FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Mtech Twist Latch

Moderator: T-man

<<

theyreafterme

Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:54 pm

Mtech Twist Latch

I got my first balisong today. It's the Mtech twist. I was loctiting the screws and couldn't get the latch screw out. I loosened it a bit and tried to tighten it back up again figuring it wasn't that important. My latch is kind of loose now. I can't remember if it was this loose when i got it. Is the latch on the twist just always loose?
<<

bigmcluvn

Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:00 pm

Re: Mtech Twist Latch

Make sure to tighten it up lots, mine came out fast and I lost it. :(
"Never Knows Best"
<<

theyreafterme

Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:03 pm

bigmcluvn wrote:Make sure to tighten it up lots, mine came out fast and I lost it. :(

The problem is I've tried everything and that latch will not get any tighter. So I figure if i can't get it in or out then any natural act shouldn't be able to either. It isn't a problem to have it loose when flipping thought is it? I do plan on doing the o ring latch gate.
<<

bigmcluvn

Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:13 pm

That's strange because mine came out fairly quick. A couple days of flipping it and I lost the screw to my abyss of a carpet. If it's not coming out I wouldn't worry about it too much, just be careful when flipping and keep a close eye on it.
"Never Knows Best"
<<

theyreafterme

Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:15 pm

bigmcluvn wrote:That's strange because mine came out fairly quick. A couple days of flipping it and I lost the screw to my abyss of a carpet. If it's not coming out I wouldn't worry about it too much, just be careful when flipping and keep a close eye on it.

Alright thanks. I doubt it would be able to come out because with a ridiculous amount of prressure and a torx driver I was unable to take it out.
<<

bigmcluvn

Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:18 pm

It seem like yours was built better than mine was, the screw for my latch came right out. But after a week or two of beating it to hell (I have brick floors in most of my house) the blade actually cracked and broke off. So in the end it didn't really matter if I had a latch or not... :oops:
"Never Knows Best"
<<

theyreafterme

Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:29 pm

bigmcluvn wrote:It seem like yours was built better than mine was, the screw for my latch came right out. But after a week or two of beating it to hell (I have brick floors in most of my house) the blade actually cracked and broke off. So in the end it didn't really matter if I had a latch or not... :oops:

That sucks. I haven't flipped mine yet because i just got it and loctited it today. I can't wait for tomorrow.My first day flipping a real bali. Hopefully mine holds up longer than yours did.
<<

bigmcluvn

Post Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:48 am

Oh trust me, you'll be fine. It is a really strong knife for the price, I just beat the hell out of it and dropped it on the brick floor a hundred times. :oops:
"Never Knows Best"
<<

theyreafterme

Post Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:51 am

bigmcluvn wrote:Oh trust me, you'll be fine. It is a really strong knife for the price, I just beat the hell out of it and dropped it on the brick floor a hundred times. :oops:

Haha nice. Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm just nervous I'm going to break it before I even get the chance to learn anything good.
<<

bigmcluvn

Post Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:27 am

Naw, I wouldn't worry about it unless you're throwing it at the floor or something. It's a very sturdy knife. :TU:
"Never Knows Best"
<<

bob_j

Post Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:56 pm

my mtech twist (rainbow) completely fell apart after a few weeks. even lock tite would not last on it...screws became stripped. only thing that worked was gorilla glue. i soaked the torx screws in acetone (nail polish remover) scrubbed it with a brush to get rid of any old loc tite then i applied a TINY amount like i would lock tite and eyeballed the tightness and it works really well now. gorilla glue expands as it dries a bit just so you know. i would use loc tite over gg any day but this was my last resort.
<<

bigmcluvn

Post Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:25 pm

I guess it kind of depends, I've heard different things from different people. Sometimes Loctite will do the job perfectly while other times it won't work at all.
"Never Knows Best"
<<

taylob15

'flipping beast'

Post Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:01 pm

on my mtech it didnt work first try and about 5 tries after then my gpa fixed it and it worked fine now lets see if it works on my friends
feenxfire wrote:now you know my power i will prove it no further

TSCKBTA
<<

Mazurka

Post Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:38 am

Hi,

The problem is I've tried everything and that latch will not get any tighter. So I figure if i can't get it in or out then any natural act shouldn't be able to either. It isn't a problem to have it loose when flipping thought is it? I do plan on doing the o ring latch gate.

Same here. Here's what I did to my Twist. It's not perfect but an improvement:
2, O-rings on the latch to make a latch gate. I took another piece of an O-ring and stuffed it in the hole to prevent the O-rings from sliding down the latch:

...and to keep them in position for opening and closing:

Still, after tightening and adding these O-rings, there was too much play and rattle. So I carved out a couple of gaskets out of some Mylar shim stock (see above pic); about .007 - .010" depending on the knife (wish I had a little thicker on mine actually). I placed these around the latch pin on both sides. This helped a lot with the loose feeling and "rattle".

Cheers!

Return to Maintenance