FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Extreme Arc Angel repair

Moderator: T-man

<<

savage12k

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:40 am

Extreme Arc Angel repair

This is the AA I bought from ArcBaliAngel. I have put lots of work into fixing this one...
Please people, learn how to care for your carbon steel! Otherwise you get this...
Attachments
Before, AA blade (2).JPG
ever!
Before, AA blade (2).JPG (78.91 KiB) Viewed 6734 times
Before, AA blade.JPG
Never, EVER, use a grinder to remove rust!
Before, AA blade.JPG (118.16 KiB) Viewed 6734 times
Before, Arc Angel.JPG
disassembled directly after delivery...
Before, Arc Angel.JPG (73.06 KiB) Viewed 6734 times
Angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night... Ginsberg.

Ut in acuta!!!

"Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Steady, Steady is Fast, and Fast is Deadly." 1Lt Chong, 4/6 Air Cav
<<

savage12k

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:43 am

Re: Extreme Arc Angel repair

massive damage.
Attachments
DSCF1986.JPG
the last before pic. Just had to show the "point" that was on this blade.
DSCF1986.JPG (61.6 KiB) Viewed 6733 times
Angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night... Ginsberg.

Ut in acuta!!!

"Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Steady, Steady is Fast, and Fast is Deadly." 1Lt Chong, 4/6 Air Cav
<<

savage12k

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:44 am

And now the after pics! sort of. I did more work after these were taken, I just have not taken the time to take more pics. having WAAAAY too much fun learning to flip my knife!

Ut in acuta!!!

<<

MoreBeef

Beefin it.

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:49 am

you gonna duracoat it? I would.
Could be worse...I could be on the short bus with the other donut punchers.
Well dingalingong my dangalonglinglong.

11th place FAToC 2010!
I got your ass next year cocksmokers!!!
<<

Silent Jay

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:54 am

Wow. That blade is honestly far more disgusting looking than I thought :lol:

Can't wait to see how it turned out.
Image jay
Looseyfur wrote:...spouting his wacky charlie sheen warlocks speech

15 of ?
It's just how we /roll

<<

savage12k

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:58 am

sorry... I suck at computers... here it is. I had to remove the latch, it kept getting in the way.
Attachments
DSCF2008.JPG
DSCF2008.JPG (153.25 KiB) Viewed 6728 times

Ut in acuta!!!

<<

savage12k

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:04 pm

No beefy, I am not. Unless you can show me a shiny duracoat?

SilentJay, It was REALLY bad. and that damn carbon5 steel is way hard. took me like three days of sanding and diamond grinding just to get the damn grinder marks out of it! but it holds a great edge! plus I am pretty sure that the blade specs are way off of what cold steel manufactured now. I need new washers. got a couple different sizes in PB coming in from knifekits.com right now.
Attachments
DSCF2007.JPG
DSCF2007.JPG (219.37 KiB) Viewed 6726 times

Ut in acuta!!!

<<

c.wigum

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:31 pm

Wow that is heaps better.... although if it were me I'd be contacting a knife maker about getting a new blade forged.

BTW.. think you sent me a PM by mistake.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

GetTheFood11

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:59 am

savage12k wrote:massive damage.

:o :shock: :o How sad!
Anyway, there is clear duracoat. Not sure that is shiny, but there are also metallic duracoat colors.
<<

savage12k

Post Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:19 am

c.wigum wrote:Wow that is heaps better.... although if it were me I'd be contacting a knife maker about getting a new blade forged.

BTW.. think you sent me a PM by mistake.

I am pretty sure that if a new blade is needed, I will just get some knifemaker grade Titanium...

I am pretty sure that I did not, but what did I say in this PM?

Ut in acuta!!!

<<

GetTheFood11

Post Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:15 am

A Ti blade? I don't think anyone really uses those because there was some reason, but I can't remember.
<<

DeadPuppy

Post Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:36 am

GetTheFood11 wrote:A Ti blade? I don't think anyone really uses those because there was some reason, but I can't remember.

Pound for pound, Ti is stronger. BUT, that's because there is so much more of it. A heat treated, hardened stainless steel blade is waaaaaay stronger (and denser, thus heavier) than a Ti blade of the same size.
"The best thing about killing a mime..is that they don't make any noise. It's the ultimate silent kill." -Vincent Dark
<<

Erenoth

Post Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:37 pm

TItanium is stronger, but as oddly as it may sound, is typically much softer than steel. As a result, it doesn't hold an edge consistently. Titanium, for the mostpart, is very brittle, and could quite literally crack or shatter when used for a thin knife blade.

So yeah. If you're going to replace the blade altogether, lean towards a "super grade" stainless steel such as S30V. Another amazing steel for a non-user such as a Balisong would be Spyderco's impossibletostain H-1 steel.
<<

MoreBeef

Beefin it.

Post Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:10 pm

Erenoth wrote:TItanium is stronger, but as oddly as it may sound, is typically much softer than steel. As a result, it doesn't hold an edge consistently. Titanium, for the mostpart, is very brittle, and could quite literally crack or shatter when used for a thin knife blade.

So yeah. If you're going to replace the blade altogether, lean towards a "super grade" stainless steel such as S30V. Another amazing steel for a non-user such as a Balisong would be Spyderco's impossibletostain H-1 steel.

There are Ti knives out there, but they usually have some carbide edge, like stellite or something of the sort. Stainless steels are ok, but carbon steels perform better, and are easier (read that cheaper) to work with. 1095, 5160, and the like have been, and continue to be, used for some of the best knives in the world. Carbon V it has been speculated is actually L6, a type of very wear resistant tool steel. What made it Carbon V was the proprietary heat treatment.

What I would like to see at some point is an M series steel bladed balisong. Just for shits and giggles. Trust me when I say you win the steel bench racing wars if you wull one out made of high speed tool steel.
Could be worse...I could be on the short bus with the other donut punchers.
Well dingalingong my dangalonglinglong.

11th place FAToC 2010!
I got your ass next year cocksmokers!!!
<<

savage12k

Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:08 am

MoreBeef wrote:
Erenoth wrote:TItanium is stronger, but as oddly as it may sound, is typically much softer than steel. As a result, it doesn't hold an edge consistently. Titanium, for the mostpart, is very brittle, and could quite literally crack or shatter when used for a thin knife blade.

There are Ti knives out there, but they usually have some carbide edge, like stellite or something of the sort. Stainless steels are ok, but carbon steels perform better, and are easier (read that cheaper) to work with. 1095, 5160, and the like have been, and continue to be, used for some of the best knives in the world. Carbon V it has been speculated is actually L6, a type of very wear resistant tool steel. What made it Carbon V was the proprietary heat treatment.

What I would like to see at some point is an M series steel bladed balisong. Just for shits and giggles. Trust me when I say you win the steel bench racing wars if you wull one out made of high speed tool steel.

Alright here we go, Knifemaker grade Ti is actually a Ti Alloy. I HATE stainless steel with the fury of the hearts of a thousand suns. Ti is not "softer" than Steel, it is less flexible. That lack of flexibility, is what makes it shatter so easily. Much like a true Katana, you need the strength, and the flexibility to make a true weapon of war... Katana's are a Hard steel folded around a more flexible metal, and then quenched in a certain method, which makes the edge super hard and strong, while the spine retains more flexibility, so the sword does not shatter on contact with another katana, or bone...And besides, I do not carry a knife that I will not use. And if I am wrong and Ti is turns out to not be a good blade material, I will just make one out of high carbon steel...

Ut in acuta!!!

Return to Maintenance