FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Help with Kimura III

Moderator: T-man

<<

Daniel

Post Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:32 pm

Help with Kimura III

Hello everybody,

I've had my Kimura III for 4 months now, flipping every now and then but almost all the time is just inside my bag as an EDC. I clean it with WD-40 and do a little maintenance every 2 or 3 weeks to remove those pesky micro-dots of rust in the handles and the 13C26 blade.

Tonight I was doing the monthly maintenance when suddenly the bite handle became tight out of nowhere and won't move freely anymore. Not even basic horizontal can be performed with ease because the blade is kind of moving with the bite handle everytime. I'm guessing some residual paper towel got stuck in the pivots. It's very strange because it has never happened before and I was cleaning it very carefully.

Has this happened to any of you before? How can I get it to move again without removing any parts (don't want to break the original loctite!). I really can't imagine what the problem is. I can open the knife and stuff but can't flip properly anymore.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Daniel on Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blocking a knife is easy... Blocking my knife is impossible.
<<

GetTheFood11

Post Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:57 pm

Re: Help with Kimura III

Daniel wrote:Hello everybody,

I've had my Kimura III for 4 months now, flipping every now and then but almost all the time is just inside my bag as an EDC. I clean it with WD-40 and do a little maintenance every 2 or 3 weeks to remove those pesky micro-dots of rust in the handles and the 13C26 blade.

Tonight I was doing the monthly maintenance when suddenly the bite handle became tight out of nowhere and won't move freely anymore. Not even basic horizontal can be performed with ease because the blade is kind of moving with the bite handle everytime. I'm guessing some residual paper towel got stuck in the pivots and/or bushings. It's very strange because it has never happened before and I was cleaning it very carefully.

Has this happened to any of you before? How can I get it to move again without removing any parts (don't want to break the original loctite!). I really can't imagine what the problem is. I can open the knife and stuff but can't flip properly anymore.

Thanks in advance!

Bushings? I doubt your Kimura has bushings. Anyway, how much loctite did you put in? If you put too much, that could be the problem.
Last edited by GetTheFood11 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Daniel

Post Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:05 pm

Oops, sorry, no bushings, my bad.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't put any loctite myself. As far as I know, Kimuras come loctited from the factory and haven't removed it since purchase. All this time the bite handle was slightly tighter than the safe one, but after tonight's cleaning it became mega-tight.

Has this happened to you before?
<<

GetTheFood11

Post Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:30 pm

Well, they do NOT actually come loctited from the factory so the screw could have just tightened from not being held in place. So you should probably loosen the screw with a torx driver. I believe the pivot screws use a T7 size bit. You may want to buy some loctite and take the screw out and loctite it yourself. There are several tutorials on youtube of how to do it.
<<

HonorHer

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:26 am

GetTheFood11 wrote:Well, they do NOT actually come loctited from the factory so the screw could have just tightened from not being held in place. So you should probably loosen the screw with a torx driver. I believe the pivot screws use a T7 size bit. You may want to buy some loctite and take the screw out and loctite it yourself. There are several tutorials on youtube of how to do it.

T6
"How many human eyes . . . had snatched glimpses of their secret anatomies, down the passages of years?"

Clive Barker
"Books of Blood" FIRE643
<<

Daniel

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:43 pm

Thank you very much for your help. I will try and fix it myself with your suggestions.

Have a nice day.
<<

Silent Jay

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:48 pm

The Kimuras do come with a type of thread locker in the screws already. And you're gonna need a T8 torx bit to adjust the pivots.

I've had to disassemble mine before, which was the only issue I had with the safe handle being too tight. I just loosened it up just a bit, and it's been perfectly fine ever since.
Image jay
Looseyfur wrote:...spouting his wacky charlie sheen warlocks speech

15 of ?
It's just how we /roll

<<

Luke oX

Post Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:49 pm

Kimura II bite handle is stiff....

I got my Kimura II Saturday and just realized a few minutes ago that my bite handle is really stiff. If I hold the blade and put both handles in the air, the safe handle drops, but bite handle stays there, or comes slowly down. How can I fix this? :(

slashncut wrote:It's better to have flipped and lost than to have never flipped at all.
<<

AssassinFlonne

The Moistening

Post Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:51 pm

Re: Kimura II bite handle is stiff....

FLIP IT, IT'S NEW
<<

Luke oX

Post Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:52 pm

I didn't have this problem till today. I heard also this was a common problem with Kimuras.

slashncut wrote:It's better to have flipped and lost than to have never flipped at all.
<<

AssassinFlonne

The Moistening

Post Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:55 pm

Luke oX wrote:I heard also this was a common problem with Kimuras.

In that case, advice exists. Search for it.
<<

GetTheFood11

Post Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:59 pm

Uhh loosen the pivot screw with a T8 torxdriver.
<<

penguinpanda0

Post Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:05 pm

For me it was the safe handle that was stiff. It'll loosen up with use.
<<

Luke oX

Post Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:27 pm

<<

Silent Jay

Post Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:31 pm

Your best bet would be to loosen the screw until it can swing freely.

But if you lack Torx drivers, get them. But til then you can always try just working the bite handle until it loosens up.
Image jay
Looseyfur wrote:...spouting his wacky charlie sheen warlocks speech

15 of ?
It's just how we /roll

Next

Return to Maintenance