FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Kimura bushings?

Moderator: T-man

<<

Helix

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:00 pm

Kimura bushings?

I was wondering if anyone has taken apart their Kimura or if anyone knows if the Kimuras have bushings. I haven't taken mine apart, nor have I been able to find any info stating that it has bushings, so I assume it does not.

The thing is though; if it doesn't have bushings, how the hell is it so damn smooth with absolutely no handle play? I have quite a few balis and the only other ones that have that little play and are that smooth have bushings.

I am hesitant to dissect mine, because I would hate to eph up what is right now calibrated to the "sweet spot" for flipping. Bushings? Magic? What is it?
Anybody have confirmation on this either way?
Last edited by Helix on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaclack clack! Image
<<

c.wigum

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: Kimura bushings?

As far as I'm aware it's magic.

The "little people" (pixie's) put them together with a liberal sprinkling of fairy dust, that is why they are so smooth.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

Helix

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:50 pm

c.wigum wrote:As far as I'm aware it's magic.

The "little people" (pixie's) put them together with a liberal sprinkling of fairy dust, that is why they are so smooth.

I knew it! I wonder if I could catch one of those little buggers somehow and force it to sprinkle a bit on some of my other knives.
Shaclack clack! Image
<<

Hephaestus

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:51 pm

When I took mine apart I found washers, looked like brass or copper when I cleaned them off (I'm no expert on metals). On each handle there were two parts to the screw assembly, the silver one with a flat head had a cylinder with threads inside that extended all the way through the blade to the other handle. The actual torx screws went into that. Not sure if that screw assembly has anything to do with the handleplay to bladeplay ratio, I was under the impression that type of screw setup was par for the course with balis.
<<

Helix

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:06 pm

Hmm, doesn't sound like bushings. Just sounds like regular chicago screws (par for the course as you say). If it had bushings it would have an extra non-threaded cylinder around the pivot pin assembly. Btw I believe the washers are phosphorous bronze.

Out of curiosity, when you took yours apart, did it seem like the screws had some sort of thread locking solution/loctite on them from the factory?
Shaclack clack! Image
<<

Silent Jay

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:07 pm

Helix wrote:Hmm, doesn't sound like bushings. Just sounds like regular chicago screws (par for the course as you say). If it had bushings it would have an extra non-threaded cylinder around the pivot pin assembly. Btw I believe the washers are phosphorous bronze.

Out of curiosity, when you took yours apart, did it seem like the screws had some sort of thread locking solution/loctite on them from the factory?

No, the Kimuras don't have bushings in them (found out when had to take mine apart), and yes, the do have a loctite in them. It's easy enough to remove the screws if you need to, but I've never had them loosen up on me past that
Image jay
Looseyfur wrote:...spouting his wacky charlie sheen warlocks speech

15 of ?
It's just how we /roll

<<

Helix

Post Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:02 pm

Thanks for the info Jay! just what I wanted to know. :TU:
Shaclack clack! Image
<<

Dragunov-21

Post Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:12 pm

Phosphor-bronze washers, no bushings.
<<

cja245

Post Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:49 pm

Silent Jay wrote:and yes, the do have a loctite in them. It's easy enough to remove the screws if you need to, but I've never had them loosen up on me past that

They also have the nylon patch thingers on the screw treads. And they work pretty damn good. The screws will still loosen a touch over time, but nothing worth complaining about. I have been running my K3 and K2 with no loctite since i got them and have had no problems so far.
"I wanna stab someone in the mouth and tell em to "Taste the Rainbow" -MoreBeef

6th Place - FAToC '10
http://www.youtube.com/user/cja245
<<

Dragunov-21

Post Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:12 pm

Hey CJ, mine seems to be missing those - when I took it apart for cleaning there wasn't anything visible on the screws, and my safe handle is constantly loosening despite loktiting =/

What do they actually look like?
<<

McAhron

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:19 am

Only the K2-5 have the new pivot screws.

Return to Maintenance