FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Cleaning and installing PB washers in your BM 4x Series

Moderator: T-man

<<

FkeSpydrFly

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:59 pm

Re: Cleaning and installing PB washers in your BM 4x Series

white_star_32 wrote:I actually used this when I had some free time during the Christmas holidays. Referenced this thread and the one at BF. And I LOVE the PB washers

Glad to hear that man,
ill post the thread on the other forums when i have time.
fke
<<

Erenoth

Post Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:52 pm

So after fooling with my 440c BM42 for upwards of six hours today, and trying out nearly every combination of washer polish level/thickness/tightness using those .330 OD X .197 ID X .O15 washers, I'm not entirely sure it was worth the effort over the stock stainless washers. I'm new to flipping, so perhaps I didn't follow everything perfectly, but the handle/blade play results were mediocre at best in comparison to stock. I also noticed that although I perfectly aligned everything into the handles while reassembling, the washers appear much smaller in circumference than most photos I've seen of other user's knives.

The first hour or so I was reconfiguring the knife I had spent putting a shiny mirror polish on both sides of every washer, without taking off too much metal. It was a hassle to fit everything back and reinsert the pivots, but there was zero play. The drawback to this, however, was that regardless of how meticulously I cleaned out the parts, the pivot action was incredibly slow. When I attempted to do a basic fastdraw, the blade would usually lock up mid-air. Albeit, I didn't militec treat the pivots, and still haven't, because I'm waiting for the 242 to cure inside it. Is this normal behavior? I've noticed many people have said that with a "perfect fit", the action will be slow, but I wasn't expecting the knife to be unflippable.

On a sidenote- I've yet to contact Benchmade regarding it, but does anyone know if they still sell 40x parts? Specifically, I'd like to replace the pivot and blade altogether. The fellow I bought it from blunted the edge quite a bit, and from the looks of it, had a couple coats of old crusty red loctite on the screw threads. My slow action is probably a side effect of this.

Many thanks in advance!
<<

FkeSpydrFly

Post Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:57 pm

Thats strange man, did you press fit the pins back in when you were done?
also one time i didnt like the washers up right and it broke one of them thats the only thing i can think of.
fke
<<

Erenoth

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:17 am

Yeah, I press fit them back in an even tried different tightness levels before screwing them in. Might try stuffing two washers in there for a perfect fit, then applying a few coats of militec to see if it solves anything.
<<

Raikov

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:23 am

Erenoth wrote:Yeah, I press fit them back in an even tried different tightness levels before screwing them in. Might try stuffing two washers in there for a perfect fit, then applying a few coats of militec to see if it solves anything.

Militec helps solve most of my bali stickiness problems. Or any lube in general. Even Fke's anal lube. :lol:
You Play Sc2? Pm me. We'll get in touch :D

The world is our's to conquer, ripe for the taking. The beginning to the end of all. Victory will be sweet; Vengeance will be savored. The time for our reign is now.
<<

droopdog666

Keeps Eyeballing Yer Sister...

Post Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:30 am

holy fuck.....i missed this. so the messi-cant finally figured out how to take a 42 apart :lol:
congrats!
Third Place - FATOC '09
Third place - FATOC '10

"vids or GTFO" since 2008.
<<

FkeSpydrFly

Post Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:17 pm

Ayeee
fke
<<

Erenoth

Post Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:58 pm

Ahem. I'm aware of how to dismantle the knife, and did so repeatedly testing different thickness washers. It's not at all difficult to disassemble. My only concern, once again, is that two .015 thickness washers, regardless of how well they were polished, fit too snugly in the handles to the point of which it wouldn't open single-handedly. It was this slow before even screwing the pivot together.

In other news, I've heat treated two layers of militec-1 thus far, and the action is the fastest I've seen it to date. I'm going to retry the thick (read: slow) washer configuration with a few coats of m-1 to see if I can end up with zero handle play along with lightning action.
<<

FkeSpydrFly

Post Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:09 pm

Try filing down the washers
fke
<<

Erenoth

Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:41 pm

FkeSpydrFly wrote:Try filing down the washers

Been there, done that, many times. I'm to the point where I'm wondering if there's some difference in the handles of the 440 model in comparison to the 154cm. Haven't heard of many others with similar issues, and most-everyone who's praising their PB 42 has the '08 model.
<<

MMartie

Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:50 am

When assembled, use a feeler gauge and I try to leave a thou or two max (.001"-.002") and let the screw take up the slack so it's not too loose, I like zero blade play and a little bit of friction for my style. I use a micrometer on all my washers and after polishing and sanding the hell out of them and thinking you removed a bunch of metal, turns out I didn't, take more off my fingertips.
[size=85]ImageImageImage
WTB
BALIBALISTIC
(LUM Style Tanto)
Basilisk - Marlowe - Dobruski
BM 43-401
BM 47
(Intro & 154cm)
BM 41 - BM 43 - BM 45 - BM 48
Balisongs #'d
13 & 310
[/size]
<<

Erenoth

Post Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:19 am

MMartie wrote:When assembled, use a feeler gauge and I try to leave a thou or two max (.001"-.002") and let the screw take up the slack so it's not too loose, I like zero blade play and a little bit of friction for my style. I use a micrometer on all my washers and after polishing and sanding the hell out of them and thinking you removed a bunch of metal, turns out I didn't, take more off my fingertips.

Finally a worthwhile post. I've went off sight/intuition thus far, and it hasn't got me anywhere. I'll head to Lowe's to find something tonight.

On an off note- I'm going to be sending my 42 in to Benchmade shortly (refit with stainless washers, of course) to have the blade replaced. Does anyone know if they'll upgrade the washers to pb themselves?
<<

FkeSpydrFly

Post Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:04 am

Never thought to ask, I've never had problems with mine.
I dont see why they couldnt since the 51 has PBs
fke
<<

FkeSpydrFly

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:16 pm

Ok guys i just re-did my washers and i press fit the pins in too far and the handles wouldnt move, this is the first time ive done that.
All i did was set it up to take the pivots out but just tighten it a little to back the pivot out a little bit, worked fine.
fke
<<

Nardath

Post Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:38 am

Is there any other cleaner i could Use?
ImageImage
Third at FATOC 11'
Looseyfur wrote:the lord satan invents all tricks then he gives them to top flippers in the form of superpowers to be manifiest into reality from the nightmare realm.
PreviousNext

Return to Maintenance