FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

4x latching problems

Moderator: T-man

<<

baliboy

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:50 pm

4x latching problems

hi my name is john and i have been into balisongs since i began karate in 1985. i am now 36 and the fire lives on :)

on a 4x spring latch does the titanium eventually wear thin where the latch locks the bali up and there fore make the latch/locking mechanism loose?
<<

MoreBeef

Beefin it.

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:54 pm

Re: 4x latching problems

You must go to introduce yourself. Once there, make a proper introduction. Until you do, no answers for you!
Could be worse...I could be on the short bus with the other donut punchers.
Well dingalingong my dangalonglinglong.

11th place FAToC 2010!
I got your ass next year cocksmokers!!!
<<

baliboy

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:13 pm

introduction posted!
<<

MoreBeef

Beefin it.

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:16 pm

I suppose it could, but I do not currently own a 42, nor have I personally experienced the problem you describe. If I'm not mistaken the latch itself is made from steel, while the handles are titanium. Steel being harder than Ti, it COULD wear it away. That said I think it might take a lot of latching/unlatching to make this happen. At any rate you could send it to Benchmade and see if they can make fixee fixee.
Could be worse...I could be on the short bus with the other donut punchers.
Well dingalingong my dangalonglinglong.

11th place FAToC 2010!
I got your ass next year cocksmokers!!!
<<

Fargaminium

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:23 pm

I think I heard somewhere that vince had a problem with that, that his latch is hardly functional now from such use. Ofcourse I doubt you're ever going to flip as much as he does but still I would think he'd be the person to ask, try PMing Vincent_Dark...
Muhammed Ali had it all wrong, butterflies sting plenty
<<

CDR_Glock

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:02 pm

baliboy wrote:hi my name is john and i have been into balisongs since i began karate in 1985. i am now 36 and the fire lives on on a 4x spring latch does the titanium eventually wear thin where the latch locks the bali up and there fore make the latch/locking mechanism loose?

The spring will fail before anything else.

Titanium will not wear thin.
<<

baliboy

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:06 pm

but the actual latch could right?
<<

Erenoth

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:17 pm

I'm 90% positive the latch is titanium. Exactly what kind of wear are you referring to? It's a bit hard to tell from the way you loosely described your issue. A photo, or even some shitty mspaint mockup would help me (us?) immensely.
<<

Silent Jay

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:24 pm

The latch isn't ti. I'm pretty sure it's actually made of steel though.

Just what I know.
Image jay
Looseyfur wrote:...spouting his wacky charlie sheen warlocks speech

15 of ?
It's just how we /roll

<<

baliboy

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:26 pm

its nothing i am experiencing now - i was just wondering if its something i should watch for down the road and therefore only lock it when i need to - like if i am carrying it.....
<<

baliboy

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:28 pm

to be more specific - where the latch goes into the handles to lock the bali. if this is repeated enough times won't either the handle or latch wear thinner and therefore loosen the latch/locking mechanism?
<<

Erenoth

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:29 pm

So, do you mean the round inprint in the handle that the latch sets in when closed? I excessively manipulate the latch on my 42, and have yet to see any wear regarding that.

Edit: didn't realize you posted again right before I did. To answer your question- no. You would have to try quite hard to damage the upper portion of the indent to the point where it won't lock. Popping the handles open t-latch style instead of squeezing the handles could do the trick much faster, too. In other words- squeeze the handles, though this is common sense.
Last edited by Erenoth on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

baliboy

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:32 pm

Erenoth wrote:So, do you mean the round inprint in the handle that the latch sets in when closed? I excessively manipulate the latch on my 42, and have yet to see any wear regarding that.

excessively manipulate meaning you lock it a lot? yes this is what i mean :)
<<

Erenoth

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:33 pm

baliboy wrote:
Erenoth wrote:So, do you mean the round inprint in the handle that the latch sets in when closed? I excessively manipulate the latch on my 42, and have yet to see any wear regarding that.

excessively manipulate meaning you lock it a lot? yes this is what i mean :)

Locking it often, and performing what I dub "latch drop aerials".
<<

Arcbaliangel

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:56 pm

ive owned 2 42's a 43 adn a 47. they all will lose latch tightness over time in the open or closed positon. part of it is the wear on the latch and the cup it sits in (the grippy edges of the cup is what will wear down and let it come open unintentonally) . the bigger issue is teh combination of the tang pin being slightly disformed from alot of flipping coupled with the latch being used over and over again. i do excessive latch drops and latch wokr and that does not effect the lockup. the only real issue is the two reasons i mentioned. and the tang pin only refers to latching it open. overall though if u dont abuse your balisong u will only lose a super tight lock up, not lock up all together. ive beat on my 42 alot and it still locks up good overall but is not what it used to be and im sure if i continue this it will end up like vincent darks where it will pop open with very little force. but again as someone mentioned maybe bm can fix the problem and its not a problem u will run into easily or quickly with reasonable flipping.

also i kind of like the fact i dont hav2 use to hands to lock my balisong anymnore and taht i can use a finger to do it, it makes transitioning from flipping noramlly to closed work a easy thing and with more flow. if anytuing when your latch holds firm but latches easily i would say u have a well broken in balisong, not to hard not to easy.
Arc
Flipping isn't a Crime, But not Flipping is ;]
Next

Return to Maintenance