FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Replacement pivot pins

Moderator: T-man

<<

dre4dwolf

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:12 pm

Replacement pivot pins

Looking for new pivot pins for a Spyderfly like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZzDN300Lhs

Im not sure what size I need or which ones will fit, anyone have a clue? I flip quite often now, and after loosening and tightening hundreds of times, the screws are starting to lose their grip... and they are getting very hard to keep maintained.

I think im going to try and get 5mm D-Style pivot assembly http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_i ... ts_id=1642

Im just not sure if they will fit smoothly....

Original (sry for shit picture)

and honestly the pivots are fine for the most part, its just the screws that are getting stripped.... would be great if I could just pickup a bag of screws come to think about it....
<<

c.wigum

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Replacement pivot pins

Are you sure that the screws are the problem?

Spyderfly's and Smallfly's come with loctite on the screws from factory. If they are starting to come loose, it sounds like you need to re-loctite the screws. I'd be surprised if they are stripped as the hardware is pretty good.... unless you have really cranked the screws in or cross threaded them at some stage.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

dre4dwolf

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:01 pm

c.wigum wrote:Are you sure that the screws are the problem?

Spyderfly's and Smallfly's come with loctite on the screws from factory. If they are starting to come loose, it sounds like you need to re-loctite the screws. I'd be surprised if they are stripped as the hardware is pretty good.... unless you have really cranked the screws in or cross threaded them at some stage.

I have had this knife for a while now, and I just wore out the threads from tightening over and over.

I have contacted Spyderco, asking for some SmallFly pivots and gona hope they fit.

The screws hold, but only for about 3 - 4 days of flipping, If I drop the blade just once, I have to re-locktight them etc... I just wana start fresh, new pivots, new screws, new locktight.
<<

c.wigum

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:53 pm

I'd be surprised if Spyderco can help as both Spyderfly and Smallfly have been discontinued for some time.

I doubt that they will have parts for them.

The reason they don't make them anymore is because they got hit with a huge fine for having parts made out of the U.S as it is illegal to import.
<<

dre4dwolf

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:31 pm

Nice spyderco said they will send me a set of pivots for freebees.

;) they really are the best freaking company , wish they would make more Balisongs.... freaking annoying laws that kill businesses.... gota buy another knife from them soon to show my support...
<<

c.wigum

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:41 pm

Niiice... and I'm surprised :lol:
<<

dre4dwolf

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:48 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uGWbQOGfuM

I got bored, sadly i am a little 2 drunk atm to do much -_- I really should get a nice camera and upload some stuff, i got a pretty unique style when it comes to flipping (well I think its unique)...

cant wait till the new pivots come, its gona be so smooth and new feeling.

Return to Maintenance