/10/13)

I have since found out that each version has their pros and cons. From the looks of it they are improving their design and manufacturing. 13/15 of the 42 clones that I'm working on in this run have been light years better than past ones out of the box. I don't think there's a "better" version, just one that's easier for me to modify.

The current batch is going to be of the "Old" version.

The Models available right now ARE:

:::::::COMING SOON::::::::
:::::::COMING SOON::::::::
See Main Update Box!

Currently FOR SALE I have:

Twist (Gunmetal) x 7 @ $35
Twist (Etched) x 2 @ $35

Payment/Discounts Info:

-The above prices include Paypal fees and Shipping
-My preferred method of payment is Paypal. Post in this Thread and PM me if you wish to purchase one!
-Any other method must be discussed with me via PM!
-Order 2 or more Knives I'll take $5 off of your order!
-Orders over $100 will get a Quantity Discount, PM me for more info!

Requests:

-I will order more of any model in respect to current demand. PM me if you want to suggest one! I will keep a tally of what people request and do my best to make things happen.

-Current Availability includes: 41, 42s, 42BK, 43, 46, 47, 49, 40T

-I'm working on getting the 40T's back and possibly even Twist Trainers.

-My Future project considerations will include "The Tank" , and possibly Linton Scorpios.

Other Info:

Why should I buy one of your Balis?

I know some of you want something reasonably priced, flips good, and solid enough construction to not break on you. After upgrading them, I have a Kimmie (Kimura 3), a BM32 Morpho, a BM42, and a BRS Alpha Beast to compare them to. They all flip as well if not better than the Kimmie in some regard. (Of course nothing is better than the AB in my personal experience! Just had to throw that in there! :D)In other words, these flip very well and with the new hardware are pretty durable, and shouldn't strip!

Some will go about with their "Polishing Turds" analogy, but trust me they're worth it! One of these can be your EDF (Every Day Flipper)! Do you want to scuff up and damage your $200-$400+ investments?

To some of you expert flippers, it might not matter. To aspiring pro flippers (like me), I would have beat the hell out of some of my nicer Bali's learning advanced tricks and combos. I know some of you don't like flipping over beds and sofas all the time! I know down the road I want the option to resell my knives for decent value. I'm a collector but I like using my collection too.

Also, Arials are hard to do, especially considering momentum+blade does not get along with flesh! 40Ts don't look like they pop up too often. You might want a trainer with similar feel and shape, weight will be different vs their legit Ti counterparts though.

Things to Keep in Mind:

In addition to being a lover of knives, and everything Balisong, I am a very busy man! I work full time as a Server/Bartender, and am a full time Electrical Engineering student. Ontop of also being an avid sports fan, I have limited time to spend some weeks doing anything but school, and work.

If at times, I don't respond as promtly as I usually do, don't take it as an insult or me blowing you off. I like to be as professional as possible and communicate the best I can, but time is always an issue not including any other snags I pick up along the way.

Pay attention to the update log below, and please subscribe to this thread if you wish to stay updated!

I really appreciate all patience with me, and will do my absolute best to make things happen!

Reserve List: (Updated 04/10/13)

42:
Zohninja
evilarmadillo
BHP
flipmag
psycod@d
Riptide161
JimmyFrostedFlakes

Twist (Gunmetal):

Twist (Etched):

Update Log:

09/19/2012

I know it's been a while since the last update for those of you paying attention. I have all the knives and parts in, minus the spring replacements. The spring company I am in contact with is working on them and hopefully they will finished in enough time for most of you to not lose interest! :mrgreen:

This of course does not effect the Twists at all! The Twists are excellent flippers out of the box, and even better after the upgrades. If anyone wants the any of the BM4X Clones without the spring replacement, I will ship the replacement spring to you at no extra cost later so you can have a flipper now!

I know I jumped the gun and PM'ed a good handful of you making all kinds of promises, but mistakes can happen! Thanks for being Patient!

08/02/2012

Since this round has taken at least a week longer to come in, I contacted the seller, and it looks like US Customs decided to ruin everyones fun and send it back. They said they'll ship it again, (more shipping costs :roll:), so hopefully it's not too much longer. I'll keep everyone posted! Thanks for being patient!
Last edited by Wheelman185 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 29 times in total.
-Wheel

Just started flipping? Hard to find decent Balis in the $30-$60 range? The Search Ends Here!

Don't hold out for a BM42! Take that $400+ you are planning on spending and go get in line for an Alpha Beast! You won't be disaponted!
<<

senseicharles

Post Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:06 pm

Re: Upgraded BM4x Clones and Twists......

