FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Kimura V - Mirror finished blade?

Moderator: T-man

<<

ShavingSharp

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:37 am

Kimura V - Mirror finished blade?

Simple question, I just want to get people's opinions.

I have a decent amount of experience working with metal and buffers (In that it's my current profession..) And my college year is ending on Friday. I intend to, once I get home from campus, sand and buff my K5's spine so that it's easier on the knuckles and has a nice contrast. I'm debating whether or not I should go the full way and polish the entire blade to a mirror finish, or just the spine.

What say you veterans? Mirror finished blade, or just the spine?

Thanks,
Jeremy
<<

Erenoth

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:24 am

Re: Kimura V - Mirror finished blade?

Mittens had the same dilemma last month, and from what I believe, opted to just polish the spine. I'll tell you the same thing I relayed to him- polish it completely. It'll take a good deal longer, but the end result should be fantastic.
<<

MoreBeef

Beefin it.

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:14 am

I would go a different route. Do the spine of the blade, but then carry the shin down to the base of the blade, where it isn't ground. Around the Tang pins and such. Polish the handles as well. Would be unique, and pretty cool lookin.
Could be worse...I could be on the short bus with the other donut punchers.
Well dingalingong my dangalonglinglong.

11th place FAToC 2010!
I got your ass next year cocksmokers!!!
<<

ShavingSharp

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:37 am

MoreBeef wrote:I would go a different route. Do the spine of the blade, but then carry the shin down to the base of the blade, where it isn't ground. Around the Tang pins and such. Polish the handles as well. Would be unique, and pretty cool lookin.

Big problem here is that the Kimmy already has fairly slick handles - If I were to polish them, I'd send the knife flying when I did rollovers and such.
<<

MoreBeef

Beefin it.

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:20 pm

ShavingSharp wrote:
MoreBeef wrote:I would go a different route. Do the spine of the blade, but then carry the shin down to the base of the blade, where it isn't ground. Around the Tang pins and such. Polish the handles as well. Would be unique, and pretty cool lookin.

Big problem here is that the Kimmy already has fairly slick handles - If I were to polish them, I'd send the knife flying when I did rollovers and such.

Maybe just do the flats of the handles then...since most of the time your fingers are in contact with the edges...

11th place FAToC 2010!
<<

c.wigum

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:36 pm

I didn't like the look of the Polished Kimuras...... so didn't buy one. Guess I'm the wrong person to ask lol.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

ShavingSharp

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:37 pm

That might work... Depends on how deep the bead blasting (I believe that is the finish?) on the handle goes...

Thanks, beef, you've given me enough food for thought to get working :TU:
<<

HonorHer

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:25 pm

i polished every thing on my k3 and k6 except the very outside of the handles that means that ipolished the inside of the handles the blade the spine the edges of the handles and it is unique to me and i love it
"How many human eyes . . . had snatched glimpses of their secret anatomies, down the passages of years?"

Clive Barker
"Books of Blood" FIRE643
<<

Blackbird Lore

Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:12 am

HonorHer wrote:i polished every thing on my k3 and k6 except the very outside of the handles that means that ipolished the inside of the handles the blade the spine the edges of the handles and it is unique to me and i love it

Pictures?
Haters gonna hate.
<<

HonorHer

Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:16 pm

Blackbird Lore wrote:
HonorHer wrote:i polished every thing on my k3 and k6 except the very outside of the handles that means that ipolished the inside of the handles the blade the spine the edges of the handles and it is unique to me and i love it

Pictures?

i would have to have a working computer for pictures but you can see my video on my page its like the 3rd 4th or 5th newest one www.youtube.com/honorher
"How many human eyes . . . had snatched glimpses of their secret anatomies, down the passages of years?"

Clive Barker
"Books of Blood" FIRE643
<<

CDR_Glock

Post Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:34 am

ShavingSharp wrote:MoreBeef wrote:I would go a different route. Do the spine of the blade, but then carry the shin down to the base of the blade, where it isn't ground. Around the Tang pins and such. Polish the handles as well. Would be unique, and pretty cool lookin.Big problem here is that the Kimmy already has fairly slick handles - If I were to polish them, I'd send the knife flying when I did rollovers and such.

I can see how polishing the handles can cause issues with slipping. I have a polished 42 which is too slick. It is too smooth compared to the newer, rougher 42 handles. I don't touch the blade on rollovers so polishing the blade shouldn't have an effect.
<<

Mittens

Post Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:49 am

I polished the whole blade on my k2 before selling it, it looks damn good, but if you're gonna do it, you need to know what you're doing in order to get it right, the full blade is a crucial part of a good polishing job, there must be no imperfections. As for polishing other parts, I polished the edge of the handles and inside the handles of my k5, I will be polishing the whole thing when I get the time, I used to have a limited edition polished k3, and it wasn't very slick at all, still very much flippable, feel free to check out my polishing tutorial, my YouTube channel name is FlippinMittens
<<

ShavingSharp

Post Tue May 03, 2011 10:27 pm

Took me a while to get around to it, but I got to the buffers tonight. I did some experimenting with my compounds on just the spine and tiP of the blade on my K5. Turns out I can get a flawless mirror finish. If anyone's interested, I'll start a new thread tomorrow for my K5 remodeling. I'm going to take the whole blade (top to bottom, so this will include the pivot holes, tang pins and everything in between) to a mirror finish, polish the phosphor washers up to 2000 grit, reset the bevel at a new angle, sharpen it up to around 5000 grit, then strop it, and picture every last screw...

If anyone wants to see any ofthese steps in particular detail, let me know. Otherwise I'll just do basic pics and info.

Cheers,
Jeremy
<<

MoreBeef

Beefin it.

Post Tue May 03, 2011 11:41 pm

ShavingSharp wrote:Took me a while to get around to it, but I got to the buffers tonight. I did some experimenting with my compounds on just the spine and tiP of the blade on my K5. Turns out I can get a flawless mirror finish. If anyone's interested, I'll start a new thread tomorrow for my K5 remodeling. I'm going to take the whole blade (top to bottom, so this will include the pivot holes, tang pins and everything in between) to a mirror finish, polish the phosphor washers up to 2000 grit, reset the bevel at a new angle, sharpen it up to around 5000 grit, then strop it, and picture every last screw...

If anyone wants to see any ofthese steps in particular detail, let me know. Otherwise I'll just do basic pics and info.

Cheers,
Jeremy

I would be into watching that. Even some video footage would be good as well.

11th place FAToC 2010!
<<

Bladejunkie

Post Wed May 04, 2011 12:20 am

I second that. It would be very interesting
3rd place OKCA 2012
Next

Return to Maintenance