FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Official Loctite Thread

Moderator: T-man

<<

droopdog666

Keeps Eyeballing Yer Sister...

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:29 pm

Re: "Best" Loctite?

it doesnt like to hold up for more than 5-10 minutes of flipping. that pisses me off, cuz it kills me to wait 24 hours without flipping as it is.....lol
the henkel brand 242 seems to work a lot better. but im thinking of trying green, just on my 40TR, as it doesnt like to hold a tune very well. the 242 works perfect on my 47 and my tsunami so far. dont for get to lube it with some militec. if done properly, you will notice a big difference in the smoothness of your bali.
Third Place - FATOC '09
Third place - FATOC '10

"vids or GTFO" since 2008.
<<

grumpy

Post Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:00 am

Thanks. That explains some then. I have the Permatex and when I tried it it didn't hold for shit. I even cleaned the screws and pivots. So I went to trying the red Loc-Tite brand on a cheapie and an old BM to see how it was b4 I do the rest of what I have. Pretty good so far., but I'll try to get the blue Loc-Tite because I rather not have such a permanent adhesive just in case the worst happens like not being able to move the handle. Don't laugh it happened on the first 42 I tried. What a dumb shit. Thank goodness it was beaten to shit. It was even the victim to annodizing with a blow torch. Again not good. So thanks for giving me a clue Droopy. Jose
<<

droopdog666

Post Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:35 am

no problem. and try to stay away from the red. bad news. and if you want to annodize ill be doing a write up on it using batteries shortly.
Third Place - FATOC '09
Third place - FATOC '10

<<

Milc

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:33 am

Loctiting Pivot Screws

I'm going to loctite the pivot screws on my BM42 and was wondering where the key locations to apply loctite to is. I found this photo on ballisongcolector.com
So I am assuming you loctite the middle? Or is it better to do the whole screw? Also does anyone know what size bit I need to get to unscrew the screws? I know its not a 10, so its either an 8 or 6.
-Milc
Knives: BM42, M-Tech Twist
<<

slashncut

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:44 am

Re: Loctiting Pivot Screws

it's an 8
I just put a drop in the middle, it spreads out a bit tho
FATOC 2009 first place
FATOC 2010 first place
FATOC 2011 first place(shared)
<<

Milc

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:17 pm

thanks for the info. Had to go to home depot to get a size 8 haha. Cheaper than the benchmade one tho so all good haha
-Milc
<<

GreG

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:15 pm

slashncut wrote:it's an 8

Too late, i've just loose it, my 42 and my 47....not easy to found new pivot
<<

Milc

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:28 pm

GreG wrote:

GRAMMAR POLICE!

Too late, I've already loosened it. my 42 and 47... it's not easy to find new pivot screws. :pirate_whip:
-Milc
<<

GreG

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:36 pm

Milc wrote:GRAMMAR POLICE!

Too late, I've already loosened it. my 42 and 47... it's not easy to find new pivot screws. :pirate_whip:

Sorry I use a translator and I am bad in English, my excuses and thank you for your understanding :blush:
I shall try to make better, but French is already hard for me :lol:
<<

casper21331

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:05 pm

Milc wrote:
GreG wrote:

GRAMMAR POLICE!

nice of u to translate, but be a little more sensitive to foriengers. it can be rly hard. not saying u shudnt try to help, but the abruptness is not needed. thnx :TU:

Knives and rock n' roll, all you ever need.
<<

droopdog666

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:29 pm

Milc wrote:
GreG wrote:

GRAMMAR POLICE!

we have the grammar policing handled. remember we are trying to invite more people over from Francebalisong, not scare off the few that do come here. the whole reason that we (the mod and admin team) police the grammar and spelling issues that come up on a regular basis, is for the benefit of exactly these people. please take it easy on them from now on.
Third Place - FATOC '09
Third place - FATOC '10

<<

Milc

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:02 pm

lol yea its not to be offensive. (Hence no gg noob you fail at spelling etc) I wish I had someone to help me with my German. My grammar sucks
-Milc
<<

Vincent_Dark

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:03 pm

regarding loctiting, if you are new or have never used a thread locker before....do make sure you use loctite blue 242.
I used "permatex" brand thread locker when i first got my 42 and the shit sucked....would only last a couple days.

Once i got the actual loctite brand, i havn't needed to tighten my screws for quite awhile now. Which leads me to a question, for you guys who have doing this for years now. How long does your loctite usually last? I gone about 3 weeks now without having to re-tighten and was just wondering what is the usual amount of time that it lasts.

Also for people who are loctiting for the first time, When i first did it, i did have some troubles...so here are some tips that might help you.
when first applying this, remember that you don't need alot...a very tiny drop is all you need. My first time, i used way too much and after 24hrs, my knife was completely fucked...the handles wouldn't even move at all. had to force them open and work the handles back and forth for 20 minutes to loosen it up and then start all over again and go another 24 hrs without flipping.
So i think it's better to use too little than too much when starting out until you find that perfect amount.

wait the full 24hrs. it really makes no sense to loctite it and then start flipping it before it has had to to cure, it defeats the whole purpose of doing it in the first place.

and make sure you don't cross-thread the screws. when putting the screws back in, if you feel any resistance at all. stop immediately, take them out and re-try.
i usually set the screw in and turn it counter-clockwise just a tad until i feel it pop into place and line itself up..and then i screwing them in there.
"Traveling at the speed of dark"
agent number 4..I /rollz for the lulz...a new standard has been set.
This message was brought to you by your friends, at the other side.
<<

Milc

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:08 pm

Lol your supposed to wait atleast 10 min. Then move the hinges around to make sure it moves, if it sticks loosen its not too late lol, but yea I gota wait til 3pm tomorrow before i try flipping again. My M-tech twist comes on wed or thurs so ima loctite that too. I was a lil curious to the construction of the pivot. Design on the 42 is allot better than I was expecting. You get what you pay for I guess haha
-Milc
<<

casper21331

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:18 pm

Milc wrote:lol yea its not to be offensive. (Hence no gg noob you fail at spelling etc) I wish I had someone to help me with my German. My grammar sucks

sprechen Sie Deutsch?

Knives and rock n' roll, all you ever need.
PreviousNext

Return to Maintenance