I love Balis so I'm interested in new things and ideas all the time. I am modifying a Kimura 5 atm myself. Maybe you can fix it up with a spring latch? Look forward to seeing what you have.
<<

c.wigum

Post Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:10 am

How much?
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

Wheelman185

Post Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:11 pm

c.wigum wrote:How much?

Once the pivots and washers come in, (they are due in Saturday). I can have any of the current ones I have shipped by Monday (Jun 2nd) if need be.

I can sell these, I currently have on hand for:

43 x2 - $60 (each)
40t - $50
Twist - $30

All come with a Box and a Sheath.

One of the 43s Latch doesn't latch very well anymore, and I think it's because I took the spring out and cut 3 coils off and reshaped it to make it tighter and not flop around. I think I overdid it, it might be too tight. I'm prob going to reshape it to maybe fix it. I'm currently talking to a custom spring company and going to try to get springs of a higher quality with the right dimensions to fix the floppy spring latch problem. Edit: Fixed!!

I'm in the process of getting more in........just takes a while :)

Let me know!! PM or post with any questions!
Last edited by Wheelman185 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Wheel

Just started flipping? Hard to find decent Balis in the $30-$60 range? The Search Ends Here!

Don't hold out for a BM42! Take that $400+ you are planning on spending and go get in line for an Alpha Beast! You won't be disaponted!
<<

randomeguy

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:38 am

A 47 or a 42 would be pretty cool. How do they flip once they've been modded? And any idea on how much a 47 would cost? Thanks!
<<

Wheelman185

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:53 am

randomeguy wrote:A 47 or a 42 would be pretty cool. How do they flip once they've been modded? And any idea on how much a 47 would cost? Thanks!

47s and 42s will probably be ordered on the next run. Waiting on better hardware in the mail to see that for myself. They flip pretty decent already. The 40t actually flipped the best out of the box! :lol:
-Wheel

<<

Beaver

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:11 pm

I would definitely be interested in 2, possibly 3 of these!
Which 1's, if any, are presently available?

Thanks for your time.
<<

Malcolm Reynolds

be the malcolm

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:56 pm

how long do you think they will last
rms+Image= :poop:
:pirate1: + :taco: = :taco_pirate:
<<

Wheelman185

Post Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:57 am

Beaver wrote:I would definitely be interested in 2, possibly 3 of these!
Which 1's, if any, are presently available?

Thanks for your time.

I have 2 43s, 1 40, and a Twist available. I'm about to order more knives so if there's any specific requests let me know, so I can make things happen!

ilovebalisongs wrote:how long do you think they will last

The ones I have on hand, depends on how bad everyone wants them. As far as the bigger picture, I hope to make it last as long as there is a demand. You guys need decent affordable balis while you save up for a 42/51/62? I will do my best to make it happen.

Again, I'm about to order more! If this is somewhat successful I might even be able to get a hold of some BM 49 clones as well!
-Wheel

<<

Andy_reyes

Post Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:06 pm

I am interested! :D
<<

Wheelman185

Post Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:56 am

Just got done upgrading one of the 43 clones. I flipped it for a few minutes already and can feel the difference between US hardware and the CCC Hardware definitely. The only comparison I have to a true Benchmade is against my 32.

Buy one and please tell me about it. I'll eventually prob revamp the original first post and post up new/better pics with more info. It can be sooner than later if requested enough.

I am going to place another order within a few days and want to know any requests as far as blade style. I may or may not snag very many if any of some specific ones. I was planning on picking up mostly 42s and twists.

Anyone know if the JD forums will let me sell upgraded clones there? Their rules state no fakes, but I didn't know if that just meant selling fakes as a real one.
Last edited by Wheelman185 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Wheel

<<

Dyslexic

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:37 pm

I would love a 47 knockoff. If that could happen. As for JD, I'm pretty sure they won't allow it. They have a very strict rule about selling copies. But, they may allow you to sell fakes if you say they're fakes and not try to pawn them off as the real thing. Also, what size pivots and washers do you use to upgrade them with?
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night. May becom a wolf, when the wolfbane blooms and the Autumn moon is bright"
<<

Wheelman185

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:56 pm

Dyslexic wrote:I would love a 47 knockoff. If that could happen. As for JD, I'm pretty sure they won't allow it. They have a very strict rule about selling copies. But, they may allow you to sell fakes if you say they're fakes and not try to pawn them off as the real thing. Also, what size pivots and washers do you use to upgrade them with?

They take the same ones as the twists. 5/32 size, I use the Pivots off of knifekits.com, as well as the PB washers.
-Wheel

<<

KaOsBlAkBlAdE

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:10 am

i'd be in for a 42 fer sher
<<

Wheelman185

Post Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: FS: Upgraded BM4x Clones and MTech Twists......

Thread updated! Check it out!
-Wheel

Next

Return to Want To Sell & Trade